Regional pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyinboxes

I know this has been asked a million times on here but who would you guys consider to be the best or among the best regional carrier as far as pay and QOL go? It's an open question I know and I've seen the pay scales but its hard to figure out what really happens with the work rules and pay, after looking at my own on some of these sites, what you see isn't always what you get. Thanks in advance.

you will not find an honest answer on this site.

I'm biased and this will be a biased answer, most all of them will be, but I'm actually happy at my job, with our contract, and our pay. It'd be nice not to be constantly bent over and threatened to be bent over by Continental, and it'd be nice to have our branded operation make some sort of profit in the near future, but ExpressJet is not a bad place to be if you have to be at a regional. Who knows, we could be out of business in 5 yrs and unfortunately, I dont think we are actively interviewing right now. The Company says we are "adequately staffed" for the projected block hrs for next year...but what will happen is CAL will come back and request more hrs, summer will hit, and we'll be short again and playing catch up in the training dept.

I dont know if that answers your question or not. Its a great place to be if you can tolerate Houston, Newark, Cleveland, or the LA area.

I would say that greatly depends on whether or not you are based at the base. Money commuting etc. I think highest to lowest top three paying regionals are Horizon , Wisky, and Comair. Wisky has a great contract from what I hear but alot of unhappy people as you have probably read. (they switched their flying a while back from United to USair) I would give part of my manhood to fly for them however. Consquently alot of people based in Denver for years had to commute to the NE=QOL problems etc. Still a very high paying regional with a good contract though. Comair issues with reduced flying people leaving long upgrade etc. Certain regionals have commuting clauses certain ones have duty rigs. etc.

I'd say in general the place to be now is not the place to be in 3 years and vice versa. Its a crap shoot and we are talking about the regionals here, where bases can change based on the customer they fly for.

Like the previous person said you are never going to get a straight answer HERE. Because the 7 year captain based in ORD at Eagle who lives there is probably PERFECTLY happy. Or the guy that has 2.5 years at wisky or xjet or heck gulfstream for that matter and just go hired at USAIR or Delta probably is ecstatic too.

All in all just close your eyes and pick one.

I would say that greatly depends on whether or not you are based at the base.
I am based at the base. I think that everyone is based at the base. That is the whole idea of a base, it bases people there, and then that becomes their base!

AT XJT you can turn a week off into 20 days off for the month with no problems.

Don't want to be gone that long? then pick up trips as add pay, can take 14 days off in a row, work an extra 4-day and pull down 90-95 credit for the month.

Very good work rules, good management.

Despite the stuff about SKW recently, the QoL when based at home and after surviving the first year pay is not bad at all. Just like flyboy mentioned is the case at XJT, one can easily drop flying to get a bunch of days off, or pick up flying. Heck, for the last three months I had stretches of 8 to 12 days off in a row, and I did not kill myself either when I did work (one day on one day off for the most part).

Being based at home is KEY! Amazing what a different outlook I have on all of this now, after commuting for a T-prop outfit for one year.

...also, that seniority build-up is important. I would not be so happy if they were hiring at a slower pace.

Lots of things to consider.

Cheers!

rfa

Last edited:
Despite the stuff about SKW recently, the QoL when based at home and after surviving the first year pay is not bad at all. Just like flyboy mentioned is the case at XJT, one can easily drop flying to get a bunch of days off, or pick up flying. Heck, for the last three months I had stretches of 8 to 12 days off in a row, and I did not kill myself either when I did work (one day on one day off for the most part).

Being based at home is KEY! Amazing what a different outlook I have on all of this now, after commuting for a T-prop outfit for one year.

...also, that seniority build-up is important. I would not be so happy if they were hiring at a slower pace.

Lots of things to consider.

Cheers!

rfa

Exactly, and make sure you don't forget to check if they have Kool-aid in your favorite flavor!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back