• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

resigning...early????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
better have a good reason for your next interview, particularily if you leave without another job. Interviewers will look at that as hard to explain.

Wouldn't worry about it. I've left two jobs just since 09/11 and simply be honest with the interviewers.

"An opportunity presented itself which offered better compensation, improved quality of life, more time with my family, etc."

Pilots are very loyal people. We treat our airlines like a marriage (or a favorite football team). We are generally willing to go down with the ship. Why? At the first indication of economic strife they will display no such loyalty to you!

If you have truly found what you perceive to be a better offer -- take it. Having to explain it in yet ANOTHER interview down the road is not a reason to sacrifice your quality of life in the short-term. Who knows? Perhaps this better job may be your last.

Despite all of the talk about the 2007 hiring boom, there will still be thousands of pilots who will -- either by choice or by the hand of fate -- not make the transition to the so-called "majors". Might as well position yourself as best as is possible for that eventuality.

If the place you are now really cared if people left they would have a positive environment that makes people want to stay.

snap145 said:
questionfor the expirienced....how many bad bricks are being laid if someone were to leave training at a 121 to go to a MUCH better 121..no contract...very dissapointed with ac assignment reserve time pay etc????

just leave, people do it all the time.

Dont listen to any of that BS about it affecting you later in interviews. Anyone who thinks like that must be work for one of the $hitbag outfits and cant understand why pilots keep leaving and costing them training dollars.....

Anyone with a brain in their head would understand that you take the better opportunity whenever its presented...and usually its at the wrong time.

Look out for #1.

I'm not disagreeing with the advice to leave, that has to be a personal decision. But loyalty is a 2 way street. It’s a bit hypocritical to bitch about how airlines are not loyal to pilots when everyone here would immediately jump ship themselves. Perhaps (just perhaps) the airline in question would improve QOL a bit if there training costs weren’t so high, due to turnover. Call me old fashioned but I believe in keeping my word. And I wouldn't justify breaking my word by assuming the other guy would do it to me also.

That said...most airline mgmt types at lower tier carriers understand their role in the industry. i.e. entry-level job with corresponding pay and QOL. Therefore they do not expect you to retire there, however they do expect to recoup their investment in you. Stuff like this is the reason training contracts are now industry standard.

Not trying to start an argument but somebody had to play devil's advocate.

i completley agree with you cstyle...however my current company has no contract so no harm no foul right?

I think you need to be honest and upfront with both employers, don't commit to a time that you are not willing to serve. I've been passed over for a job upgrade recently that I WAS upfront about NOT commiting to a 2 year stay and I received a great recomend from the employer for a better job op. that came up.

That said be honest in your reason for leaving.

Just be sure to give a two weeks notice so that you don't burn a bridge in case things get bad and you might HAVE to go back.

Snap,
If you handle this the right way there will most likely be no damage to your career or reputation. My point was loyalty is a 2 way street, and the vast majority of pilots aren't any more loyal than the companies they work for. The era of employer/employee loyalty died some time ago. That doesn’t mean it is OK to cut and run on a company that has made a substantial financial investment in you. (contract or not) I think 1 year is a reasonable amount of time to expect someone to stay. Less than that and you run the risk of burning a bridge. Less than 6 months and you will most likely burn a bridge.

Like the others have said, be 100% upfront and honest, and it will probably all work out fine. Good Luck

Latest resources

Back