Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

singlespeed

building turbine time
I need some advice. I fly for a part 91 operation and have some questions. I have already asked this on the major side, so I want the regional guys opinion. Currently I fly a small biz jet and a king air all PIC. I make what a 2-3-year FO pay like at a Comair or ASA. I have nowhere with in my company to go and will never get a pay raise. My QOL is descent I work about 12-15 days per month and have 4 hard days off where they can’t touch me. Most of the time lots of time off but have worked the entire month too.

My boss uuuuggg where do I start? Comes off as a nice person wants to fly but is not a professional pilot. Has gotten into this position some how before we the pilots were hired. Has been over heard that he will fire us over operation issues, which has knowledge or experience with. This person is your typical “ I want to fly and I don’t care about the money.” I do care about the money I have bills to pay.

It’s not all bad here low stress, most of the flights are into small airports and we are not pushed into weather. I want to know if there is anyone out there that has gone to a regional and if you’re happy with your decision. I am on the fence.

Well, singlespeed, there are a few questions you need to ask yourself. What do you want out of life? Do you want to be an employee and make someone else wealthy, or do you want to make yourself wealthy? Just remember, where ever you land career-wise you'll just be an employee, at the control and decisions they make that are best for themselves (be it someone you fly for or company you work for) and not you. If you don't think it happens just look around at all the corporations, big and small, that lay off without even considering what their employees will go through. The same thing happens at any airline.

Are you making good money? Does your company look like they'll be around for another couple of years? If so this is what I think might serve your best interest. Since your sitting around at an FBO be productive and start taking control of your future. You need to pick up a copy of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki. It's changed my life around like no airline company could ever have. It will teach you how to use the time you have sitting around an FBO and with the money you're making to start down the path of financial freedom. Will an airline give you that freedom, you ask? Well, yes, I guess it would if you were already making the money you are currently making. And that my friend will not happen any time soon at a regional. Maybe five years down the road. But in five years you could be making much more if you pay close attention to what "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" has to offer.

Then you would be able to afford to fly anywhere the airlines may take you, and you go first class. I've been at the regionals and at the big boys, furloughed, after 9/11. And believe me, I wish I would have read the book before I began my aviation career. I'm not saying not to fly, but what I am saying is to build yourself a passive income vehicle so that you do not have to worry about seniority lists, contract negotiations, furloughs, etc. You would be able to really enjoy what airline flying ought to be and not a place jocking for position for the next upgrade, domicile, aircraft, etc. Next time you're in a terminal look around and count on one hand how many smiling pilots you see. They're all working the system to see how best it they will fit in.

I think you know the answer to your question. I left a $34,000/year King Air Captain position 3.5 weeks after I landed it when ACA called. The first year was tough.

Wisest choice I ever made in this career.

But ... to each his own. It's a choice between GA/135 and airline flying.

GogglesPisano said:
Wisest choice I ever made in this career.

This is a really interesting topic, one very close to my situation. With the exception that I was layed off a year ago but have the potential to get back to corporate. Just dont think I want to.

I very much want to experience the 121 side of things. If the flying is as I expect, then I think it will be a career move. I enjoyed part 141 flying and expect to have a lot of the same comraderie. Incidentally, I have an upcoming interview with CHQ and possibly XJT (if they call, that is). I am really looking forward to flying the line.

So, the question is:
Can you elaborate on why this was such a good decision?

I know that.... But it didn't seem relevant to his answer or to the thread....

Sorry I guess I missed the point...

I think he means that Part 141 is more regulated and structured than Part 61 flight training, like the difference between 91 and 135/121, and that is what he likes about it.

Thanks Ray!

even after I re-read it, It seemed understandable (not perfect, but you got the point). ;)

That is exactly what I meant!

>So, the question is:
Can you elaborate on why this was such a good decision?

I can tell you why it was good for me - stability. I flew Part 91, mostly on Lears, for three years in ATL. Great fellow pilots, great mechanics, good airplanes, owners that meant well but were new to aviation. Flew 20-30 hrs/month, not many overnights. No hard days off, but free almost every weekend. Contract flying on the side. Owner trusted us to keep him safe.

The problem was the owner, when his business started to slide. We always got paid, the airplane always got its squawks fixed, but the uncertainty was terrible. The fear of the airplane being sold was foremost in our minds. Plus, even though i was typed, i was the #2 pilot in a 2-man flight department. Unless the boss hit it big, we were stuck in a Lear 25 indefinitely.

I went to Comair 1.5 years ago. Got in at a good time, wasn't on reserve long, now I have a regular schedule, most of the weekend off, i know exactly when i have to work, 2nd year pay isn't bad, and we love the flight benefits. the training is excellent, i fly with great people, and i'd much rather be in the air than spend 12 hours at an FBO with no TV. the biggest downside is how much i'm away from home. Lots of people below me, so i won't get furloughed unless something really bad happens.

my captain on the lear is still there. the owner recently sold 1/2 the airplane to another guy, so they're flying much more now, including lots of weekend layovers. the new owner, much like the last, is always saying there's a Lear 60/Citation/Hawker coming, all they have to do is sign this next deal. Somehow, that deal never closes. He has no regular co-pilot since i left, but he has a few guys he relies on. this is getting tougher since the insurance requires all copilots be typed and current. Hard to find if you're not sending them to school yourself. He says now that he'll give it another year, then try to get on with Home Depot, Coke, or some other big ATL flight department.

the regionals are good for me because i like having a set schedule, i like to fly a lot, and i want a shot at the majors.

the Lear is a good fit for my captain because he doesn't like being away from home and he likes running his own ship.

there are lots of things that can go wrong on either pah, so you just need to decide which one is a better fit for you...

Latest resources

Back