Re-interview at SWA...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilottodd2

I recently had an interview w/ SWA (02/21) and, unfortunately, was unsuccessful. Since SWA is my #1, and only, choice, I am continuing to fly the CRJ's until I can get another shot. For those of you that have already gone through this, maybe you can shed some light on what to expect.

1. I was offered the interview when SWA thought they were getting the USAir 737's, then come time for the interview, the USAir deal fell through. I personally think that is the reason SWA only picked 45 out of the 145 total interviewees. Since it looks like the hiring numbers are again going up for this year, would there be any possibility that SWA would drop the 1-year callback to 6 months or so?

2. Is it best to continue to update the online application every month or so, until another call? Or should I just leave it alone until the 1-year?

3. Once 02/21/06 rolls around, what are the odds of getting another interview right away? I understand the dynamic nature of these things, but looking for what others have experienced.

4. Regardless if I am working for my current employer at the Regional level in the CRJ, or another airline like a LCC flying the Airbus, 737, etc, I still want to work for SWA, so which would look more favorable in SWA's eyes?
a.. Continuing w/ the CRJ PIC at the Regional level (i.e. SWA hire would be upgrade) or..
b..Switching to another LCC, if the opportunity arises, and fly similiar sized equipment as SIC, then make a lateral move (thus showing SWA my true desire to work for them) and at least have a fall-back if I get shot down again.

I realize 02/21/06 is a long way off, and numerous things could happen by then, but obviously I did not impress upon them how much I would like to be a part of the SWA family, and how much they would be proud to have me, but next time I want to be fully prepared.
Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and god bless.

Dude, be easy on yourself. Getting PIC jet is great. Try not to read to much into the rejection.... You should call the people department and ask why you were not picked up this time around. They will give you meaningful feedback.

SWA/FO said:
.... You should call the people department and ask why you were not picked up this time around. They will give you meaningful feedback.

I thought the PD didn't say squat about why people didn't make it....

I've heard that your chances are much better of getting picked up the second time around. I would stick with the CRJ PIC time, unless you would really want to spend a career somewhere else as your plan B. But I think SWA would look more favorably on another 800-1000 PIC next year.

I am 1 yr + 1 month from my first interview and haven't received a call for a second chance. Hopefully, it will come soon.

Blueline

I'd say continue to build the CRJ captain time. Also, try to add to your resume by doing things within your company that show initiative and leadership (over and above the high-levels of these that are required to simply be a captain).

Above all, keep your app updated!

Good luck!

Some thoughts about your questions for what they are worth:
1. I was offered the interview when SWA thought they were getting the USAir 737's, then come time for the interview, the USAir deal fell through. I personally think that is the reason SWA only picked 45 out of the 145 total interviewees.
No way to tell for sure obviously but SWA has not hired/not hired folks in the past based upon aircraft delivery schedules....it is based many factors but not that one from past experiences. While the block of interviewees this past board had similar experiences as past folks, the performance of individuals during the interviews & LOIs was not as strong as those in the past according to some folks....that doesn't have anything to do with aircraft deliveries in my view...again, just one FO's opinion.

Since it looks like the hiring numbers are again going up for this year, would there be any possibility that SWA would drop the 1-year callback to 6 months or so?
I don't expect that to change...plan on 1 year.

2. Is it best to continue to update the online application every month or so, until another call? Or should I just leave it alone until the 1-year?
Walk away from the entire process for awhile....get refocused on other things, pursuits, professional development (leadership opportunities)....at the 6-9 month point then begin to start your re-education & prep to get ready for that 1 year anniversary date to re-apply & get your app up to date...

3. Once 02/21/06 rolls around, what are the odds of getting another interview right away? I understand the dynamic nature of these things, but looking for what others have experienced.
Remember you were chosen this time around for your qualifications....which obviously attractive to Southwest. Will you be less attractive to Southwest a year from now? Probably not but there are many folks out there with your exact qualifications who haven't been called either. All one can do is to reapply at the one year window & hope for the call....I doubt if you predicted your phone call for the last interview & the same will be said for your next call....however, having been passed over once gives you a tremendous advantage in knowing what the "process" is like which will work to your advantage when the call comes....again walk away from this & enjoy life, family & friends.....the time will go by much faster & you won't go "postal" either in the process:)

4. Regardless if I am working for my current employer at the Regional level in the CRJ, or another airline like a LCC flying the Airbus, 737, etc, I still want to work for SWA, so which would look more favorable in SWA's eyes?
a.. Continuing w/ the CRJ PIC at the Regional level (i.e. SWA hire would be upgrade) or..
b..Switching to another LCC, if the opportunity arises, and fly similiar sized equipment as SIC, then make a lateral move (thus showing SWA my true desire to work for them) and at least have a fall-back if I get shot down again.[

Tougher question but one that many folks have to deal with....I would shoot for 2000+ hrs of PIC time...once that occurs make the move to that next step in the ladder that in your opinion makes you more "hireable" to Southwest....if however you have the opportunity to build toward check airman status or training captain at the RJ if you stick around longer, something that you may not have on your resume then stay where you're at & go for the greater leadership opportunity....if it is way down the road (3-5 years), go for the next step on the career ladder, LCC or to legacy carrier, i.e. CAL for COEX type folks...that's about the only place where thru-flow is occurring I believe.

I realize 02/21/06 is a long way off, and numerous things could happen by then, but obviously I did not impress upon them how much I would like to be a part of the SWA family, and how much they would be proud to have me, but next time I want to be fully prepared.
Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it is a way off but there are folks reading this right now who were exactly where you were 1 year ago & are now at Southwest, i.e. rejected from a past interview & picked up on the 2/3/4th try.....that could be you next year sometime....if you're letter didn't say you're a jerk, don't waste our time, fall off the face of the earth:rolleyes: (we save those for the really special interviewees!) then you'll have another shot at competing but until then get on with your career, find opportunties to distinguish yourself from others that surround you & continue to build your flying experiences....also do an honest analysis (not too much so you don't pull a muscle) of how the interview/LOI went, logbook prep, LORs (did you have references called? if not then you probably never got out of the chute from the interview), previous employer recommendations....there maybe nothing there for you to hang your hat on to point at "this was what did me in" and if not, then don't worry about it....talk to others who have been successful & continue to do your best at your current job.

Thanks and god bless.
Your welcome & yes we are all blessed in our own ways:D ...cheers

Last edited:
SWA/FO said:
You should call the people department and ask why you were not picked up this time around. They will give you meaningful feedback.
Tried that, didn't ever get a call back and never could get in touch with anyone whom would know. I gave up after 3 attempts over a two week period because I didn't want to pester them...

2 more months until I can reapply... waiting... patiently... :)

Latest resources

Back