• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic's Q 400 operation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please tell me how calling in sick is illegal? From a "legal" stand point everything has to be "proven" and while they are trying to "prove" what is going on the company is losing money. I'm not a union guy and if I was I would be saying the exact same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think RAH Pilots are teamsters and they should be using every available option!!!

Calling in sick if you're truly unable to comply with your medical requirements is not illegal. However, the company does take immediate disciplinary action for all sick calls. We have a point system, called "occurences". Too many of those and you get harassed by the ACP then eventually fired. Somehow, this is referred to as a "non-punitive" sick call policy. Our POI is quite OK with it.

Gazoo, I like you come from a long line of union members, but there's a big difference between unions. Your trying to apply National Labor Relations Act laws to a Railway Labor Act field. They are not the same.

From Wiki:
"The Railway Labor Act bans strikes by United States airline and railroad employees except in narrowly defined circumstances. The National Labor Relations Act generally permits strikes, but provides a mechanism to enjoin strikes in industries in which a strike would create a national emergency. The federal government most recently invoked these statutory provisions to obtain an injunction requiring the International Longshore and Warehouse Union return to work in 2002 after having been locked out by the employer group, the Pacific Maritime Association. Some jurisdictions prohibit all strikes by public employees, under laws such as the "Taylor Law" in New York. Other jurisdictions impose strike bans only on certain categories of workers, particularly those regarded as critical to society: police and firefighters are among the groups commonly barred from striking in these jurisdictions. Some states, such as New Jersey, Michigan, Iowa or Florida, do not allow teachers in public schools to strike. Workers have sometimes circumvented these restrictions by falsely claiming inability to work due to illness — this is sometimes called a "sickout" or "blue flu", the latter receiving its name from the uniforms worn by police officers, who are traditionally prohibited from striking. The term "red flu" has sometimes been used to describe this action when undertaken by firefighters."

If you don't buy that, then read this.

http://money.cnn.com/1999/04/15/travelcenter/pilots/

Short version you can NOT interrupt interstate commerce, in any way, without it first being approved by the NMB and government.

Latest resources

Back