• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reserve Component Commitments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I got out after 2 years of flying after doing research and found there was no regulation. They told me I had a commitment and I said...prove it...they could not...I did have a Lt.Col in the unit who had my back during it because he knew I was right...was not the most popular guy in the unit during that time...but I got what I wanted

I got back in after a 1 1/2 of not flying but that was for job security reasons

So you flew the Herk for two years and then punched? And then got back in so you could have some paycheck security?

Well I got out after 2 years of flying after doing research and found there was no regulation. They told me I had a commitment and I said...prove it...they could not...I did have a Lt.Col in the unit who had my back during it because he knew I was right...was not the most popular guy in the unit during that time...but I got what I wanted

I got back in after a 1 1/2 of not flying but that was for job security reasons

You get fries with that too?.....

for the record..the Guard does not have a service commitment...I found this out the hard way but in fact there is no regulation in the Guard for a service commitment.

I think you are refering to an Active Duty Service Obligation (Army term, ADSO) for initial or follow on aircraft qualification. If so, your state may not be able to hold your feet to the fire, but I believe the service involved (Army or Air Force) can keep you in the IRR for the obligatory time if they desire.

Many's the time guys told me I was foolish for keeping active with the Guard and Reserve. They told me you could make a weekend's drill pay by picking up an extra trip, and didn't have to risk going to war, or put up with the BS of the service. A lot of those guys got furloughed in the past few years. A few years ago, a friend of mine who flew C141s in the AF ('81 -'89) and was a captain at a major airline asked me if I thought they would let him back in the AF Reserve for another 12 years, just to drill for points. He said the airline had completely destroyed his retirement and he had no prospect of medical coverage.

The moral of the story is that things change. Don't burn your bridges. And, as we used to say in the Army, "Don't live it up if you can't live it down."

I think you are refering to an Active Duty Service Obligation (Army term, ADSO) for initial or follow on aircraft qualification. If so, your state may not be able to hold your feet to the fire, but I believe the service involved (Army or Air Force) can keep you in the IRR for the obligatory time if they desire.

Many's the time guys told me I was foolish for keeping active with the Guard and Reserve. They told me you could make a weekend's drill pay by picking up an extra trip, and didn't have to risk going to war, or put up with the BS of the service. A lot of those guys got furloughed in the past few years. A few years ago, a friend of mine who flew C141s in the AF ('81 -'89) and was a captain at a major airline asked me if I thought they would let him back in the AF Reserve for another 12 years, just to drill for points. He said the airline had completely destroyed his retirement and he had no prospect of medical coverage.

The moral of the story is that things change. Don't burn your bridges. And, as we used to say in the Army, "Don't live it up if you can't live it down."

That is why I got back in. I thought about it and it was worth it. The only reason I left before is because I lived out of state from the unit and keeping the airline gig and flying at the unit to stay current was not working out. Live and learn I guess. But I have a good deal for now and do not have to commute to either, so we will see where it leads.

RedDogC130 said:
I can see the 180 in the g/r but not the 7 months...never heard of a unit unvol for that long...Am I missing something.

High demand, small community would be my guess. I'm not up to speed on USAF lingo to make any more of an educated statement.

I know plenty of AF types who have seen their fare share of the desert and mountains. To make such a statement is not only ignorant, but disrespectful.

Last edited:
That is why I got back in. I thought about it and it was worth it. The only reason I left before is because I lived out of state from the unit and keeping the airline gig and flying at the unit to stay current was not working out. Live and learn I guess. But I have a good deal for now and do not have to commute to either, so we will see where it leads.

How did you get another unit to hire you? Quitting like that would have black-balled you in a bunch of units.

Latest resources

Back