• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MJG said:
Not good.....

So who was the PF, the FO or CAPT?

How "seriously" was the capain injured? Mentioned his seat failed, was that the cause of his injuries??

FO was landing, from the simulation recreation he touched down rather smooth and somehow got it airborne again, It looked like he was a little fast. It's rather easy to get her airborne again if your not careful, especially as light as they were. CA took over, bounced once more attempted to do a go around and failed when she stalled about 20 ft in the air and the left wing dropped. Too little too late. The go around may have been successful if they had completed the before landing checklist. Which calls to put the power management selector to takeoff which, in the event of a go-around the condition-levers will automatically snap to max RPM. It was left in the cruise position. Now we are required to bring the condition levers to max rpm before landing no matter what.

From the tower controller I talked to, the last bounce went as high as the trees next to the rwy. Look on airliners.net you'll see how high that is.

The FO was just out of IOE and the CA, as rumor has it, was not an easy person to get along with and was riding the FO pretty hard on the 20 min flight.

Last edited:
AlabamaMan!! said:
T-PROP,

Where did you find that NTSB synopsis? I can't locate it.

They will probably post it soon. They just concluded the investigation last week.

From the video it looks like everything was fine until numnuts capytan said my airplane and the thing took off again.

If somebody would've just closed the power levers the first OR second time around, there would've been lot less paperwork. FO's - you haven't felt joy until the captain takes the controls from you and then promptly fcuks both parties. That is a precious moment.

I agree with the last two posts. Although it's difficult to tell from the animation, it definitely does appear that if the captain had left well enough alone, everyone would have walked away from just another less-than-stellar landing.

Having flown in both seats myself, I'm going to go further out on a limb here and say that captains who ride FOs like this guy often are not very good pilots themselves (domineering, yet insecure and/or inept -- a very bad combination), and ought to think twice before taking the controls away from the FO at high speed and close to the ground.

I couldn't help but notice the nonstandard callouts might have contributed to the accident.

"Your power in a little bit."
"Get the power"

What does that mean?

"Add power." "Reduce power." That's a clear instruction.

"Get the power" is about as ambiguous as you can get. A guy on his first trip off IOE might not have any idea what he wanted.

Latest resources

Back