Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ramped by 2 airport cops and 2 sheriffs. . .Accused me of a Felony!!!! No Kidding

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a non-expert in this also. So now that it is over, how about calling the Sheriff and ask them what brought this about? Tell them this is the first time anyone has ever heard of this sequence of events and was just curious how it happened so that it could be avoided in the future. Let us know what they say so we'll be well-informed with the facts and then we can become subject matter experts.

Dr Pokenhiemer said:
I'm a non-expert in this also. So now that it is over, how about calling the Sheriff and ask them what brought this about? Tell them this is the first time anyone has ever heard of this sequence of events and was just curious how it happened so that it could be avoided in the future. Let us know what they say so we'll be well-informed with the facts and then we can become subject matter experts.

If I was almost arrested for a felony, I wouldn't be so sure that it was "over". If Iflyabeach was serious about finding out what happened, he should have his attorney make that phone call. Unless of course the cops gave him a piece of paper that said the felony investigation was officially declared over and anything he says from now on would not be used against him in a court of law.

The cops came out to the airport and almost arrested him for a felony. For some reason, they left him standing there at the airport as a free man, but who's to say it's "over"?

Last edited:
Metro752 said:
It doesn't make sense. This has got to be small town politics and B.S.
All the more reason to be a good citizen and let a lawyer make that phone call.

Remember this post on the thread from the AA pilot that got indicted by the feds for impersonating a federal LEO and making false statements to the feds? He thought it was over when he drove away from a traffic stop. According to this boxesdontbitch guy, two weeks later the feds show up and want to chat.

Had he clammed up when the feds came to talk to him about it, he would have faced only the one charge of impersonating and even that might have wound up as his word against the local cops word, if it made it to court. However, the feds poked that piñata with a stick during a friendly chat "detention" and low and behold...he gives them a second charge on a silver platter, the making of false statements to a federal agent.

Which would be the best choice? Shata or make up a story?

Now nothing, not even the best lawyer in the land can take back what he said. I'm not defending this guy, I only know what we read in the US AG's press release and what this guy posted, but speaking more is not your best interest when the spotlight is on you.

Originally Posted by boxesdontbitch
Okay, i actually know this guy. He and I were in the same guard unit (im retired) and still live in the same city. ..He was pulled over for a traffic violation and did try the ole "brother law enforcement" bit to dodge it. stupid, but not criminal. he did not claim he was a federl airmarshall but a part of the airmarshall program. trying to explain the FFDO program to someone who never heard of it. Then a couple of weeks later the feds show up to "just ask a few questions, to clear up this misunderstanding" Just a friendly chat, no need for a lawyer or anything. Next thing he knows hes indicted and the whole thing has literally become a federal case. Now he has a DA who wants a juicy career enhancing case (maybe get on FOX news!) and the feds with an axe to grind on FFDO's in general. So far American has told him that unless he is convicted they have no problem. The Air Guard though has grounded him and revoked security clearances until this is resolved. So if you are in the FFDO program, beware. You cannot dick around with this and skate by. Lots of confusion about your legal status as "law enforcement"

IMO just another reason to scrap the FFDO program, many valid points to have a last resort but, thousands more reasons not to have some idiot in the aircraft with a gun and badge and NO law enforcement training. :puke:

SKYLAWYER said:
I agree with you on showing your certificates to anyone when not aviation related, but just remember DWI and DUI and covered in the FAR's because you have to report them. I believe substance abuse also is in thier somewhere but don't quote me on that one. These situations could required production of your certificates away from the airport. The good news is that good old barney fife usually doesn't know about it. Goodluck!

You are not required to have, in your possession, any type of avition certificates when you are not excercising the priviledges of those certificates. Period. If someone were ask for mine and I'm not at the airport I would just say I don't have them on me and there is NOTHING that anyone can do to me under the FAR's.

FN FAL said:
Then he'd tase you, you'd be arrested for impeding an officer/interfering with justice/disrupting investigative karma (or whatever catch all law they have on the books) and you'd be seeing the judge on Monday morning. In addition, don't eat the jailhouse chili and remember, you don't have to say boo...just name, rank and serial number.

They CAN'T take your certificate from you. They may examine it, but THEY MUST RETURN IT TO YOU. If they plan on revoking it there is a process for that, and it does NOT involve them taking it from you during a ramp check. With a cop, I would state before I handed it to them that I was giving it to them for examination, but under the FAR's they must return it to me after inspection.

Never mind....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back