• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Red Arrow Days ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What would an appropriate solution to the 'red arrow' day situation be?

I mean, really, I hear guys complaining about too many red arrow days, and then I hear guys complaining about too many reserve lines. Which is it? I've even heard the same guys complain about not being able to swap when they have a line, and then complaining the next month that they don't have a line so that more people can swap.

Does anyone have an actual, realistic, solution? It would be easy to say, swaps always approved, but how realistic is that? Someone has to work weekends and holidays....

Any real solutions or new ideas here?

What would an appropriate solution to the 'red arrow' day situation be?

I mean, really, I hear guys complaining about too many red arrow days, and then I hear guys complaining about too many reserve lines. Which is it? I've even heard the same guys complain about not being able to swap when they have a line, and then complaining the next month that they don't have a line so that more people can swap.

Does anyone have an actual, realistic, solution? It would be easy to say, swaps always approved, but how realistic is that? Someone has to work weekends and holidays....

Any real solutions or new ideas here?

I think the practice of using reserves to cover open time is a major problem.. I was under the impression that this month was going to be easier on reserves. I think a big part of it comes down to staffing and using resources appropriately.

I think the practice of using reserves to cover open time is a major problem.. I was under the impression that this month was going to be easier on reserves. I think a big part of it comes down to staffing and using resources appropriately.

Exactly... Clinging onto tons of open time only to unload onto reseves is the biggest problem. It's a low-down, ghetto maneuver by middle management to save on spending. However, it's more of a headache to all the departments below them than it's worth. Clark Howard wouldn't even approve.

Build more lines and increase line values with the open time and use reserves for their intended purposes. How's that for starters?

I agree..the way they hold onto open time is the problem. Reserves should be available for sick calls and other problems that arise on short notice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't red arrows just a visual reresentation of the old low coverage. Now you just know that your cances of a swap are slim before you put it in, not waiting until after. I've been here almost 6 years and reserves hae covered OT the whole time. This is nothing new.

Have they been "hiding" the OT from the pot so normal line pilots can't pick it up for all your 6 years? That's what they're doing now. I'm not sure if that was how it was before or not. Maybe it was.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't red arrows just a visual reresentation of the old low coverage. Now you just know that your cances of a swap are slim before you put it in, not waiting until after. I've been here almost 6 years and reserves hae covered OT the whole time. This is nothing new.

Reserves have covered open time, but now the company is with holding more block hours than usual from the lines they build. Then they dump it all back in after finals and force feed it to reserves. That is why there are ZERO people in the reserve list every day.

Why not build more lines? The 200 CA reserves are crediting 85-100 hrs. What is reserve like on the 700 for CA's and FO's?

Goat

Latest resources

Back