• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional Pilots, Worth it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And just think, after 5-10 years slaving it away at a regional, you can return to the right hand seat at Jet Blue and earn $37/hr as an E190 FO!!!!! What a great industry!

wheelsup said:
Can anyone from a younger generation chime in? I'm on track to make it to a regional around the age of 24 - not the lowest age person I know, but I'm not a career switcher and haven't seen the high wages other people have seen. No wife, no kids. Just a serious girlfriend :).

Long term goal is to go to ASA or comparable regional and go to Southwest/Delta...and before all the naysayers chime in - I know southwest has been hiring - and I can't see the majors NEVER hiring again.

~wheelsup
Go to Chamiqua, PSA or Mesa. I believe the upgrade times are around a year. 25 years old flying as a CA making around 35K ain't too shabby. 3-4 years there and off to WN, AWA or who knows in 5 years. The big complainers seem to be the folks who are pissed they went to COEX/EAGLE, et al., and are still sitting in the right seat after 4-5 years. They did it the hard way, so should you.
That, or take a trip to Thailand and get the jewels snipped.

Anais Nin said:
Oh yes that is shabby!!!!!!! It's awful! I'd rather have 'em snipped than make that as a Capt.
After one year? In this economy? Still making MORE and working LESS than a MD resident who has much MORE education and is MUCH MORE in debt with a MUCH HIGHER wash out rate. Put it in perspective, brother.

miles otoole said:
Go to Chamiqua, PSA or Mesa. I believe the upgrade times are around a year. 25 years old flying as a CA making around 35K ain't too shabby. 3-4 years there and off to WN, AWA or who knows in 5 years. The big complainers seem to be the folks who are pissed they went to COEX/EAGLE, et al., and are still sitting in the right seat after 4-5 years. They did it the hard way, so should you.
That, or take a trip to Thailand and get the jewels snipped.

$35,000 a year as a Captain on ANY jet aircraft is pathetic! Grow a brain, pal.

Please tell me that your entire post was an attempt at sarcasm:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree. That sucks big time.. I make more as a KA F/O go figure..

Disclaimer: To any who read my earlier post, it probably wouldn't have sounded so negative if I weren't flying with someone with a slight people skills deficiency this month. When the days go by like weeks, it really has a way of sucking all the joy out of this job.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back