Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
It's my opinion that the airline industry will not be able to fairly compensate its pilots under the current mis-management teams. Our Unions can do little but stand by the way side and hope for profitability to return. I think measures need to be taken to begin re-regulating the industry. I think it's the only way to smooth out the ebb and flow industry wide pattern. It's rediculous when someone can fly from Baltimore to Burbank on Southwest for $159!!! This business model is backasswards!!! The majority of people cannot drive across the country that cheaply. Flying is a luxury. If you can't wait 3-4 days to drive across the country (one way) then you'll have to pay for the service of speed.

If you work for a regional, you can kiss your job good bye if regulation returns.

Prices will go through the roof and then only the evil wealthy will be able to afford a ticket. Better be careful what you wish for.

It's my opinion that the airline industry will not be able to fairly compensate its pilots under the current mis-management teams. Our Unions can do little but stand by the way side and hope for profitability to return. I think measures need to be taken to begin re-regulating the industry. I think it's the only way to smooth out the ebb and flow industry wide pattern. It's rediculous when someone can fly from Baltimore to Burbank on Southwest for $159!!! This business model is backasswards!!! The majority of people cannot drive across the country that cheaply. Flying is a luxury. If you can't wait 3-4 days to drive across the country (one way) then you'll have to pay for the service of speed.

Hey, for once we agree!

And yet WN makes money and her pilots are compensated very well. The WN business model is the most studied in business schools across the country, in any industry. Why is this "rediculous?" It is simple supply and demand. If this job sucked, the pay would be better.

This is a pipe dream. Why would the public care about pilot compensation (or anyone's compensation for that matter -- other than the egregious salaries paid to CEO's?) Deregulation has benefited everyone but airline labor. Airfares have never been lower.

Not to mention deregulation has allowed the airline industry (and the number of airlines, and the number of pilot jobs) to grow. If the industry had never been deregulated half of us would never have seen the insid of a cockpit.

It's rediculous when someone can fly from Baltimore to Burbank on Southwest for $159!!! This business model is backasswards!!! The majority of people cannot drive across the country that cheaply.

Drive?? Hell, you can't hitch hike for less than that.

And yet WN makes money and her pilots are compensated very well. The WN business model is the most studied in business schools across the country, in any industry. Why is this "rediculous?" It is simple supply and demand. If this job sucked, the pay would be better.
Wrong, SWA are getting a screw job on their pay rates. Their productivity is at least 3-5 times more as compared to a legacy pilot. They should be making way more than they are right now. However, why do you think management is their friend...............they don't want the pilot rocking the boat.

Yes!!! and while we re regulate the airline industry, we can switch over to communisim too. Then we can all have health care, and close the gap between the rich and the poor..

I wish I could wake up tomorrow and think things were that simple.

Yes!!! and while we re regulate the airline industry, we can switch over to communisim too. Then we can all have health care, and close the gap between the rich and the poor..

I wish I could wake up tomorrow and think things were that simple.

Ah yes, that old saw: If it's not bloodlusty-take-no-prisoners-f#ck-everyone-but-me-completely-lawless-unfettered-might-makes-right-capitalism, it must be communism. Oh my god! Red dawn! What are we gonna do? Mr. Bush help us!!!!

Latest resources

Back