Radiotelephone Operator's License

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GCD said:
Yes, you need it domestic and international. It's an urban legend that you don't need one for domestic flight. It became urban legen when the FAA quit checking for it. When the FAA stopped enforcing FCC regs, everyone just began believing it wasn't needed. Just don't leave the US without one, though.
From the FCC website:

An RP (Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit) is NOT needed to operate the following:
  • a voluntarily equipped ship or aircraft station (including a CAP station) which operates only on VHF frequencies and does not make foreign voyages or flights.

I've flown into Canada many times. Of the few times when CanPass actually met me at my aircraft, they never looked or even asked about my FCC License.

It is a requirement though! Don't leave the US without it!
-Night_Flight-

canpass rules!! There isn't even a license number on the FCC permit. I'ts just a piece of paper, what a rip off!!!

actually there is a ruling by FCC that pilots who posses a pilot certificate for domestic operation does not have the certificate. however under ICAO you need this to operate internationally.

Just filled out the application process ($50)... it took about 30 mintues to navigate through the process. We'll see how long it takes to receive the license.

You may print out a temporary certificate from the website. If you are not able to navigate your way through there is a helpline you can call. I applied online a few months ago and received the permanent in the mail within 5 days.

Latest resources

Back