Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic looking at Bombardier C-Series to Maybe Replace F9 Airbuses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe they will get a deal to swap out a lot of the older CHQ CRJs for the newer C-Series (as part of a total package). I am sure Bombardier is anxious to get some big names signed-on for the new aircraft.

crjs are almost gone, only one or two left and they will be gone in Jan.

this is simply a ploy to get a better deal from airbus

That sounds logical, but stranger things have happened. Note that Transstates just ordered something like 30-40 Mitsubishi Regional Jets with no competing pitches from the other manufacturers. Bombardier wants some big names ordering its C-Series (beyond Swissair/Lufthansa) and Republic would be a huge win (and maybe start the ball rolling with other US carriers). Should be interesting to watch. At least the F9 pilots will keep their side-sticks either way...

Now they can call a 130 seat aircraft a regional jet and expect guys to fly them for $17.00 an hour.... That's my guess.

Now they can call a 130 seat aircraft a regional jet and expect guys to fly them for $17.00 an hour.... That's my guess.

Out of Bryan Bedfords mouth "We are also a different airline in that we are the only regional using the E-jets.”

He is able to ACHIEVE and HOLD-ON TO SLAVE WAGES by spewing out this statement to his gullable and eager crews.<---MANIPULATE and USE MIND GAMES by degrading and lowering the value of the Ejet and his Airline.

That EJET is PRETTY BIG to be considered an Rj. THE PAY SHOULD EQUATE OR EXCEED Jblue or AirCanda.

Wake up!

CYA

Out of Bryan Bedfords mouth "We are also a different airline in that we are the only regional using the E-jets.”

He is able to ACHIEVE and HOLD-ON TO SLAVE WAGES by spewing out this statement to his gullable and eager crews.<---MANIPULATE and USE MIND GAMES by degrading and lowering the value of the Ejet and his Airline.

That EJET is PRETTY BIG to be considered an Rj. THE PAY SHOULD EQUATE OR EXCEED Jblue or AirCanda.

Wake up!

CYA

That is the exact reason why I wouldn't expect a monumental contract (whenever it finally comes). BB and crew are masterminds at manipulation and the reasoning will be that RAH is not on the same level as even LCCs (AT, JetBlue, SWA) who they are competing against. The airlines needs to operate on lowering the value of the E-Jet (very good words). BB in his own words said they are looking at a fleet replacement for the Airbii. Although the C-Series would compete with the aircraft they are replacing, he could sucessfully lower the "value" of the airframe since there is no reference point for a pay scale. JetBlue brought the E190 online using this logic in my opinion. There were other aircraft already out there with similar seat numbers, yet the pay was set (and has almost become a standard to negotiate against) since it was a new type. Pay is yet a small portion of total compensation, but obviously has been a historical benchmark to measure against. QOL increases can yield a greater percentage change, but I just don't see it happening for RAH. The reason is because of what you have stated...the value of the airline and employee groups because management is sucessful at portraying the airline as a regional. Insurance costs, retirement, schedules, basing, and numerous other issues in play will fall behind in negotiation because there is a ideological divide between the carriers perceived as "large" and those as "regionals". The biggest uphill battle I see is that Frontier and the name Midwest did not bring RAH to large airline status, but marginalized them into regionals. It is going to be interesting how the airline moves forward.

How many seats on a 717? Probably 120-130 - right? So, by some peoples' definition, a 717 could be considered a large RJ. Again, it is all semantics. The larger C-Series with 140 pax will be as big as a 717 or A319 which obviously are not considered RJs.

How many seats on a 717? Probably 120-130 - right? So, by some peoples' definition, a 717 could be considered a large RJ. Again, it is all semantics. The larger C-Series with 140 pax will be as big as a 717 or A319 which obviously are not considered RJs.

our 99 seater rates paid up to 40% more for CA's and up to 300% more for FO's versus the E190 rates Bedford is shelling out now.

but hey they wishfully think they'll get good rates with their next contract. hahaha.

Calling it a "regional" or "major" aircraft has ZERO influence on pay rates. Pay rates are influenced by your leverage to negotiate better pay. Regionals have very little leverage because they can be replaced by any other regional at any time. Major or "branded" pilots can negotiate high pay because they have SCOPE - their jobs can't be transferred to a lower paid colleague. Or in Jetblue's case (no scope) they at least have managment that understands that their passengers will not come back if they find themselves riding on a CRJ with poor service and no live TV. That leverage doesn't exist in the regional world so the wages are lower.

Regional pilots don't WANT to work for less - the market (even with the influence of unions) dictates that they WILL work for less.

I thought we had 162 on the 320's...

also your "most" should be replaced with "all" every time you use it above.

Just flew a 319 with 132 still. Don't fly the 318's often enough to know - I probably stand corrected on the 320.

Doesn't matter how many seats the 717 or the A318 has. They are considered mainline aircraft. As long as their is an E or C in front of the aircraft type management will consider it an RJ. Embraer could have a 180 seater and it will be considered an RJ unless the pilots stand up and say enough is enough. The Midwest pilots payed the ultimate price trying to standup for fair payscales... we untimately got shafted for doing it, but at least we had the balls to tell B.B to F*** OFF with his bull$hit payrates.

Latest resources

Back