• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional Upgrade Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go easy on the Aint's. Man we need Bum Phillips again.

Jobear
Loathe to admit, YES I are a Aint's FAN!!

runfast said:
awac......a very, very, very long time..

Unless of course you have been here for 2 years or less in which case it may become a very much more reasonable amount of time given our current attrition. However for newhires I would estimate somewhere between 4-6 years. But the pay and QOL you will enjoy in that time is superior to almost all other regionals.

If you had the 2500 hrs you could have been a captain at CHQ/SA/REP on the E170 out of FO IOE. One of the recent slots went unfilled because no one who was qualified bid it.

My suspicion is that will change once the dust settles a little from the MA/SA dynamic. There is also the risk of bidding for a SA 170 position and watching that position stagnate in your base while the REP 170 gets huge or some combination thereof that has left some E145 CA a little wary and more than willing to hang back and watch for a few months.

Before that, I think the junior captain on the E170 was 1 yr 4 months.

W8N

W8N4UAL said:
If you had the 2500 hrs you could have been a captain at CHQ/SA/REP on the E170 out of FO IOE. One of the recent slots went unfilled because no one who was qualified bid it.

My suspicion is that will change once the dust settles a little from the MA/SA dynamic. There is also the risk of bidding for a SA 170 position and watching that position stagnate in your base while the REP 170 gets huge or some combination thereof that has left some E145 CA a little wary and more than willing to hang back and watch for a few months.

Before that, I think the junior captain on the E170 was 1 yr 4 months.

W8N

I don't think that's completely true. Don't you have to be employed for at least 6 months at CHQ/REP/SA prior to upgrading even with the 2500 hours? I know a captain spot in CMH did go unfilled, however, at Republic.

Last edited:
Regional

Upgrade

Time
When you ask about regional upgrade time. Only one thing is for certain. You'll be stuck in a rut for a while.

CHQ says

A friend of mine is in training at CHQ for the 145, and they are telling the new hires 18 - 24 months upgrade time. Who knows what it will really be.:cool:

- Motor cut. Forced landing. Hit cow. Cow died. Scared me.
D.S.

When I was hired at Mesaba, upgrades came at 18-24 months. Took me nearly 6 years. Now, it is around 4 years. Always changing.......

Ask yourself..."If I do something stupid and I can't move on to another company could I potentailly retire here?" QOL, for me, is a big factor. It could be 6+ years to upgrade and then the company might retire a portion of your fleet and move all of your bases on the other side of country and then upgrade might be a long time. But then, people might start quiting at like 30+ a month and it might come back down again. That coupled with any growth oppurtunities, might bring a quicker upgrade back. One big hairy crap shoot! Just be patient it will eventially come time to upgrade.

Latest resources

Back