• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic Airways to buy 10 jets from US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Once upon a time, a "regional" airline in Texas started flying 737s for lower pay, worse workrules, and no retirement....Now that airline is a place that many want to work....

Funny how we don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot....

I get the reference, but RJET is not WN.

All true....

Once upon a time, a "regional" airline in Texas started flying 737s for lower pay, worse workrules, and no retirement....Now that airline is a place that many want to work....

Funny ha ha, or funny sad? All true, and that "regional" airline has barely changed it's contract in most of those years except to sprinkle lots of stock on the top end of the seniority list.
NEARLY everyone else (with the exception of the cargo carriers) has gone the other way and had to match that regionals stance on retirement, workrules, and lower pay. Most went below due to BK's.

Joe, do you favor ASA's contract being compared to RAH's next cycle. I know you are comfortable right now with your quality of life as an ASA Capt, but do you want RAH flying the 190 for pay less than your 50 seat jets? Where does that leave ASA in competition for flying that jet in the future?
Ironicallly, it's not just about the regionals undercutting the majors, more and more it's about the regionals undercutting the regionals and LCC's.

Funny ha ha, or funny sad? All true, and that "regional" airline has barely changed it's contract in most of those years except to sprinkle lots of stock on the top end of the seniority list.
NEARLY everyone else (with the exception of the cargo carriers) has gone the other way and had to match that regionals stance on retirement, workrules, and lower pay. Most went below due to BK's.

Not "funny" or "sad"....Simply the reality of the marketplace...

Full of LUV said:
Joe, do you favor ASA's contract being compared to RAH's next cycle. I know you are comfortable right now with your quality of life as an ASA Capt, but do you want RAH flying the 190 for pay less than your 50 seat jets? Where does that leave ASA in competition for flying that jet in the future?
Ironicallly, it's not just about the regionals undercutting the majors, more and more it's about the regionals undercutting the regionals and LCC's.

What I "favor" is irrelevant...I have to compete with RAH...and so do you.

Did you work for Mesa?

What???

Not "funny" or "sad"....Simply the reality of the marketplace...

What I "favor" is irrelevant...I have to compete with RAH...and so do you.

Did you work for Mesa?

I did not work for MESA, but irrelevant had I. It's akin to asking someone if they are gay before borrowing their car.....

You have to compete, yes. Should you subsidize their operation? They will be shipping crews all over the country for the next few years and then probably hiring, looking for someone willing to take the FO job at that pay.
Should ASA (well really Delta since they pay all of your costs plus profit) subsidize their operation for the next 10 years until they can get their contract "in line" with industry norms. Or worse yet, like the SWA example, everyone else comes down to their level?
If they want to hire local pilots and fly their routes without jumpseating to work, then touche, professional pilots are overpaid. But if they are using everyone else as a stepping stone to supplant them, then that is an absurdity in this industry.
It's like Home Depot being required to haul all of Lowes inventory to the major cities on their dime, for Lowes to stock and sell as a competitor to HD.
Oh, and BTW, you don't have to compete with RAH, Delta does. You can sit in you comfy ASA capt seat and not worry about ticket sales, profits, or service, because at the end of the day, as long as DAL is in bidness, you have a job, well until the next RFP of course.

How did WN start? All of the "majors" started out small....

I'm pretty sure SW didn't start by a fee for departure scheme for a major airline partner, while providing low-cost (pay) outsourcing.

Right, like that regional airline in Columbus... Skybus. Eh six of one, half dozen of another. A crazy old lady in N'Orleans won the lottery that means every old crazy lady in N'Orleans will be RICH!

The pilots of Republic are not to blame, all regionals are the same, Skywest, RAH, Gojet, Eagle, etc... they ALL fly routes that do not belong to them... they are simply low paid contract workers. Lots of regional pilots will play the " my regional is better than your regional " but in the end the are all the same. No one of them owns the "scumbag" title more than another.... they all stink.

There are a few regionals where people are willing to stay for the balance of their careers. The reason is because they much better than the others for your own situation.

Notice nobody stays at RAH, Colgan or Mesa for their careers.

So yes, many airlines own the scumbag title way more than others.

There are a few regionals where people are willing to stay for the balance of their careers. The reason is because they much better than the others for your own situation.

Notice nobody stays at RAH, Colgan or Mesa for their careers.

So yes, many airlines own the scumbag title way more than others.

There are plenty of lifers at Mesa. Seriously, with 250 hours of flight time, how would you even come by your opinion that "nobody stays" at any of the carriers you mentioned? It certainly isn't from sharing drinks with any of these folks on an overnight. Even at Great Lakes there were/are lifers.

Its time for the "regional" guys and gals that fly the 100 seat rj to take a stand and demand big airplane pay! don't use the excuse well I'm doing this to get on at Delta so I can make the big bucks, mgmt has seen you comming for years, they will offer you $90.00/hr to fly the 777 around the world and you will do it unless you grow "some" now and make a stand!

Latest resources

Back