Recognizing the FlightInfo Scholars

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JAFI said:
A couple years ago a guy that I use to work with became the big cheese at a college flight school. He was asking people he knew from the industry to give presentations for the students.
JAFI

Same here, in a way. Guy who used to be my Chief Flight Instructor when I was a CFI is now #2 at a college up the road. So I go up about every other year to visit him and do a presentation to the students who want to come. Most times I get a room full though. Not that I'm that good, half just want to know how to get hired in ATC. (Like I know?) ;)

My "story" is that about 15 years ago, I volunteered to go work a temporary tower at a small airport for a fly in. My "mobile tower" was a couple KX-170s mounted in a wooden box with a 12v power supply and antenna, and a 30 yr old set of steps like they used to push up to a DC-4 to de-plane. Hadn't been painted in all that time, so the rust ruined my clothes inside the first hour. No shade, so I got a terrible sun burn. NOTAM and word of a Temp tower hadn't gone out till the day before, so half the pilots flying in didn't even know about me. The Glider club decided they didn't need no stinkin' tower and continued to operate on the sole runway and infield without a radio throughout the day and never even waved at me. Ditto the RC club, (and regular aircraft continued to depart and land all day, the field never closed). They had a flour bomb contest and some sort of silly race I was never briefed about, and nobody had a plan to run those with any semblance of order. It was a total zoo. At the end of the day, one pilot came up and said "Thanks" and helped me pack up. Nobody from the airport or city ever spoke to me after I set up. Half the pilots would have been happier if I'd never showed up.

I've never voluteered for a Temp tower again. Only way I'll go to a local fly-in any more is incognito, by car... :cool:

As to the 337's. You need to talk to an Airworthness Inspector (mechanic Inspector) with your questions. If you have a specific question and need to PM me, I will see what I can do to get you an answer.

Yeah, I know, but I had some general questions about the process I thought you'd know answers to. Will PM ya later, thanks!
;)

V4F

T-Gates said:
jimborealgoodpilot

I'd vote for him...the guy was a scream...

Ahhh, the mark of the flightinfo old timer...when they talk of the UAL Poolie list and Jimbo with a tear in their eye...

Nu

Tony, THanks for the nomination, and Mar thanks for seconding it.
I'm a little nonplussed by this:

"the individual who manages to keep a low profile for the most part"

I've been shooting for loud and obnoxious, apparenty I need to apply myself more dilligently. And MAR, it's pedantry ... to paraphrase Jack Nicholson in As Good As it Gets; like I had a choice in the matter

There are too many people to list. That's what makes this such a great board. Everyone brings something to the table (except of course the ones that are here just to be a PITA).

GVFlyer's posts are always informative. Well, almost always...he does become a bit primal when defending his Gulfstreams.

Sorry if I missed it, but I didn't see TDTurbo on the list of nominees. With his vast experience(1100+ hours in 22...TWENTY TWO)...wow!... years, he has to be one of the most knowledgeable aviators contributing to this board. His feats of derring-do have undoubtably given him the mistaken idea that his stupidity is most impressive. We can ALL learn from his contributions. What we must learn from these little gems of information is that sooner or later stupid stuff will get you.
A wise old man once told me that "if you are farther off the ground than flat on your feet, you are in a hostile environment. If you are in a hostile environment the odds are against you and you can get hurt. Your job as a pilot is to do everything in your power to lessen those odds."
I nominate TDTurbo for his skill as a pilot for surviving the past 22 years. He must be very,very.....very good to have done that.

Last edited:
NoahWerka said:
I nominate TDTurbo for his skill as a pilot for surviving the past 22 years. He has to be very smart to have done that.

Then again, I would rather be lucky than good any day

Thedude said:
Then again, I would rather be lucky than good any day
From what I've read, TDTurbo has been lucky. I don't know if I'd call him a scholar though. Many of his posts seem to be nothing more than flame bait. He is a master at that. I propose a new category for him - Master Baiter.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back