Regionals can't find pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

73belair

Seems like there are a few out there right now (ASA among others) that even with 600 TT mins we can't find people to work.
Why?

I hope you're right, but I doubt it. Seems like there's a continuous supply of "starving CFIs" out there who would kill for a job making 18k/yr.

Nonetheless, I heard that PCL was unable to fill classes and had decided to actually pay newhires in training. Anyone verify that? I'd love to say it's the first small step in things turning around, but I'm too cynical and pessimistic to believe it...

A quote...

[font=Arial,Bold]
Q: Are we short-staffed?
[/font]
A: Staffing is one challenge we experience associated with growth. This year alone we are taking delivery of more than 20 aircraft and Delta continues to restructure its regional feed system in order to maximize revenue. We currently are hiring pilots and also increasing our number of flight training instructors. Our rate of growth, the additional demands of CAT II training and the introduction of flying into JAC definitely are causing our staffing to be strained. We actively are working to get our staffing to the appropriate

Air Wis have also had problems filling classes even after dropping the mins to below 1000TT. But then again uncertainty of bases, growth etc may have played a factor in this also.

Are people getting smarter?

Maybe people are finally starting to do some research and figure out what they are getting themselves into. Airline flying is not the high-paying profession that it once was. Bankruptcies, retirement loss, furloughs, pay cuts, cutthroat competition etc. have changed the profession for good. Career progression is slower and flying for "the majors" is not the dream job that it once was. Don't get me wrong, it's a great career for people who really love flying and who don't want to do anything else; but for people who are just picking it from a list of majors at a school it could be a huge disappointment. I know that I made the correct choice for me but I've run into a lot of newer pilots who are very unhappy with their career choice because it's not what they thought it would be.....buyer beware. Some of these people are leaving aviation to be able to make a living. If I were looking at the career today as a young person instead of 15 years ago when I started I don't know if I would make the same choice again. The best thing that could happen to the industry from a pilot viewpoint, in my opinion, would be an honest-to-god pilot shortage at the regional level that would make pilots more valuable to employers. I don't know if we are seeing the beginnings of this or not. My guess is that the airlines will just accept new pilots with lower and lower experience levels rather than trying to make the industry attractive to people through pay, benefits and better schedules. The airlines and training schools will market the career in an overly optimistic manner and find enough young people to believe in "the dream."

Airline flying is wierd; if any other profession required the equivalent educational and training investment and offered similiar low wages nobody would go into it. Can you imagine becoming an engineer or accountant to make 20K a year and be gone from home 12-18 nights a month? Nobody would do it. I guess that people have a romantic vision of airline flying that includes glamour, status and high pay. Hopefully people are starting to figure out that the career has lost a great deal of it's lustre.

suck it up!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent post. I believe you are right on. But I wonder how much information about this career really is being filtered down to the starving CFIs or college students. Time will tell.

fam62c said:
Maybe people are finally starting to do some research and figure out what they are getting themselves into. Airline flying is not the high-paying profession that it once was. Bankruptcies, retirement loss, furloughs, pay cuts, cutthroat competition etc. have changed the profession for good. Career progression is slower and flying for "the majors" is not the dream job that it once was. Don't get me wrong, it's a great career for people who really love flying and who don't want to do anything else; but for people who are just picking it from a list of majors at a school it could be a huge disappointment. I know that I made the correct choice for me but I've run into a lot of newer pilots who are very unhappy with their career choice because it's not what they thought it would be.....buyer beware. Some of these people are leaving aviation to be able to make a living. If I were looking at the career today as a young person instead of 15 years ago when I started I don't know if I would make the same choice again. The best thing that could happen to the industry from a pilot viewpoint, in my opinion, would be an honest-to-god pilot shortage at the regional level that would make pilots more valuable to employers. I don't know if we are seeing the beginnings of this or not. My guess is that the airlines will just accept new pilots with lower and lower experience levels rather than trying to make the industry attractive to people through pay, benefits and better schedules. The airlines and training schools will market the career in an overly optimistic manner and find enough young people to believe in "the dream."

Airline flying is wierd; if any other profession required the equivalent educational and training investment and offered similiar low wages nobody would go into it. Can you imagine becoming an engineer or accountant to make 20K a year and be gone from home 12-18 nights a month? Nobody would do it. I guess that people have a romantic vision of airline flying that includes glamour, status and high pay. Hopefully people are starting to figure out that the career has lost a great deal of it's lustre.

...I meet the minimus at every one of those carriers, have sent in resumes and yet no one calls...
I haven't been arround long enough to be 'black listed,' nor have I done anything that would earn me a spot.
My list of no calls for the past few weeks includes:
ASA
Comair
PSA
Piedmont
Express Jet
Air Wisconsin

...Only heard from two others, and will have intervews shortly. As much as they all complain about the lack of crews, I'm supprised there have been as few phone calls as there have been...

Latest resources

Back