• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional for a career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because I want to be at my kids games, recitals, be at home for Chistmas for the kids, home for New Years for me.

Yeah, it's worth that much to me to "sacrifice" and not make major airline wages. Then again, I haven't been wanting for a paycheck for 15 years while some of those at majors have.

I used to work at one of the 'best' regionals. I know lots of guys in your situation and due to the last ten years I'm sure your career plans have changed. Your kids will want help paying for college and I'm sure you'll want to retire comfortably someday. What if you ended up as an FO again at your company due to contraction? Comair guys probably never thought it could happen either. The reality is the guys flying in your right seat now will make way more than you and be home just as much within a few years of making the jump. The industry is changing.

All of that is possible. It's also possible at a major for bad things to happen. I know far more people furloughed at a major in the past decade plus than from SkyWest. My eyes are wide open, I'm not in some fantasy land. I just happen to think there will always be a regional airline industry. Hopefully I'll be a part of it. If not, then I'll bite the bullet and apply to a major and watch my sons games on tape when I get home on Monday night before I start packing for a Tuesday night departure back to base.
From what I make in addition to a gov check down the road (20 years in the reserves) I will be able to put the kids through college and have at least an ok retirement. Sorry if I don't fit the mold and my statements run counter to what most others think is the obvious path.

All of that is possible. It's also possible at a major for bad things to happen. I know far more people furloughed at a major in the past decade plus than from SkyWest. My eyes are wide open, I'm not in some fantasy land. I just happen to think there will always be a regional airline industry. Hopefully I'll be a part of it. If not, then I'll bite the bullet and apply to a major and watch my sons games on tape when I get home on Monday night before I start packing for a Tuesday night departure back to base.
From what I make in addition to a gov check down the road (20 years in the reserves) I will be able to put the kids through college and have at least an ok retirement. Sorry if I don't fit the mold and my statements run counter to what most others think is the obvious path.

I think SkyWest is the best place to be in a contracting segment of the airline industry. That being said, many at SkyWest are not as in tune with reality as you are. A :03 minute increase to MDG or $.05 increase in per diem is not a raise. You guys are falling behind inflation and are likely to keep taking concessions. I hope you can spread some of your reality to your peers.

R41

Yup, there's some here that I can't quite figure out, but to each his own.

I voted no btw.

I keep telling people there is a "window" of opportunity coming up. If you get on at a legacy in the next 2-3 years, you will probably spend very little time on reserve. You can pick a narrowbody plane, get senior on it, get double pay overtime if you want it, have great QOL because you are senior in category, and pay for college while creating a retirement plan for yourself. If you wait until the end of the hiring wave, you are opening yourself up to potential problems. 5000 pilots will retire at EACH legacy. Getting on early could mean the difference between holidays off, weekends off, sooner.

Roswell is correct, Regional pay and benefits don't seem to be getting any better.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
There, fixed that for you.

Yet? We'll see. You may be right, they may have to sweeten the pot a bit to retain some people, but huge portions of the fleet could get parked because of lack of pilots. According to people I know at Republic, they too are having problems filling classes. Look at Great Lakes as another example. You'd think Regional managements would have figured this out by now.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yet? We'll see. You may be right, they may have to sweeten the pot a bit to retain some people, but huge portions of the fleet could get parked because of lack of pilots. According to people I know at Republic, they too are having problems filling classes. Look at Great Lakes as another example. You'd think Regional managements would have figured this out by now.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Republic is having EPIC problems getting "meat in the seats" as the manager of scheduling was so fond of saying. Cancellations galore.

Latest resources

Back