• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional for a career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One airport an airline does not make. You said the 50 seat market was dead, you now qualify the remark by city and airline.

We are losing routes of course, we are gaining some as well. Granted they are places most have never heard of, but the plane is still flying.

One airport an airline does not make. You said the 50 seat market was dead, you now qualify the remark by city and airline.

We are losing routes of course, we are gaining some as well. Granted they are places most have never heard of, but the plane is still flying.

Russ, apparently you don't realize that General Flea is always right...

Sooner or later he's bound to convince you and everyone else by repeating himself ad nauseam!!!:puke:

Last edited:
Not in SLC. Ed Bastian said in the conference call last week there won't be any "single class" RJs in SLC in a couple years , meaning unless someone plans to put a first class section in the -200, it's GONE. You probably fly the UAL side, but I have a feeling each Legacy CEO is planning to park almost all 50 seaters sooner than later. Gas is still way too high to justify the expense. Throw in a lack of pilots at most Regionals, and those 50s will be parked first so they can crew the 70/76 seaters. It's already happening Russ.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Oh wise one, you forget about "pro rate". I bet you actually believe the E120 is dead too.

The wage gap between LCC/legacy and regional is only going to widen. During the 'lost decade' since 9/11, regionals have seen tremendous growth and RJ captains could touch a six figure salary. Now the shoe is on the other foot and by second year pay, most LCC/legacy FO's exceed senior RJ captain pay. There is little to no growth on the regional side. If you have more than ten years left and this business supports you and your family, making the jump or trying to is worthwhile. Who would want to do essentially the same job over decades for a million or two less in compensation?

Because I want to be at my kids games, recitals, be at home for Chistmas for the kids, home for New Years for me.

Yeah, it's worth that much to me to "sacrifice" and not make major airline wages. Then again, I haven't been wanting for a paycheck for 15 years while some of those at majors have.

The wage gap between LCC/legacy and regional is only going to widen.

Bet you two rounds (beverages) that you're wrong.

There WILL be a regional market in the future. The economics will always be there as long as there is customer demand for frequency over gauge in smaller markets.

Pilot pay in the cost-model is peanuts. The one thing that is certain is that if regionals/LCCs/etc, are going to keep pilots, they are going to need to close the pay gap - again.

The only thing I can foresee keeping some of the disparity is for the industry to make the case for lower mins (750 hours?). Even then, unless industry-wide compensation increases, intelligent prospects are going to pursue more stable and lucrative careers.

Last edited:

Russ,

Hey, listen to the analysts and airline CEOs. It's not getting any better for 50 seaters. Just bid to the 70/76 and hang on there if you need to. You guys are getting some E175s for UAL, try that. And one airport does make a very large hub for you. SLC is full of 50s now, but that will change. Throw in an app somewhere, you have the PIC.... Or.... Don't. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Did you guys hear that Delta is getting 88 717's???

You've probably seen some in ATL and DTW already. More to come. Rumor has it a possible 717 category in NYC too. About 600 new Capt slots.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back