• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional for a career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was a 9 year guy at a good regional. I left last June for UA. I am still on reserve but should hold a line by March. I had thanksgiving off (3 days), Christmas off (4 days), New Year's Eve and day off, sit long call reserve at home and usually spend about 18 days at home. I can build a decent reserve schedule and just pick up trips that I like. Its way better than I expected. My paychecks are better than what I used to make, plus the 16% plan B, on time bonuses, etc.

As to the original poster, I tend to agree with what General Lee says. Don't settle for a regional but do homework on the companies you chose. Things are changing fast and there will be regional contraction.... Some getting hit more than others. That's the thing nobody can tell you for sure. But there will be a LOT of 50 seaters getting parked so beware of companies that have lots of them. They will shrink the fastest in the next 2-4 years.....

That's just my opinion. Results may vary and you got to do what feels right.

Last edited:
Ahh, must be one of BB's minions?

God bless...

Ashamedly, yes. I just heard some interesting news about the company search for fresh minions. You get a free $5 Starbucks gift card and a chance to win an iPad for just showing up for an interview. Pretty sweet deal considering that you won't be able to afford to eat, let alone buy an iPad if you do get the job. It's just not possible to make this ******************** up.

You'd think Regional managements would have figured this out by now.

They've gotten away with it for so long now.

NOW, RAA is screaming that the new rules will put them out of business. The extent of the new rules really ARE an over-reaction IMO but the real problem is that this industry has, for a long time, been paring away at the incentives of making this a career choice for our best and brightest.

Majors have started rebuilding and regional will too - if they want to stay in business.

God forbid, they do anything that would may the career attractive to future flyers.

Everyone is seeing these massive retirements coming and are looking at the regionals as merely a stepping stone. They don't really care what they're paying just want to do their time until a major calls. Smarty pants ceo's know this and will be able to whipsaw regionals more than ever. Look what they did to psa. Keep the pay at the majors up and you can pay guys at the regionals whatever you want. Then god forbid the sh!t hits the fan and you're stuck make 4th year fo pay for the next 10 years.

I'm primed and ready to check the no box. I honestly don't give a flying ******************** what any TA looks like at this point. 7+ years "negotiating" is just obscene.

Bet things would be different if the Teamsters weren't running the show!

Latest resources

Back