Reserve at Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pay is listed on airlinepilotcentral.com

My next raise is in October ;) (longevity) but the next contractual raise is Jan 1. It's a minimum of 1.5% up to a maximum of 6% depending on how much or little the company makes. Right now people are saying it's going to be 6% but until I see it in my check I'm only banking on 1.5%.

I went to JFK for the ER flying and have better senority on the ER (supposed to be a lineholder by fall) vs ATL but with this big bid that just came out if I can hold a line in ATL I'll go back there... that's the "good" part of commuting - flexibility.

As for taxes, no NY anything tax comes out of my check. The only tax deductions on my paycheck are Federal Inc. , Medicare, and SS (which actually I already maxed out for the year so that isn't coming out anymore).

Thanks Sig, I will probably be the most junior in my class because of my SS# so I am planning on JFK.

Does anyone know what the most junior bid was in the last class?

I'd like to tag on a little to what Sig said.....

While our reserve system sucks, its not as bad as other airlines. This is why you'll find the wide body eqp going so junior. People filling up in category, and overtime flying is abundant. Not many people want to sit short call res. in NYC. Also if you get assigned M88 or 73N as a newbie, you are required to cover all 3 NY airports.
This may change as the airline gets staffed, but as Sig said, I don't see that happening anytime in the near future.

There are ways to game the reserve system but basically you are either going to fly a lot, or fly really really a lot.

Like I mentioned above, I tend to fill up early which ends up giving me more time off (so in that sense, I'm not really flying a lot of days, just a lot of hours). Thanks to a few long taxi times in JFK that gave some nice over scheduled block time I ended up working only 9 days last month. If everything had gone on schedule I probably would have had to work 12 days (an extra 3 day trip). My paycheck was 79.5 hours.

Also... in regards to the NYC and the 3 airports... yes that sucks and personally I wouldn't commute to NYC on a narrow body ... BUT if you're on the 88, then 85% of your flying is shuttle flying out of LGA with a splash of JFK and I think MAYBE 1 or 2 EWR trips that tend to go real senior anyway to the locals. The biggest problem with the NYC narrowbody flying is that there isn't a lot that's commutable on both ends. Either early shows or too late release times, otherwise the quality of the trips up there tend to be better then ATL.

Last edited:
What are the 800 trips like out of NYC? I imagine the majority are out of JFK since LGA is mostly 88 now. What percentage are int'l?

Also, I thought reserve in NYC is a 3-hr call-out to one of the 3 airports.

How does Delta deal with seniority in a new hire class? I saw where it is by SS#, but which side, high or low? Thanks

Also, I thought reserve in NYC is a 3-hr call-out to one of the 3 airports.

Long call is a 12 hour report to show time. Doesn't matter which airport.

Short call is "reasonale time" to "a" airport, which in NY is generally 3 hours and yes, you can be 3 hours from EWR and not be 3 hours from JFK and still be good.... however we're so short of pilots it's doubtful they'll pass on you for the trip so you'll still be flying it.

How does Delta deal with seniority in a new hire class? I saw where it is by SS#, but which side, high or low? Thanks

Last 4 digits, highest is the most senior. 9999 is more senior than 0011.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back