Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buckdanny

Hi,

I have a questions for you people who already made it to the regionals.

A couple of days ago I ran into my former flight instructor who's swedish and now flies for a regionals. He told me that most airlines are now in debates to hire ONLY US citizens. It completely surprised me because of the legal aspects that involve such a discriminatory rule, unless of course the airline has governemt contracts requiring citizenship among its workforce.

My question is, did anybody hear such a thing? It worries me, because I came to the US 6 years for college, flying is a passion at heart and I am just about to get my permanent residency which is the first door for me to open in order to make it. Thanks for any input on that subject matter!

Alex :confused:

Are you trying to become a US citizen? Why do you think it's discriminatory for a US company to hire a only US citizens? Buddy, you are lucky to even be in the USA right now. You're complaining that as a foreigner, because you spent 6 years here on a student visa you deserve a job. That is re-god-**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**-diculous, especially with 7000 AMERICAN pilots out of work. Do me, and every other hard working American a big favor… Either join the team, or take what you learned here and go back and make Sweden a better place.

There is a new rule that requires the feds to do background checks on all non-US Citizens that go for advanced training such as type ratings. A 45 day waiting period is required so they can complete their check

Not many employers can afford to hire someone and let them sit at home for 45 days before they start class at Flight Safety. This may be part of the reason why many regionals and corporate flight departments are shying away from non-citizens.

I dont see how this is discriminatory but either way I have to agree with the previous poster's argument that there are far too many american pilots out of work to be giving jobs away to overseas pilots

Alex

Ignore this A$$hole MYFPilot.

I assure you that Americans with his attitude are definitely in the minority. It's guys like him that make the rest of the world think that Americans are narrow minded people who know nothing about the rest of the world.

Regional airlines will not discriminate against you as long as you have the right to live and work in the US. Once your permanent residency comes through you'll have as much of a chance as any of us.

Dude, I'm not trying to start world war three here... I want to join the team more than anything else, and if I some day have the chance to become a citizen you can believe that I will be as much patriotic as everybody else in this nation. And yes, I do hope we get all those idiots from 09/11 just like all other 7000 pilots do.

To answer your question, I don't want to have a job or citizenship served to me on a tray because I spent 6 years in the country. I want to DESERVE what I'm asking for, it's what we all call paying our dues, isn't it? What I'm asking for is equality between all of us who are legaly here and seeking the same goals. We're all bound by a passion of flying, which will take us all over the world. Why making nationality a difference?

Ps: I'm not swedish

Flydog and DC10,

Thanks for your replies, they are encouraging. I understand more now what the problem is with the required background checks, and I agree that an airline does not necessarily want to wait the 45 days...

About the 7000 unemployed pilots and the whole situation in general, it os only temporary, everybody knows it. It's just a slow time that should last a year or 2, according to most experts.. I have faith that it will pick up soon for all of us, good luck to everyone!

Alex

DC-10 must be a foriegner.

Natural Americans should have priority. We are not in a shortage.

Citizen vs. resident

Sometime I wince when I read posts on this board,

Natural Americans should have priority

What the he11 is a "natural" american? Does this have something to do with being a vegan?

Do me, and every other hard working American a big favor… Either join the team, or take what you learned here and go back and make Sweden a better place.

Uh, that is what he is trying to do, he is establishing his residency here. Applicants have always had to be U.S. residents, not citizens. It would be completely illegal to offer employment opportunities (or deny those opportunities) based soley on citizenship

What is wrong with someone moving here from a different country and jumping through all of the hoops in an attempt to gain permanent residency here? Isn't there a tall women made out of steel and copper on the east coast welcoming this type of behavior?

What is wrong with someone moving here from a different country and jumping through all of the hoops in an attempt to gain permanent residency here? Isn't there a tall women made out of steel and copper on the east coast welcoming this type of behavior?

Absolutely nothing, I agree with the above 100%
IMHO, if you are going to live here you should make an attempt to go beyond just permanent residency or a green card and become a citizen of the United States of America. Until that time I don't think it's discriminatory for an airline to refuse to hire you. I'm sure it's the same way in other countries as well. If I went to school in England or France for 6 years then tried to get a job with British Airways or Air France do you think they would hire me?

MYFpilot,

Unfortunately it's not as easy as you would think to get naturalized in the US, it take a tremendous amount of time because it requires to be a permanent resident for 5 years. That's why the law says a permanent resident has the same rights as a US citizen when it comes to employment. As a matter of fact, becoming a permant resident is way much harder than getting citizenship a few years later. When a foreigner comes in this country, follows the law, marries an american woman for love and not interest, then gets to be a resident, why wouldn't he be able to work in his field until being a citenzen? In Europe it is actually a lot easier to establish residency than here, and yes, you would probably get a job with the local airlines if you go work your way up just like the locals... I've seen it happening.

I'm sorry if my first post started a misunderstanding, I did try to imply that I wanted my residency for granted. I was simply asking a question about what was going on. Now if avoiding a 45 days background check is the reason airlines will set up such a rule, I think it is sick: even citizens will do crazy stuff at the controls, we saw that in Florida not too long ago. IMHO, EVERYONE getting a job with an airline should have a background check, period. I am pretty sure that some terrorists are still in the country, and are also citizen....

Alex

Latest resources

Back