• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional Pilots, Worth it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most of the responses appear to be extremes from both sides. Some love it and some hate it. Doesnt appear to be very many in betweens.

Luchini said:
Most of the responses appear to be extremes from both sides. Some love it and some hate it. Doesnt appear to be very many in betweens.
A survey would tell all:
How many pilots with more than 5 years in the industry:
Love it, Hate it , Indifference
How many pilots with less than 5 years in the industry:
Love it, Hate it, Indifference
I think my Indifference is turning to Hate it after 6 years in the industry, don't worry all you wanna-bees, you can have this mediocre-at-best job soon enough, just remember keep telling yourself "that sunset/sunrise sure is kool", then write a quick narritive onto something, take it home and place it into the phone,electric bill instead of the usual check(that probably bounces), and wait for the disconnection of services. Kool does not pay the bills.
PBR

5+ years at CHQ, I love the job. I make than my buddy who is an engineer and a year younger than me. I usually have 15 to 17 days a month off, fly about 85 hrs/mo, and haven't missed any house payments or beer calls even with my 401(k) maxed out. This is a job you HAVE to be able to work your life around. If you can't, and not everybody can, don't do it. You have to LOVE flying airplanes and be able to tolerate the same crap at work everyone does. It's kinda cool leave EYW make it to ELP in a day with other stuff in between...

Are all reginonals as bad as pilots say they are? Are there any regionals you pilots that dont like your regional carrier would switch to if you had a chance? Maybe its not the regionals you hate but just your current employer.

I've worked for a regional carrier for 13 years and, for the most part, have loved it. I can not imagine any other line of work. Personally, my wife and I have adapted to the airline schedule of 4 on/3 off and accept it as business as usual. I was hired in 91 - right at the beginning of the airline downturn of the early and mid 90's. Life was pretty rough for quite a few years. Frequent base and equipment displacements resulted in many years of commuting and the pay was poor. Thank God my wife worked because our dual incomes allowed us to own a home with a pool in the Ft. Lauderdale area of Florida. Through all the hardship, though, I still loved the job, at its core. I flew with great people and really enjoyed myself. I did not get into this business in order to get rich. I got into it because I loved, and still love, aviation. It is in my blood.

Obviously things have improved for me over the course of my tenure here. I'm flying the EMB-145 out of the LAX base, which is only an hour's drive from my home in south Orange County, although I could be fairly senior in the CRJ-700 in ORD if I chose to commute (which I will not do if given the choice). I'm on pace to make 80K this year. My wife is on pace for 60K and therefore we have no complaints financially. Therefore, I'm happy. Yes, I am.

How much a month can one expect to receive in diem each month? How many hours can one expect to fly each month? Are the 4 day flight schedules boring or not?

Can anyone from a younger generation chime in? I'm on track to make it to a regional around the age of 24 - not the lowest age person I know, but I'm not a career switcher and haven't seen the high wages other people have seen. No wife, no kids. Just a serious girlfriend :).

Long term goal is to go to ASA or comparable regional and go to Southwest/Delta...and before all the naysayers chime in - I know southwest has been hiring - and I can't see the majors NEVER hiring again.

~wheelsup

wheelsup said:
Can anyone from a younger generation chime in? I'm on track to make it to a regional around the age of 24 - not the lowest age person I know, but I'm not a career switcher and haven't seen the high wages other people have seen. No wife, no kids. Just a serious girlfriend :).

Long term goal is to go to ASA or comparable regional and go to Southwest/Delta...and before all the naysayers chime in - I know southwest has been hiring - and I can't see the majors NEVER hiring again.

~wheelsup
Not NEVER, but not for a LONG TIME.

Yep..........you and everyone else out there!!! You think you've got it made until you start getting your resume out there and realize everyone is in the same boat as you are, and you're nobody special. It's a painful lesson to learn, and all for the chance to make squat wages! This job is not glamorous! It's just another blue-collar job!
And a tip, keep the girlfriend exactly that. Dont marry her, she'll start expecting you to be making much more than you will and it goes down-hill from there! Another tip....have a backup plan. This industry is way too volatile.

wheelsup said:

~wheelsup

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back