Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Requesting training for ditching in the Hudson?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F9 Buff

So all this talk of the training for every kind of situation such as ditching in the Hudson got me wondering...

I know that stuff like this is not covered in training at Regionals and I am pretty sure this stuff is not covered in training at Major but now that the press seems to be under this impression that airline pilots get all this amazing training, that got me to wondering...

What would happen if a pilot, green FO fresh out of indoc, or a high seniority CA called up training tomorrow at their respective airline and asked to do some sort of additional training for some off the wall situation like, I dont know, a dual engine failure just after takeoff from LGA? Or maybe a loss of the vertical stab after taking off from JFK? Perhaps even a fuel starvation scenerio over middle of nowhere Canada or any other of a million situations that could happen?

Does anyone think that their training department would accomodate this or would they tell you to pound sand after they fired you for not knowing and being proficient with these scenerios?

At ASA we trained dual engine failure out of JFK, FWIW. With extra sim time (as in finished a check an hour early) they'd let you try anything.

Most would practice the emergency evac to home.

Last edited:
Dead sticked the -80 last time in sim from downwind, made the runway, probaby lit up the wheels pretty good getting it stopped.
With left over/extra time likewise, 'you guys been wanting to try/practice anything?'

Friend had some feds in Airbus sim today for their type rides. He said yesterday he was going to have a new scenerio for them out of LGA. Seems the federales he has, have been giving him some problems through their training....LOL...would love to see how they do.

I wonder how many sims would give accurate feedback for a ditching?

You could still practice the procedures and thought processes to get configured, but as far as the acutal touchdown and the end result? I would think that the programming and visuals of most simulators would not work to well for ditching?

AND why isn't it a requirement for ETOPS training to at least train and perform a ditching once?

You could still practice the procedures and thought processes to get configured, but as far as the acutal touchdown and the end result? I would think that the programming and visuals of most simulators would not work to well for ditching?

AND why isn't it a requirement for ETOPS training to at least train and perform a ditching once?

After this accident they should have some pretty good data recovered on what the parameters are for a successful ditching. Hopefully they incorporate that into the sim software.

Ditch/Crash

Pretty sure the sim would register/display the ditching as a crash.

Its not ditching training, but I did get a V1 cut with an opposite engine fire in the sim. Made it back but had to deadstick to the runway. So you do get oddball stuff every once in awhile.

When you wrote "ditching training" I thought you meant calling in sick for your displacement requal.

Are these majors with their own training centers that you guys are getting this "oddball" training at?

I can see this happening when you are done with what had to be done and there is time left over aftr a PC, but is that the only time this stuff happens?

What happens if you call up out of the blue and ask for some sim time to work on some stuff of your choosing?

Latest resources

Back