• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic 145 FO or Jblu?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All 320 captains have already been hired based on current aircraft orders. Bus captain right now will take atleast 4.5 to 5 years and depending on the base significantly longer to hold a line. 190 captain is not 16-18 months but more like minimum of 2 years. A 3 year 190 captain flying 80 hours will make roughly $79,000 to $81,000 flying 80 hours. 80 hours on the 190 can mean 12, 13 or 14 days off max becuase of the unproductive schedules.

SO........if you had the choice......YOU would take CHQ over Jet Blue if you had the choice?! - Just want to make sure - Fins it just came off that way and I want to make sure.

Absolutely not.

All 320 captains have already been hired based on current aircraft orders. Bus captain right now will take atleast 4.5 to 5 years and depending on the base significantly longer to hold a line. 190 captain is not 16-18 months but more like minimum of 2 years. A 3 year 190 captain flying 80 hours will make roughly $79,000 to $81,000 flying 80 hours. 80 hours on the 190 can mean 12, 13 or 14 days off max becuase of the unproductive schedules.

This guy hit the nail on the head. The question to the original poster of this thread is: Are you at CHQ right now and holding an upgrade class? Or are you on the street with an offer at JB and CHQ? If it's the first one, TAKE THE UPGRADE CLASS! PIC Turbine is way more important! If you're on the street right now, take Jetblue. It's a good company to work for, but the pay and health care/retirement suck, but it's still better than unemployment. The upgrade to the E190 will come in about 2+ years. The upgrade to A320 will come when they order more of them, and right now it looks like they are more interested in selling them.... Good luck.

JetBlue has one significant advantage over CHQ or any other regional. All JetBlue flying is done by JetBlue pilots. We don't parcel out the flying to regionals and we aren't subservient to a bigger partner. That means no whipsaw. It's only a matter of time before CHQ (and SKW too for that matter) start to feel the squeeze they helped create. That alone is reason enough to get out of the regional airlines.

The question really is, does the short term gain of staying at CHQ for the upgrade outweigh the mid/long term potential at JetBlue? The overwhelming majority of newhires at JetBlue or any other major accept paycuts to get the job. Why do you think that is? Think beyond next year or even the year after that. Which company has the best long term potential? JetBlue doesn't yet offer a total compensation package that compares with a legacy or SWA. To be blunt, it's sorely lacking. Even at that, the long term potential for QOL and gross earnings is better than CHQ.

There is a case to made for staying at CHQ long enough to get the TPIC. If JetBlue lives long and prospers it won't matter if you don't have the TPIC. OTOH, if you leave CHQ with no TPIC and 2 or 3 years from now JetBlue tanks, you're back to square one. Good luck with that call. That's the kind of decision pro pilots have been dealing with for years. The terminal is littered with folks that made the wrong call.

Good luck.

What!!?? Two year upgrades on the 190 (Currently 16-18 months). Upgrades on the 320 are at 3.5 years. They may go to 5 years. 3rd year E190 CA pay is $75/hr and will go up. I don't think you can be making $75/hr at CHQ by year three. 145 CA pay is $74 year 9. 170 CA pay is $73 year 7. 190 CA pay is $74 year 4. First year pay at CHQ is $23/hr vs. JB $48 or $51 depending on aircraft. You would have to be an idiot to go to CHQ over JB.

I agree with your current 190 upgrade times, notice I said current. BTW, those are 4-6 months longer than my class expected. I have been here 15 months.

3.5 years on the bus? Show me your math on that one. Looking at my number (again been here 15 months) I am looking at 3.5 years MINIMUM from RIGHT NOW. That's five years. And that says nothing about the fence coming down in the fall. I think you are gravely mistaken, but then we are losing 20 this month (or so I hear). At that rate, 240 a year might net me 320 captain in 3 years total. But looking at the pitiful upgrade schedule for the next few months, I would say that ain't gonna happen. Upgrading 8 or 10 here and there (nothing during the summer months, you can quote me on that one) and you got 60-70 upgrades a year (wait till we sell more airbii this year too). I am telling you dude, that math just doesn't work out.

disclaimer: No it ain't all doom and gloom at jb and no, I wasn't promised a quick upgrade, decent salary, inexpensive healthcare, retirement etc etc.

Last edited:
JetBlue has one significant advantage over CHQ or any other regional. All JetBlue flying is done by JetBlue pilots. We don't parcel out the flying to regionals and we aren't subservient to a bigger partner. That means no whipsaw. It's only a matter of time before CHQ (and SKW too for that matter) start to feel the squeeze they helped create. That alone is reason enough to get out of the regional airlines.

The question really is, does the short term gain of staying at CHQ for the upgrade outweigh the mid/long term potential at JetBlue? The overwhelming majority of newhires at JetBlue or any other major accept paycuts to get the job. Why do you think that is? Think beyond next year or even the year after that. Which company has the best long term potential? JetBlue doesn't yet offer a total compensation package that compares with a legacy or SWA. To be blunt, it's sorely lacking. Even at that, the long term potential for QOL and gross earnings is better than CHQ.

There is a case to made for staying at CHQ long enough to get the TPIC. If JetBlue lives long and prospers it won't matter if you don't have the TPIC. OTOH, if you leave CHQ with no TPIC and 2 or 3 years from now JetBlue tanks, you're back to square one. Good luck with that call. That's the kind of decision pro pilots have been dealing with for years. The terminal is littered with folks that made the wrong call.

Good luck.

Good post. Even from a Marine...

Curious

If you are considering going to a regional as an FO I have to ask what is your Total Time and Turbine Time?

I would say the average JB FO new hire has 5000 tt a couple thousand turbine, a type or two, and more than likely at least 1000 jet or heavy tprop pic. I know there may be exceptions to this.

Curious

If you are considering going to a regional as an FO I have to ask what is your Total Time and Turbine Time?

I would say the average JB FO new hire has 5000 tt a couple thousand turbine, a type or two, and more than likely at least 1000 jet or heavy tprop pic. I know there may be exceptions to this.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Check the phase two lists for the last 6 months. If that's the case why are we failing dudes outta training?

5000tt? I guess I am the exception, but then I don't consider myself a "new hire". Hell, I only have 3000 or so (yeah, fighter time) but over 2000 of that is PIC. I would say that's an exception too. Most of the career FOs we are getting have far less. I would surmise.

Good luck.

good post, I'd just change the last few words from "wrong call" to "made a desision based on given info however luck wasn't on their side". In the end its just a matter of luck in this bizz.

Latest resources

Back