Reserve at Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

regionalcap

Just wanted to see if someone can explain the reserve system at Delta. How much of it is long call versus short call? How many days off do you typically get with a reserve line? Thanks for the info.

Minimum days off is 11 for a 30 day month and 12 for a 31 day month.

Every day on reserve is a long call day. You get 12 hours to report.

You can be converted to short call up to 8 times per month. You must be given 10 hours notice to be converted to short call (like getting assigned a trip). Domestic short call is a 12 hour block of time.

As for what is typical, it depends on the airplane, base, and time of year. Right now I haven't done a single short call the last 3 months and I have filled up to the average line value each of the last 3 months prior to the 20th (meaning I got the rest of the month off). If the airline gets staffed properly in the winter when the block hours go down I would expect that to change...but I really don't expect us to get staffed properly so I'm not that worried about it.

FWIW, I commute from IAH-JFK and have only spent 1 night in my crashpad since May. Last year when I commuted to ATL and was on reserve, I didn't even have a crashpad and never bought more then 2 hotels a month.

You can be converted to short call up to 8 times per month. You must be given 10 hours notice to be converted to short call (like getting assigned a trip). Domestic short call is a 12 hour block of time.

As for what is typical, it depends on the airplane, base, and time of year. Right now I haven't done a single short call the last 3 months and I have filled up to the average line value each of the last 3 months prior to the 20th (meaning I got the rest of the month off). If the airline gets staffed properly in the winter when the block hours go down I would expect that to change...but I really don't expect us to get staffed properly so I'm not that worried about it.

FWIW, I commute from IAH-JFK and have only spent 1 night in my crashpad since May. Last year when I commuted to ATL and was on reserve, I didn't even have a crashpad and never bought more then 2 hotels a month.

Thanks for the great info.

Why did you transfer from ATL to JFk? Just curious.

FlyinSig,

Question for you regarding taxes. Since you live in Texas and your DAL domicile is in NYC, does the state of NY or New York City take any taxes out of your paycheck? Being that the area is in the democratic taxation stronghold of the northeast, I am curious if you have to pay state and/or city taxes because that is where your place of work is.

Thanks in advance.

FlyinSig,

Question for you regarding taxes. Since you live in Texas and your DAL domicile is in NYC, does the state of NY or New York City take any taxes out of your paycheck? Being that the area is in the democratic taxation stronghold of the northeast, I am curious if you have to pay state and/or city taxes because that is where your place of work is.

Thanks in advance.

They will tax out state of NY disability taxes which is just over a buck per check. No state or city taxes.

FlyinSig,

Thanks in advance.

USC 49 Sec 14503 deals with interstate transportation employees.
"The pay of an air carrier employee who
has regularly assigned duties on an
aircraft in at least two states (e.g. a pilot
or flight attendant) is subject to income
taxation by his or her state of residence
and any state in which the employee
earns more than 50% of the pay received."

This begs the question "How does the state of NY determine if 50% of you pay was earned in NY?"

Don't know the exact NY answer, but pretty sure if you are flying for Delta you will not earn 50% of your income in the state of NY.

Good luck and be sure to consult a tax professional. Many accountants and tax preparers specialize in travel industry employees and are be well worth the money.​

Don't know the exact NY answer, but pretty sure if you are flying for Delta you will not earn 50% of your income in the state of NY.
What if you are based in New York?

What if you are based in New York?

It doesn't matter, because you are not only flying inside of NY, but are crossing state lines when you fly. If you live in NY, that's a different story, but if you commute, don't worry about it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back