Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Requesting training for ditching in the Hudson?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder how many sims would give accurate feedback for a ditching?

You could still practice the procedures and thought processes to get configured, but as far as the acutal touchdown and the end result? I would think that the programming and visuals of most simulators would not work to well for ditching?

AND why isn't it a requirement for ETOPS training to at least train and perform a ditching once?

ETOPS= Engines Turn Or Packages Sink

ASA trains dual flameout and relight in the sim. During my training they had us land with a dual flameout with no succ. relight. There was also discussion of use of the emergency depress/cabin dump to keep the airplane from exploding on impact and allow the doors to open to escape if a ditching scenario came up.

Last edited:
I got to ditch in the Hudson in the 1900 sim years ago. It stopped fairly quickly, settled tail low and bobbed gently in the waves. Of course the 1900 doesn't have engines hanging under the wings.

Landed on the 405 after dual engine out on the lax 24r app. I dont think it turned out so well, screen went red.

We did a ditch in the ATR sim at Eagle back in the '90's. I think I did one in the 737-800 at ATA, as well. It's in the QRH.

Dead sticked the -80 last time in sim from downwind, made the runway, probaby lit up the wheels pretty good getting it stopped.
With left over/extra time likewise, 'you guys been wanting to try/practice anything?'

I've heard this from the cool instructors many a time.....

"We got some extra time, You Charles Lindberg types been wanting to try/practice anything else?"

Err, ahh, of course for that one time I thought I had made a mistake!

As luck would have it I was wrong for the first time in my life and didn't actually make one!

:laugh:

Can a A319/320 driver clarify the "ditch switch" for me? I was looking though my company A310/300 QRH's but don't see such a switch.

I'm assuming it's a singles button that accomplishes the following: closes all outflow valves, depressurizes cabin, closes engine/apu bleed air valves, and closes ram air, but wasn't sure.

Thanks

Can a A319/320 driver clarify the "ditch switch" for me? I was looking though my company A310/300 QRH's but don't see such a switch.

I'm assuming it's a singles button that accomplishes the following: closes all outflow valves, depressurizes cabin, closes engine/apu bleed air valves, and closes ram air, but wasn't sure.

Thanks

You are on the right track but an Airbus guy needs to take it further.... I could tell you how to unfold an Airbus jump seat but that it would probably be breach of security to some "great mind" on FI.

Latest resources

Back