Regional to get an ATP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cynic

When you get hired as a FO with a regional at what point do you get to do an ATP checkride?

I was thinking (yes I know this is "wrong") of trying to get hired by a regional, going through training to get the type rating and an ATP and then quitting.

I've got over 1500 hours and a few hundred multi so I think I could get hired easily.

Suggestion on how to make this work. I'd have about 6 weeks I could devote full time to the new 'job'

All check rides are flown to ATP standards, but you don't actually get your ATP until you upgrade to captain.

Don't do this. I would hope you have enough ethics not to, but just in case you don't:

You are taking a seat in class (and seniority) from someone else who really wants to be there, no matter how lame the airline.

You are pi$$ing off management, cause them to create training contracts and bonds that will be held against other pilots. Now when someone who HAS to leave the company after ten months because their kid has cancer tries to, he gets presented with a bill.

You are incurring unnecessary expenses for whatever company you do this to--expenses that ill be held against the pilot group at their next contract negotiation.

In short, you are screwing over a lot of people just to "get yours"--if you are a current CFI just take a free checkride with the feds or the DPE you have been sending students to.

Frankly, it's cr@p like yours that makes everything an uphill fight for the rest of us with management.

When you get hired as a FO with a regional at what point do you get to do an ATP checkride?

I was thinking (yes I know this is "wrong") of trying to get hired by a regional, going through training to get the type rating and an ATP and then quitting.

I've got over 1500 hours and a few hundred multi so I think I could get hired easily.

Suggestion on how to make this work. I'd have about 6 weeks I could devote full time to the new 'job'

Go ahead do it! And then try to explain it to your next employer, maybe the one you really want to work for,

Something like this

"I see you worked for XYZ airline for 6 weeks, and then you left, what happened there?" (he's thinking training problem, attitude problem, etc...)

Jeez, with OVER 1500 hours, you are obviously wasting your time thinking about the regionals. With those high times, you should just try and get a "Job" at a major, and I am sure you can "easily" get hired, especially with a few HUNDRED multi. :rolleyes:

Go ahead do it! And then try to explain it to your next employer, maybe the one you really want to work for,

Something like this

"I see you worked for XYZ airline for 6 weeks, and then you left, what happened there?" (he's thinking training problem, attitude problem, etc...)
Good point. Status quo for the industry seems to be 6 months to a year minimum. Staying with an airline job for 6 weeks would be a red flag on your work history. They might even think you were asked to resign and trying to hide it.

There's so much impulsiveness with pilots right now. Sure, it's a time of opportunity, but in the long run, your reputation will outweigh the details on your resume.

Latest resources

Back