Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

orioncontract

Jr Mmbr @ Large
Any reservists flying for Comair? I'm trying to find out about 'military leave' and being a reservist while I work for Comair. Since I've not set foot 'on the property,' I can't look it up in the contract. I'm wondering how difficult it is to try to consistently fly with a reserve unit as far as the whole bidding process goes.

Post or PM me if you can shed light on this. Thanks in advance.

From what I can tell, Comair treats Reservists the same like any other airline. It shouldn't be a problem splitting time between Comair and the Reserves. At the most, you have to provide a copy of your orders, or if your on a TP or UTA just a letter from someone in your squadron.

RichO is right. Also, Comair uses a computerized preferential bidding system for biding schedules. When you know your reserve days enough in advance, this makes it easier to bid around them and not lose money or days off. It takes some understanding of the system but can be done rather easily once you learn it.

My main concern is regarding my junior status at Comair and my reserve unit wanting me to drill frequently. The reserve unit is quite flexible because they are an augmentation unit to one of the training wings, so all it takes is a phonecall to my training squadron's scheduling office, and I'm on the next day's schedule.

The reserve office is very hands off, unless you drill too much and go over your quota, or unless you don't drill at all and the squadron has to use stan pilots to get you current again, which causes them to lose a production sortie, defeating the purpose of having you in the first place.

So my worry is that by sitting reserve a lot, I won't be able to get sufficient time outside of CVG to drill. There are currently no regional guys in the unit, but there are quite a few Delta guys, and they are the ones who told me about the use of 'military leave' to ensure that the bid you receive is going to allow you to do a week's or even a couple weeks' worth of drills for every month. They did caveat their advice with "...that's how it is at Delta, and it's been since before the new contract that Joe Schmuckatelli worked there, but you may want to ask him."

I'm not sure if you or RichO are reservists, but to your knowledge, is this something I can make a part of my bid every month?

I'm a reservist, and haven't started training at Comair yet, so my knowledge of the how the airlines handle it is based off of what I hear from my fellow reservists and a few of the other guys/gals on this board. From what my fellow reservists have said (mainline, and regional folks), they have had no problem fitting both jobs in. I've been told that once I figure out the whole airline bidding, I shouldn't have a problem fitting in the Reserves.

COMAIR Specific...

Thanks for the response, but I'm already familiar with the generalities.

I'm looking for specifics from someone already flying at Comair that also drills outside of CVG, and how they incorporate at least a week of drilling every month, if not two, into their bid, or if that is even possible at Comair.

Please post or PM.

There is a way to bid for GL (government leave).

After entering your bid, type // GL (dates required...ex: 05-10), then ENTER. If you have to do something last minute, fill out a leave request form, specify GL, then turn it into the chief pilots office for approval. I used both methods and never had a problem. It's helpful to leave a copy of your yearly training calendar with drill dates for their reference.

Having said all that, be carefull using GL in bidding as your seniority increases. There will be a time when using the GL bid will place you on reserve even though you're senior enough to hold a line. After becoming a line holder, you may be able to bid around your military training days and minimize your pay loss. Each day of GL will reduce your guarantee by 3.75 hours.

After becoming a line holder, I bid around drill weekends. If I didn't get those days off, I requested leave through the chief pilots office. I never had a problem.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back