Regionals flying even bigger planes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General, you're not very good at BSing.

Just because the CRJ-200 are a POS and are going away slowly doesn't mean that's an indication of will be with scope and the other RJs that fly or the prospects for 100 seat jets at the regionals. Spin it any way you want but the legacies will never do 100% of their own flying or come close to that. You can't undo what is. You seen to think that's it's all about the pilots. To us it is but management will do what's good for themselves and the shareholders. I NEVER said legacies will do 100% of the flying. But, hopefully the legacies will regain some of what they lost over the years, and thankfully we are seeing that now. How many CR9s are going to Air Mekong btw? That never would have happened a couple years ago. But, if you hope to fly 100 seaters for DCI, I think your dreams will be shot down.

I have seen SLC evolve over the years and you most certainly haven't. Stop the BS with the Airbuses. They're their in SLC now to replace the Maddogs which went to MSP and they won't be picking up any additional flying. Since you mention PSC and Montana flying, when was the last time you looked at what's flying on the PSC and Montana routes you mentioned? Delta flys zero flights to PSC and zero flights to all places in Montana from SLC and it's zero flights to any of those places anytime soon. Could MD90s do transcons? No, they couldn't do it Westbound in the Winter. So A320s and A319s were brought in to do it all the way to SLC from the East Coast. That was the reason, combined with the MD90s being able to hit both Coasts from MSP. But, the A319s also have the correct load amount for certain Montana and Inter Mountain West towns--like JAC which they are doing now. Expect to see more in the near future, or certainly by next year. Have you seen any MD90s at BZN BTW? They have started 2 daily from MSP--which is a good thing.

When was the last time you taxied around SLC? Over at the "B" gates they're almost done with 4 new jetways. Gates B2 to B12 have always been for all the RJs though now just 900s part in those spots. Do you know what those jetways are for? They are for RJs and you don't have to be a genius to know based on what you're looking at, that the spots and jetways are too small for anything other then RJs. Yes, but notice how there are less and less RJs in C and D. You can have B, and all of the outer gates as well. A320s are doing more PHX, more SFO, and other places only RJs flew to just 6 months ago. Your CRJ2s have been kicked out to MSP, and who knows how long they will stay there. Your airline has had to change it's whole process of dealing with new airline contracts, like your MKE deal with Airtran. That is all on YOU GUYS--having to foot the bill for everything (gas, etc), hoping to turn any profit for yourselves. Might not happen, and your management normally doesn't act that way unless they are desperate. Can your refute that? Can you say Air Mekong? Laughable.

Comair and ASA have come and gone in SLC and Mesaba's presence there is suppose to be temporary. They've been there a year now operating just a few flights and no base...yet. I guess we will see. Supposedly they're there because Skywest couldn't cover all the flying. Here's something I know you don't know General, Skywest is doing at this time more flying for Delta then it has ever done in it's history. Do want to explain that? Sure there's going to be a reduction come winter but that's normal. Do you want to know just how pissed pilots in SLC are because we can't get time off? Sure, you know EXACTLY what will happen.....riiiiiight. DL will continue to keep all of the DCI regionals on the edge, so as not to allow any one carrier enough power to hurt the mainline in a strike. (remember the $1 billion fiasco with Comair? Maybe you don't....) It is great you are flying more, but also for Airtran, United, and DL. Same at mainline chief, get used to it.

Why do you think the UAL/CAL merger was structured to be with the United name and CAL just gets the their logo on the tail? Smisek went to the pilots atleast twice in the days and weeks before the announced merger to ask them for relief on scope and other things. (CAL pilots on here will vouch for that) Everytime the pilots said no. I bet if he got what he wanted the new merged company would be called Continental with the CAL logo on the tail. The failed talks now means nothing. Everyone is just jockeying for position. In the end scope will, at the very least, stay as per UAL's. This is something you guys are watching closely I bet. The UAL guys had to give Scope relief in BK, but now the stronger CAL guys and UAL guys have leverage over management. They can put a stop to the "synergies" that can add $400-500 million a year in added revenue if they do not get a joint contract, and Wall St is watching that. Do synergies always mean layoffs? Has DL laid off anyone? No, DL is starting to hire pilots again. The CAL guys DO NOT want 70 seaters (how many do you have flying for UAL?) and they will fight to make sure it doesn't happen again. I bet they will ask that at the end of your current contract, all jets over 50 seats go away, and also stop the Dash-8-400 revolution from continuing. I am sure the UAL guys would want the same, since your CR7s took over for the parked 737-300s and 735s at UAL. This will cause a huge glut of YOUR larger RJs if it comes true, and I don't think either pilot group wants to budge. Will Smisek and Tilton? They will if they want their huge bonuses and Wall St to be happy. I would start to worry big time if I were you. No spin here, just reality. You just never know. and you are just GUESSING that scope will stay the same. Ask any CAL or UAL guy on this board if that is what they want......

Enjoy the above.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I'm not in the regional industry anymore genius, so do with you want with it.You need to brush up a little more on the Comair strike.All ALPA carriers had to pay $$$$ for them to be on strike. I had to pay $300 out of my first year salary as a 19 seat t-prop F/O while they were on strike for 83 days.If they cost you so much money, why haven't they been sold? You sound like management, you read in-between the lines too much and interpret what you think you read. I never mentioned anything about pay rates having anything to do with DL problems or BK.The initial pay rate on the 777 that I heard was $400/hr for the senior skippers!!! T/F ?.You seem to dish it out but you can't take it.A simple statement sure gets you fired up!!!Geez....(BTW, the last I heard, DL was cutting capacity across the board, regional and mainline..So what is it this week?)

Congrats on moving up to Part 135 cargo. The Comair strike COST DL $1 billion you genius. Could that have lead to financial harm that lead to eventual BK after 9-11? No, you said our pay rates were the ONLY thing that added to that. And, 777 Capts NEVER got $400 an hour. Where did you hear that? The initial rate was high, and it got in the low $300 range, which is WHERE IT SHOULD BE. And, Delta only had 8 777s at the time, whereas UAL had 50. How many guys where paid that amount at the time? Not many. And where did you "hear" that DL was cutting capacity across the board? Can you please post or paste an article stating that? There is always a slowdown after the busy Summer schedule, but year over year DL has increased the flying---and next year the domestic flying alone will be increased 10%---which is huge. (hence hiring.....) Get your facts straight please.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Congrats on moving up to Part 135 cargo. The Comair strike COST DL $1 billion you genius. Could that have lead to financial harm that lead to eventual BK after 9-11? No, you said our pay rates were the ONLY thing that added to that. And, 777 Capts NEVER got $400 an hour. Where did you hear that? The initial rate was high, and it got in the low $300 range, which is WHERE IT SHOULD BE. And, Delta only had 8 777s at the time, whereas UAL had 50. How many guys where paid that amount at the time? Not many. And where did you "hear" that DL was cutting capacity across the board? Can you please post or paste an article stating that? There is always a slowdown after the busy Summer schedule, but year over year DL has increased the flying---and next year the domestic flying alone will be increased 10%---which is huge. (hence hiring.....) Get your facts straight please.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yes I got it the first time thanks..It cost DL and ONLY DL $1billliiioooon.YADA YADA.I was stating other ALPA carriers also had to pay out of pocket for them to be on strike!!!!..And to clarify the $400/hr..I should have said I HEARD (Remember this IS aviation the last time I checked) it was the INITIAL OFFER!!!...I say again INITIAL OFFER!!! by the union to management...T/F?...Low $300 range for a light twin,not bad. :D

Okay, this is a serious question, to all Delta pilots (although we already know your opinion, General):

I know scope is very important to all pilots these days, but would you CONSIDER relaxing scope from 76 to 99 seats (perhaps for a limited # of airframes) in exchange for a 35% pay raise? That is the question. I have heard a rumor that DALPA is currently negotiating this very thing. I don't necessarily endorse it, but I can see it happening.

Okay, this is a serious question, to all Delta pilots (although we already know your opinion, General):

I know scope is very important to all pilots these days, but would you CONSIDER relaxing scope from 76 to 99 seats (perhaps for a limited # of airframes) in exchange for a 35% pay raise? That is the question. I have heard a rumor that DALPA is currently negotiating this very thing. I don't necessarily endorse it, but I can see it happening.

NO!!!!

and it is not being negotiated at this time.

Not for a 100% pay raise.

NO, I wouldn't even consider it. Is that clear enough?

I'm out of regional flying. I'm out of 121 flying.

I love flying on ERJ-190's. The FA's are young, the pilots aren't old and the 2 by 2 seating is WAY better than a 737, 757, 767, A319, A320, A321 any day.

Bye bye major airlines. International should still be there for ya until the UAV's take over. Good luck at your next contract negotiation...should go well.

gp

As a SkyWest guy, I am totally with the General on this one. Things may be good for a few more years but when the Delta fee-for-departure contract is up...things are going to get ugly. There is no way that our flying in SLC can get any better (its peaked) or even stay the same. At the very least we will take on much more risk to continue flying for Delta and I would expect to see other commuters get a share of the SLC market.

The good news? Delta will be hiring a lot of pilots in the next ten years.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back