• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Results of Eagle Flight 5401 Accident Investigation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This could have easily happened to a healthy pilot who had a good nights sleep and was not under the influence of any substances.

What we have here is an inexperienced pilot who just got off IOE and flew with a CA who may have been intimidating him the entire trip, making him feel inadequate and inferior. In other words making him feel uncomfortable. It is not surprising that his skills may have deteriorated a little and he botched the landing. In my experience, the more cofnident you are about your skills, the better you will fly, or do anything in life for that matter. When someone tries to lower your self esteem or confidence, it will have an effect on your performance.

I think that if he just let the FO finsih the landing, all would be fine. The exchange of controls and the attempt to salavage the landing rather than lose face, cost the captain an accident.

Personally, I think it is the CA's fault. This was a botched recovery at a minimum. The FO should have completed the landing or they should have gone around. Period.

I don't recall reading anything about a positive drug test for Xanax, only that the pilot had a non-disclosed preexisting condition.

I was in training with the FO last year. It was tragic to say the least, The Captain, while I (fortunately) never got to fly with, definately had a bit of a Rep as being a real jerk. As for the FO it was his second leg off of IOE. The ATR72 is a lot of plane to jump into from Barrons and Cirrus. Heavy Controlls and a lawndart if you pull the powers all the way out. It also lands very flat, even unnatrally so if comparing to most GA planes, which the FO was coming out of.

The WX conditions were worse than the Report stated as well, with the winds the FO should not have been landing in the first place- Per GOM for green pilots.

The pics that were floating around the SJU crew room of the plane were very sobering and looked a lot worse than the injuries were. The CA broke Back/vertibrae from the seat failure. The Center pedestal was in 3 pieces and the over head panel was damaged greatly. The FO had a large gash on his forehead (never asked but probablly from no shoulder harnesses). Outside the last 10 feet of the Left wing was impaled into the ground and the left engine was hanging straight down, Left main was gone, Nosegear was gone and the aluminum under the nosegear and cockpit was wrinkled and crushed.

I heard conflicting reports of the drug usage, as far as weather he was taking it at or near the time of the accident, others were that he volunteed the info and the FAA and AMR came down on him for lying on a medical application and therefore lying on his job application, but it was from years prior. Like I said Not sure of the facts on that one other than what was in the Report.

He was a good guy, not particularly thrilled about being in SJU, but still had everyhing that could go wrong did all at once.

Makes us all realise how demanding and specialized our training and job requirement is. Not if only we were paid accordingly (oops that another thread)

Yo ALABAMMAN..........what he up to nowadays? We got a few drunk dials from him a few months back, but that was all, heard was back at his old school ground instructing. He loved that song....

Wild Wacky Action Bike........Can't Ride It; Can't Ride It

He's back at the flight school; He keeps all the CFI's in check and does advanced stage checks, etc.

I feel really bad for the guy. He's a great guy and was a good friend. He doesnt really like to hang out much with anyone anymore ; Turns out it wasn't his fault but had a "skeleton in the closet". Not sure exactly where he is in getting his medical back, or if he even has to take a 709 ride now that it was found the captain to be at fault.

Whats gonna happen with the Capt.? I also heard from a couple Beagle guys that he was a real c0ck when in charge. Guess that finally bit him in the a$$. Goes to show you how being "professional" can have a big outcome in the successful completion of a flight.

I use this unfortunate accident as a reminder not to let my guard down, and that anything could happen to anyone on any day, regardless of experience.

The bike thats hard to ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Captain had amble opportunity to execute a go around, not once but twice, he failed to do so.

May 9, 2001, the physician wrote in the pilot's medical records, in part: "26-year-old male comes in today for "years" of ongoing chest and throat tightness. ... He says it often comes on when there is bad weather and he has to fly, or when he has to give his briefing talk to several people."

Probably NOT the kind of guy cut out to be a professional pilot...

I always hated AMR's AAstronaut physical, thinking it as unnecessary and intrusive.

Now it looks like there is something to it (had they actually screened the guy out--since they didn't, does that make me right, after all?)

While I was at Eagle I always heard about the ATR 72 not liking the power off. I've never flown the ATR but I would guess that if your wheels are on the ground it is okay to take the power off. I would also bet money that although the FO screwed the approach...he probably would have made a better recovery as he was also a more recent CFI. CFI's are usually pretty good at saving bounced landings.

later

Ive also never flown an ATR, but it didnt really look like the approach was screwed. Flat landing, yeah. Its been my experience that adding some back pressure usually helps, regardless of how flat you need to land an airplane. Does anyone really fly an airplane that requires no back pressure (transport cat.) when about to touchdown? It may not have been a greaser...but had the capt. let the F/O figure it out and given him clear instructions....they both may have jobs right now.

Latest resources

Back