• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regionals flying even bigger planes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am from Montana and unless you are talking about very selected service. Most places have gone from 5-6 Rjs a day down to one or two but I haven't seen any mainline picking up.

Boy...where to begin....

Say what? WRONG. Most mainline pilots have had it with RJs. They have seen them takeover mainline routes and now they are watching the CRJ-50s go away. Most of the people who didn't care were the very senior ones that all have left thanks to lump sum retirement or the fear of losing their retirements. The guys that are left were narrowbody Captains, who again watched the routes dwindle. Now that they are Widebody Captains, they have to commute home on RJs, and hate them. (cause' a commute on an MD/73/75/319 is fun!) I seriously doubt any of the current senior guys, or any of the rest of the mainline pilots, want to see an expansion (they did it before, they'll do it again) of 100 seaters going to the regionals. If you think so, you are dilusional. (how's that G.E.D. working out for you?) DL had almost 2000 senior guys leave prior to BK. They were the lifer regional pilots "last hope." Sorry to dissapoint you, they are gone now.

And you are SKW, right? Have you seen SLC evolve over the years? Remember when DL flew 737-300s to Montana (half full) (my Sis lives up there, used to fly on them all the time) (General Lee and his sister...what a shock-er) and Pasco etc? That was all replaced by RJs, which are now on the way out. A320s and A319s are starting to fill in on some of those routes, and DL is now mixing up the regionals that fly at hubs. That must make you feel "really comfortable..."

Also, maybe you haven't read about the stoppage in talks between CAL/UAL ALPA and management for a merger transition agreement? Sounds to me like maybe the ALPA (yep, ALPO will take care of us all again) pilots didn't like something management stated, and stopped talking. Could be due to SCOPE? (we can all dream) Maybe? Sounds like your upcoming downgrade is closer than you think.....Sounds like your upcoming date with your sister may include a ride in an RJ.

Bye Bye---General Lee

.....and you're cleared to land on Taxiway M.

Say what? WRONG. Most mainline pilots have had it with RJs. They have seen them takeover mainline routes and now they are watching the CRJ-50s go away. Most of the people who didn't care were the very senior ones that all have left thanks to lump sum retirement or the fear of losing their retirements. The guys that are left were narrowbody Captains, who again watched the routes dwindle. Now that they are Widebody Captains, they have to commute home on RJs, and hate them. I seriously doubt any of the current senior guys, or any of the rest of the mainline pilots, want to see an expansion of 100 seaters going to the regionals. If you think so, you are dilusional. DL had almost 2000 senior guys leave prior to BK. They were the lifer regional pilots "last hope." Sorry to dissapoint you, they are gone now.

And you are SKW, right? Have you seen SLC evolve over the years? Remember when DL flew 737-300s to Montana (my Sis lives up there, used to fly on them all the time) and Pasco etc? That was all replaced by RJs, which are now on the way out. A320s and A319s are starting to fill in on some of those routes, and DL is now mixing up the regionals that fly at hubs. That must make you feel "really comfortable..."

Also, maybe you haven't read about the stoppage in talks between CAL/UAL ALPA and management for a merger transition agreement? Sounds to me like maybe the ALPA pilots didn't like something management stated, and stopped talking. Could be due to SCOPE? Maybe? Sounds like your upcoming downgrade is closer than you think.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Stop complaining about the regionals flying RJs when it was you and your other mainline counterparts that started this problem because you were "too good" to fly them. If I remember correctly, your greed almost cost you DL guys the chance to fly the 777 because management told you to pound sand on the pay rates you guys initially wanted.Sounds like you guys need to evaluate things more carefully next time and not create a problem you can't fix.Good luck

Boy...where to begin....

.....and you're cleared to land on Taxiway M.

Wow, you really are a genius. I guess Regional pilots NEVER make mistakes, right? Sure, you don't. Is a commute in an A319 cockpit more comfortable than an RJ? You bet junior. How about in the back? Heck yeah. Most DL 757s in the back have Live TV (Dish Network), and that makes any commute better than sitting next to a huge person in an RJ. You know I am right, again! Time for you to see how high an RJ can fly.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I am from Montana and unless you are talking about very selected service. Most places have gone from 5-6 Rjs a day down to one or two but I haven't seen any mainline picking up.

Bozeman now has 2 MD90s a day from MSP, and BIL got an additional A319 I believe. There are still E175s and some CR9s on some routes, but not only those planes now. There are also nonstops to ATL from BZN and FCA on mainline planes.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Stop complaining about the regionals flying RJs when it was you and your other mainline counterparts that started this problem because you were "too good" to fly them. If I remember correctly, your greed almost cost you DL guys the chance to fly the 777 because management told you to pound sand on the pay rates you guys initially wanted.Sounds like you guys need to evaluate things more carefully next time and not create a problem you can't fix.Good luck

Thanks Glen Tilton. You are playing right into Management's hand, unless you are one yourself. Do you really believe pay rates had anything to do with DL's BK or problems? Weren't there some other problems that you could think of that MAY have had something to do with it all? You need to brush up on your DL history. How about a $1 billion Comair Strike? Sure, that helped. But according to YOU, We did that. And, the way you are talking, bringing pay rates DOWN should help with impending downturns, right? Your Regional instustry is next, so time to halve your salaries down there, according to you. Maybe you think that will help. You sound like a genius. (BTW, pay rates are known fixed costs for management---always have been)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Say what? WRONG. Most mainline pilots have had it with RJs. They have seen them takeover mainline routes and now they are watching the CRJ-50s go away. Most of the people who didn't care were the very senior ones that all have left thanks to lump sum retirement or the fear of losing their retirements. The guys that are left were narrowbody Captains, who again watched the routes dwindle. Now that they are Widebody Captains, they have to commute home on RJs, and hate them. I seriously doubt any of the current senior guys, or any of the rest of the mainline pilots, want to see an expansion of 100 seaters going to the regionals. If you think so, you are dilusional. DL had almost 2000 senior guys leave prior to BK. They were the lifer regional pilots "last hope." Sorry to dissapoint you, they are gone now.

And you are SKW, right? Have you seen SLC evolve over the years? Remember when DL flew 737-300s to Montana (my Sis lives up there, used to fly on them all the time) and Pasco etc? That was all replaced by RJs, which are now on the way out. A320s and A319s are starting to fill in on some of those routes, and DL is now mixing up the regionals that fly at hubs. That must make you feel "really comfortable..."

Also, maybe you haven't read about the stoppage in talks between CAL/UAL ALPA and management for a merger transition agreement? Sounds to me like maybe the ALPA pilots didn't like something management stated, and stopped talking. Could be due to SCOPE? Maybe? Sounds like your upcoming downgrade is closer than you think.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

General, you're not very good at BSing.

Just because the CRJ-200 are a POS and are going away slowly doesn't mean that's an indication of will be with scope and the other RJs that fly or the prospects for 100 seat jets at the regionals. Spin it any way you want but the legacies will never do 100% of their own flying or come close to that. You can't undo what is. You seen to think that's it's all about the pilots. To us it is but management will do what's good for themselves and the shareholders.

I have seen SLC evolve over the years and you most certainly haven't. Stop the BS with the Airbuses. They're their in SLC now to replace the Maddogs which went to MSP and they won't be picking up any additional flying. Since you mention PSC and Montana flying, when was the last time you looked at what's flying on the PSC and Montana routes you mentioned? Delta flys zero flights to PSC and zero flights to all places in Montana from SLC and it's zero flights to any of those places anytime soon.

When was the last time you taxied around SLC? Over at the "B" gates they're almost done with 4 new jetways. Gates B2 to B12 have always been for all the RJs though now just 900s part in those spots. Do you know what those jetways are for? They are for RJs and you don't have to be a genius to know based on what you're looking at, that the spots and jetways are too small for anything other then RJs.

Comair and ASA have come and gone in SLC and Mesaba's presence there is suppose to be temporary. They've been there a year now operating just a few flights and no base...yet. I guess we will see. Supposedly they're there because Skywest couldn't cover all the flying. Here's something I know you don't know General, Skywest is doing at this time more flying for Delta then it has ever done in it's history. Do want to explain that? Sure there's going to be a reduction come winter but that's normal. Do you want to know just how pissed pilots in SLC are because we can't get time off?

Why do you think the UAL/CAL merger was structured to be with the United name and CAL just gets the their logo on the tail? Smisek went to the pilots atleast twice in the days and weeks before the announced merger to ask them for relief on scope and other things. (CAL pilots on here will vouch for that) Everytime the pilots said no. I bet if he got what he wanted the new merged company would be called Continental with the CAL logo on the tail. The failed talks now means nothing. Everyone is just jockeying for position. In the end scope will, at the very least, stay as per UAL's.

Thanks Glen Tilton. You are playing right into Management's hand, unless you are one yourself. Do you really believe pay rates had anything to do with DL's BK or problems? Weren't there some other problems that you could think of that MAY have had something to do with it all? You need to brush up on your DL history. How about a $1 billion Comair Strike? Sure, that helped. But according to YOU, We did that. And, the way you are talking, bringing pay rates DOWN should help with impending downturns, right? Your Regional instustry is next, so time to halve your salaries down there, according to you. Maybe you think that will help. You sound like a genius. (BTW, pay rates are known fixed costs for management---always have been)

Bye Bye---General Lee

I'm not in the regional industry anymore genius, so do with you want with it.You need to brush up a little more on the Comair strike.All ALPA carriers had to pay $$$$ for them to be on strike. I had to pay $300 out of my first year salary as a 19 seat t-prop F/O while they were on strike for 83 days.If they cost you so much money, why haven't they been sold? You sound like management, you read in-between the lines too much and interpret what you think you read. I never mentioned anything about pay rates having anything to do with DL problems or BK.The initial pay rate on the 777 that I heard was $400/hr for the senior skippers!!! T/F ?.You seem to dish it out but you can't take it.A simple statement sure gets you fired up!!!Geez....(BTW, the last I heard, DL was cutting capacity across the board, regional and mainline..So what is it this week?)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back