• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional Pilots, Worth it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hard to say. Although I love my job, and was frequently bored when working in an office before I got my break into flying, I've also been feeling pretty depressed lately about my choice to fly. That being said, I'm going to stick it out, because I'm optimistic that it can't suck forever. And the more people senior to me who get depressed and bail out, the better.

Like many others, I expected to have been flying for a major for more than a year already by this time making about $100,000/yr. Instead, I'm in first-year pay at my second regional because (sad as it is) it is a lot better than the regional I came from in many respects, not the least of which is pay.

I've already been through an 11-mo furlough and had to sell my house or face foreclosure. If someone with a crystal ball had shown me all the turmoil my family and I would go through to get where I am, I don't think I would have done it. It has become heart-wrenching to leave wife and children on non-commutable 4-day trips to come home and find that the children have grown up without me. And MAYBE three years from now I'll be making what I was four years ago. I don't care about the money so much. It's still a fun job, and if the money is sufficient to feed the family and pay for a modest house and cars, I can be happy. The time away from home is what's killing me lately. I have plans to change domiciles and move the family to the new domicile. This should improve OUR quality of life (me and my family) significantly. For any who doubt it, let me repeat what you may have heard: COMMUTING SUCKS!!!
Even for those younger, single, and unattached, I encourage you to think LONG and HARD before embarking on this career. It is NOT what it used to be!!!

I definately LOVE my job! I would rather have no other career. I worked as a mechanic in various maintenance jobs and hated every minute of it- just not my forte. I'm a 4th year captain at a regional- my 2003 W-2 came in at $59,723.75. That was a year on reserve not picking up too much open time. I have a wife who does not work and three small children. We survive just fine- comfortable in fact! Granted, the first couple years were a struggle, but it's been worth it for me.

I'm generally a positive person. While we all have different expectations on what our airline job should provide for us, I have a hard time seeing how anyone can let the downsides of this industry turn their passion into depression. BUT I've never been furloughed or taken a paycut. I hope and pray I'll never experience what others have sadly had to go through.

Luchini,

I hate to be the bearer of crummy news, but the job just isn't that great. I'm a Captain at a decent regional, 36 years old and have a two year old baby at home. The money sucks, the work rules are ridiculous and if you think a regional airline is an organized work environment, well, you might want to put down the pipe. I don't mean to knock the career, but it's not really a career anymore. It's more like a shi##y part-time job. I know, I know, there willl be those who say just quit, which is exactly what i'm in the process of doing. I think i'm worth a hell of a lot more than 40K and i think my family is as well. I humbly ask that you think of your future. Right now, a wife and kids might be the furthest thing from your mind, but just wait, in a couple of years you'll be changing diapers and calling your wife to tell her that you've been extended and aren't going to be home anytime soon. What about the instability. But that's just the little stuff. I'm more concerned with not being able to provide for my family in an era where everything is becoming geared towards the rich. I come to work to work. I come to work to earn money. I have my fun on my time off. I think that's how it is for most of us. If pilots loved their jobs so much, why are we always racing to get to the next destination, to get out of the plane. It's fun to wear the uniform, but let's face it, nobody really thinks you're cool. Go to school, get a high paying job in a secure industry, bed hot chicks and retire early. Fly for fun and on the side. Buy your own plane and do aerobatics or touch and gos or whatever you want. Don't kid yourself, flying from the middle of fukc all to Podunk-Podunk isn't that exciting. Don't bankrupt your life to sit in an airplane eating fritos. Besides, by the time you make it to the majors all the money will be gone. Best of luck. Learn from our mistakes.

Pay does suck if you are flying a Saab, Brasillia or 1900. But it's quite a bit better in an RJ. A lot of 3 and 4 year RJ FO's make what a 1900 or Saab Capt does. All the CRJ Capts are making $50K+. most are making over $60K, a lot are over $70K and some are even making 6 figures. The QOL at major airlines flying RJs is a lot different than hustling a 1900 in and out of LGA for Colgan or busting your butt in a Saab at MDW for WindyCity. No offense meant or intented to the turboprop guys.

If you can get on with any of the RJ operators the money and pay isn't too bad once you survive 1st year pay and probation. As an example, 2nd year FO's at CMR are making around $40K (incl per diem). The other major RJ operators pay similar wages and most places have reasonable work rules. Sure, we'd all like to make more and work less but my experience has been that it isn't as bad as some folks would have you believe.

I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. Go fly. It beats working a 9-5 gig for a living.

Last edited:
I am a regional FO with just over two years seniority.

My current bid pack contains only 5 lines out of 132 that give more than 15 days off. I currently spend approximately three weeks a month on the road.

A typical hard line is 4-5 four-day trips (depending on the number of days in the month). Typically we have 2-3 days off between trips. For commuters some of this time off often must be used to get to and from work because trips are often not commutable on the same day. Our contract gives us 11 days off.

I made $21,000 last year. It rises to $28,000 if you count per diem. That situation has increased a little bit since I got a pay raise to the CRJ scale this year, but I'll probably still only make $30-35K. I support a wife and child on this income.

As I sit in my hotel room, I wonder if I'll regret missing so much of my son's childhood when I'm old and gray.

On top of that, I expect to be furloughed early next year. The bright side to that is that it probably won't be for longer than 18 months and when I come back, it will be to a low fare carrier instead of a regional.

On the other hand, the flying is great. There is nothing in the world like flying a jet. It really is awesome. I love the repsonsibility and the challenge. I can't imagine going back to an office job.

However, if I knew then what I know now, I don't know if I would have started an airline career in the first place.

I love the flying, but I hate the sh-- that goes with it.

PBR--

Koolaid?? Yeah right. I'm one of the first guys to b1tch when mgt pulls their normal bs. I've voted NO on both pay packages since I've been employed here. Voted YES to the Union this year, and when we have another drive, I'll vote YES again. Yes, I did make over 40g last year (including per diem), and no, I VERY RARELY work on a day off, as I have better things to do. The lines I bid average 90+ hrs per month with 14 or 15 days off. If the 80 hr credit lines had 18 days off, I'd bid them but they dont. You can have 14 days off and get 80 hrs, or work the same # of days and credit 95. Tough choice, if I'm at work, I go for the bucks. I also fly really really slow when enroute to one of those long breaks. I guess all the kool aid drinkers do that too. But all in all, like I said above, it's a pretty good gig and I'm happy to be here.

Lucini,

Yeah, the money fine and I'm comfortable with what I'm making. That being said, I do think regional pilots are grossly underpaid and overworked. In 5 years? Well I hope I'm still not at SkyWest. It's a good place to work, I dont have to commute, and I have many friends here, but the difference in earning potential at a larger carrier is too great to stick around. It's too hard to say where I'll be in 5 years, this industry is too volatile. I did my flight training the hard way, trying to pay as I went. It took me 8 yrs to go from private to CFI. The GI Bill helped I guess, as did some student loans in college. I was lucky enough to get a job at the right time, lots of hiring. I'm not so sure that will continue. I question the economics of the RJ and I think the days of big orders for 50 seaters is over. 70 - 100 is where the growth will be and I hope it's not at the regionals.

roadrunner said:
I question the economics of the RJ and I think the days of big orders for 50 seaters is over. 70 - 100 is where the growth will be and I hope it's not at the regionals.
Unfortunately the precedent has already been set at the lower end of the 70-110 seat market. It will only be a matter of time before the mainline guys bend over and either the fly the 90-110 seats for 50%+ less then what they made on the 737/DC9 or the regionals are allowed to have it. We have collectively screwed ourselves by agreeing to fly bigger equipment for the sh*t wages we are paid on the 50 seaters. Hey it's made by Canadair, so that means we can't make real pilot money!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back