Regionals can't find pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fam62c said:
My guess is that the airlines will just accept new pilots with lower and lower experience levels rather than trying to make the industry attractive to people through pay, benefits and better schedules.

We all know that only works to a point. And once the industry gets to that point, things should finally start to turn around for the better.

You know, the dream of this being a good way to make a living is not dead. This is the regional level, it has, is and will always be rough. Now previous posts are right that this career aint what it used to be. But it will get better. This industry will get better. Sure you wont make 300k a year someday (at least not from flying) but making 150k a year isnt bad money. I tend to think optimisticly though so I'm probably going to be flamed like crazy for this post. Fire away!

mwmav8r01 said:
Pilot shortage is starting... Pay will have to go up.

Not picking a fight...serious observation: Yes, one way the "market" could correct itself is by lowering attrition through improved pay and bennies for pilots. The other possibility, though, is lower standards (mentioned previously) AND/OR more aggressive, slick, polished recruiting into the bottom ranks of the industry.

There is no shortage of folks out there that could be sold "the dream." Sometimes I think the powers that be would rather increase the pool of wannabes than improve the standard of living of their employees.

But then again, I'm not paid to think.

cpierse said:
I
Nonetheless, I heard that PCL was unable to fill classes and had decided to actually pay newhires in training. Anyone verify that? I'd love to say it's the first small step in things turning around, but I'm too cynical and pessimistic to believe it...

PCL is infact now paying in training and I have heard that we are now paying for hotels while in training.

Adam

The industry needs to kick the rudder and get out of the spin its in. So to speak.

Hopefully it happens and people stop getting reamed but crappy companies.

Latest resources

Back