• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Recent ERAU grads (or current students) question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I want to say I remember $900 a class in 1985 and just a little over a grand in 2003. From what I saw - I don't think that their flight training is anything extra special other than the networking one can do while there. The class were average and the prof's were just "ok." But what I can say is that interviewers DO take notice to an ERAU degree. It doesn't matter if it's FL or AZ or even remote - just as long as it said ERAU on the top.

I did it the fastest and cheapest way I could. All the flying outside of ERAU and I checked w/ my local colleges and Univ's to see what classes would transfer for the Pro Aero Degree. I think the ERAU catalog states that the last 30 units must be taken at ERAU and I did this in a Spring and Summer A. All done w/ a minor in Bix for $9k.

I ahve noticed that all the interns at my airline are either from ERAU or UND. This must say something....

Baja.

Serious question for you guys, and not looking for anyone to start a flame war. What made you choose to go to Riddle. I looked there when I started College in 98, I chose Southern Illinois, all four years, ratings, room and board, two degrees cost me just a little over 40K, got out instructed, now work at Eagle along side a lot of Riddle guys who spent triple what I did and we are doing the same job, they all seem like good guys, and good pilots, but no better then anyone else. What is the attraction to Riddle?

Serious question for you guys, and not looking for anyone to start a flame war. What made you choose to go to Riddle. I looked there when I started College in 98, I chose Southern Illinois, all four years, ratings, room and board, two degrees cost me just a little over 40K, got out instructed, now work at Eagle along side a lot of Riddle guys who spent triple what I did and we are doing the same job, they all seem like good guys, and good pilots, but no better then anyone else. What is the attraction to Riddle?

All the hot babes in Daytona Beach!

I just want to post this for any young buck out there checking to see if ERAU is what they should be doing with their money.

I never went this route nor ever wanted to. In fact, as an athlete on scholarship I never sat in my dorm room pining to fly a shiny jet. Flying magazine was filled with sportys and King ads back in the early 90s, not the glossy ads today that have two slack tooth grin tools looking seductively to get you to empty your wallet at their beloved institution. Life is so much sweeter when you've sampled a lot of buffet lines. When you pigeon-hole yourself into "I only know pilot stuff" you're really gonna be sorry when you're 65. If you take care of yourself you're still going to have 40-50 years of life past that. That's a lot of time to be sitting on your hands with no skills to think of past how to weight and balance a c150...or a B747...it makes no difference what friggin' airplane it is.

I'm not saying that ERAU is something to stay away from, I'm saying that if you want a separate college experience that allows you to fly, drink beer and fornicate, go to actual Div I football games and actually grow and mature on a totally deeper level, then maybe ERAU is not your choice.

Everyone expects a gift at the end of their Riddle experience. Is that what you are expecting...a job offer? the epaulets? women swooning over your mirrored RayBans as you strut into the bar to order a Michelob Ultra reeking of AXE? Thanks to Leo DiCaprio for fortifying the myth.

Some of the best instructors are found at no name hole in the walls. My commercial instructor was a 67 year old former Blue Angel who flew A-4s with his head completely out of the cockpit. Taught me skills I use today. He was $35 an hour!

Only you can decide what's best for you. The "easy" way ain't always the best. Pilot farms delude you into thinking its so easy to PFT and then get the handshake for the job. Our HR person says it makes no difference where the hell you went to school...its the person sitting in front of them, the personality, the life experiences, that makes them say yes or no.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Latest resources

Back