Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Foreigners?

Grow up Myfpilot,
It sounds that you are little frusterated.
(maybe flown to many turns around a point)
Just remember that there are a lot of US pilots flying for foreign
airlines as well, Like: Singapore,Korean,
Air Japan,BA,KLM,Emirates,Cathy,CargoLux etc.etc.ect........
My American wife and kids will also enjoy your statements.
And the fact that there are a lot of pilots on the street is a global
thing,look at those poor guy's at SwissAir and Sabena.
And if you take a good look around you you will see that things are already looking up.
As for Alex, keep building your time and good luck.And those background checks are coming back pritty quick ,mine did.

Mark (Dutch and permanent resident tax paying alien)

Anybody that things foreigners have a tough time getting airline jobs in the US should try getting on with a European carrier. Converting foreign to US airmen licenses is relatively easy but the other way around is a lengthy and expensive process.

For a US pilot to obtain an ICAO ATP-L the process is pretty much doing all your ratings over again along with a dozen writtens regardless of wether you have 1500 or 20,000 hrs. Its a bunch of BS but thats how they keep the foreigners (us) out and ensure job security for their citizens.

This is maybe not the right medium to continue this,but.....
It is a different mentality in Europe vs here in the US.
In Europe they think you need a lot off theoretical knowledge and a little practical knowledge,so you'll find a FO on a 737 with 350hrs total time. Compaired to here in the US you need at least a min. of 1500hrs., if not more.
And you got to admit this , that the FAA writen tests are a joke,
my senile grandma could pass those by just studying the questions.
So it isn't done to keep the Americans out it is the same north of the border. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with it
just a differance of mentality.(You could argue it both ways)
And on an other note. After WW2 flocks of American pilots where flying for the European carriers and well into the1970's that was quite normal.
Marc (JAR CPL/FAA ATP)

Buckdanny, don't worry about regionals not looking at you once you do get the permanent resident card. Most of the regionals only care about whether you can legally work in the US and care more about you as a person and a crewmember.

Regarding your last statement about all airline pilots should go though background checks, well all airline pilots, whether they are citizens or not, get background checks. I've been through 3 in the last year and most of the time background checks are done before you even arrive for ground school.

There maybe a more indepth check if you are not a citizen in the future. But don't sweat it to much.

Hey myfpilot;

Unless you are an Native American Indian, Than you too are a foreigner!
So, stick your condescending ahole attitude in your back pocket!
It's guys like you that make cockpits such colorful places at times.

to mr myf pilot i cant believe what i read. ok you want every country to hire thier naturally born only, then your gonna have a lot more more than 7000 pilots out of work, just in africa asia how many pilots do you think are out there. and forget central and south america were there are us pilots with dual citizenships.
first of all you sould get your trailer park mentality out of your white trash mind. have you everv heard of globalization, star alliance, what the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** is that, of course all you do is eat hot dogs and sloppy joes and what college footbal, que with the program buddy

to mr guam where is your mama and papa from or your grandparents. if you want only natural born citizens it will be recipricle with other countris and then will be srewed , how stupid can you get just do the numbers.

No such thing as a "Native American Indian". According to conventional wisdom if you go back far enough everybody walked over from Africa.

It's amazing that people with these types of mentalities are flying sophisticated aircraft. For those of you who come to this country to learn how to fly, learn the language, and put up with the attitudes of some (not all) of us, I hope you make it.

-I'll be your wingman:)

I have been flying professionally in the states for the last 6 years and have to say that I have never heard anything so immature .

So for all the "foreign Pilots" starting out I have to say that people with an attitude like our pal here are a huge minority and all the people that I have ever flown or worked with have been the nicest and most professional bunch.

So just keep building the flight time and we shall see you around some time.

Latest resources

Back