• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reasons I dont miss the airlines:

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it." - Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's what makes it MY quote and unique from the quote of whoever that Churchill guy is.

This industry has always had it's "fads" or whatever you want to call them. Used to be everyone wanted to work at Pan Am. Once you were there you were set for life...

Eastern was a great career destination. Once you were there you were set for life...

United had an industry leading contract. Once you were there you were set for life...

NetJets has a great industry leading contract. Once you are there you are set for life...

Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it. I just made that up and take full credit for the quote!

I remember Raytheon Travel Air was the place to be until Sanford and son (aka flops) merged with us. we had huge bennies at RTA. The interview was over a beer and a handshake. Some of you guys know what i'm talking about. They could'nt find guys fast enough. One guy met his interviewer at a layover airport somewhere and conducted the interview there! Upgrades were at three months. I remember some airline pilots looking down on us little plane drivers, and asking why i'm not applying to United, Delta, American. My how things have changed.....I'm glad you guys who left the 121 world are happy at your new Fracs, but it used to be the best kept secret!:rolleyes:

Just exactly what is the NJ business model? Or do you guys just throw those words out there like you know what you're talking about?

Since when was working at NetJets a fad?

I think that NetJets is a great place to be right now, but 5 years ago nobody talked about it at all. I would love to work there but am aware that no job is secure in aviation. Oil costs will eventually hit owners and contracts may not be renewed. FAA might impose stronger user fees to fund future ATC system on the shoulders of bizjets as well as airliners. Is there anything preventing a foreign company operate biz jets with cheaper labor from TEB-MIA? Again, I think NJA is a great company and I wish them the best and want to get hired as well, but I think it is ignorant to think your future is completely safe and secure.

Unless all of the people who really can't afford a full "private jet" start slumming it in first class when they need to travel.... NO ONE is immune to this economy....next year many may be saying "glad I didn't follow the fad and go to NetJets." You just never know, so I wouldn't get too comfortable in the losses of some low cost carriers... I choose not to live in a state of oblivious...the wealthy will be cutting back too, rest assured...

You are a silly silly man. I can't stop laughing...whew. Well, we at least know you are not a wealthy person. Go out and meet a few, then tell me if this economy is hurting them.

Agreed. I love NJA. And I certainly HOPE that I'll have a long and prosperous career here.

However, I've said it before, NO ONE is immune forever from a bad economy. It will catch up to the fracs eventually. As others have said, it's a question of who will weather the storm best.

I do believe, very strongly, that the fracs are in a better position to weather the storm than the airlines are. As costs go up, we can pass them along to our owners faster and easier than the airlines can to their pax. And as someone else mentioned, our clients have contracts which prevent immediate departures from the program.

Now, will they renew at the end of the contract? How many fuel surcharges and extras tacked onto the bill will they tolerate? We haven't reached the breaking point yet. But maybe it's very close?

The whole point being, I feel much more secure working at a frac right now than I would at an airline, but that doesn't mean the job will be here forever. I'm kinda hoping though.:cool:

t-bone, depending on what kind of open skies agreement our government comes up with, that may not be the case forever. A little scary.

The only thing truly protecting us right now is that it's still VERY expensive to live almost anywhere overseas that has a good supply of pilots, and any company that wants to seriously undercut the current fracs will need very cheap labor. I'm not sure how many foreign pilots can be recruited to do this kind of work for bargain basement salaries over there.

And FLOPS has tried to make a business out of undercutting the prices of the other fracs, and it hasn't worked out too terribly well for them.

Basically, a Citation XL from another country over here will still burn the same fuel, incur the same maintenance costs, pay the same landing fees, and all the other expenses as the current fracs. the only real place to significantly cut costs will be labor. And that brings it right on back to the cost of living overseas and will there be lots of pilots willing to work for peanuts.

Shows how much I understand Open Skies!!! Thanks for the the explanation. I thought it would only affect 121 operators, didn't realize it could affect us 135 folks as well.

Latest resources

Back