QX sim ride - What would you have done

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyingFerris said:
Wow, a 180 degree turn followed by a 30 degree turns sounds exactly like the teardrop reversal he talked about. Did the reading/comprehend unit fail, or just trying to be a internet tough guy?
Tough guy? Whatever. They guy asked for opinions and I gave him mine. Read my response again after asking yourself your own question.

Flooder305 said:
Wrong That's not a 180 now is it?

You're trying to make sound simple in text what is actually more difficult in practice.Why would you do something more difficult in an interview just because it may "look" that way on the plate? K.I.S.S. principle. If you're already established in the hold continue with how you're doing it, don't change it up just because it might look pretty.....
Disagree with me? Fine. At your next INTERVIEW (where you're supposed to make it look pretty if you want to job you idiot) I invite you to get into an argument with the person conducting the ride about procedure turn techniques. Let me know if you get the job. I'm glad jacka$$es like you two don't work here. There are already enough jacka$$ capts I have to put up with. We don't need anymore prospects.

Last edited:
turbodriver said:
Tough guy? Whatever. They guy asked for opinions and I gave him mine. Read my response again after asking yourself your own question.
So your read/comprehend drive DID fail because a 180 degree turn followed by a 30 degree turn in the same direction is commonly refered to as a teardrop reversal. Boo hoo on having to put up with so many jackass captains. Wonder why I and so many others on this board don't have that problem yet you do?

Last edited:
Hey Drew,

Whatever happenned in the eval happenned and you can't change that. What you can change is biting the Frasca (or other sim) bullet and buying about 5 hours with an instructor. Believe me, it does wonders for sim preparation, especially since you will be required to establish plausible single pilot IMC ability even though in real life the crew will be two.

When I used to instruct one of the places I worked for probably got an 1/8th of its business from guys and gals wanting to hone up their skills for an interview, and Frasca's are amazing tools for that. You start out slow, learn your weaknesses and strengthen them, then start speeding the sim time up until you are at Category C and D speeds and BAM, its like breathing and second-nature.

Just be better prepared next time around, don't burn your bridges (it doesn't sound like you did), and admit past failures to potential future employers with open arms and confidence. Remember, we learn from our mistakes and none of us are perfect -- some are just better prepared than others.

Sounds like you've got a lot of decent (descent? ;-] ) advice on this thread with a few notable exceptions. Take those granulars of knowledge, apply, prepare, and you'll get the job next time. I remember blowing a Coex interview because I blew a simple IFR question and defended my answer to the professional death -- on a positive note they admired my ability to stick to my guns despite being positively, absolutely wrong and they paid for my ticket home!

Good luck.

FlyingFerris said:
So your read/comprehend drive DID fail because a 180 degree turn followed by a 30 degree turn in the same direction is commonly refered to as a teardrop reversal. Boo hoo on having to put up with so many jackass captains. Wonder why I and so many others on this board don't have that problem yet you do?
Read it again smart a$$. A straight teardrop reversal and a 45 degree procedure turn AFTER tracking the LOC outbound for a minute are two diferent things. Stop making yourself feel big on the internet and read for once.

turbodriver said:
You're making this a LOT more difficult than it has to be. If you're already inbound on the LOC but not yet at the FAF/Outer marker when cleared for the approach, pass the OM and do a 180 (on the protected side) and reintercept the LOC at a 30 degree angle and track it outbound. Fly for a minute or so and fly the 45 degree procedure turn as depecticed on the plate. Then you should be able to intercept the GS without having to dive for it.
Here so you can read your own god damn writing you idiot. You said a 180 degree turn followed by a 30 degree turn to intercept. THAT's A TEARDROP YOU TARD CART. Which is exactly what drew blows said in hind site he should have done, and what you argued over.

JPAustin said:
Hey Drew,

Whatever happenned in the eval happenned and you can't change that. What you can change is biting the Frasca (or other sim) bullet and buying about 5 hours with an instructor. Believe me, it does wonders for sim preparation, especially since you will be required to establish plausible single pilot IMC ability even though in real life the crew will be two.

When I used to instruct one of the places I worked for probably got an 1/8th of its business from guys and gals wanting to hone up their skills for an interview, and Frasca's are amazing tools for that. You start out slow, learn your weaknesses and strengthen them, then start speeding the sim time up until you are at Category C and D speeds and BAM, its like breathing and second-nature.

Just be better prepared next time around, don't burn your bridges (it doesn't sound like you did), and admit past failures to potential future employers with open arms and confidence. Remember, we learn from our mistakes and none of us are perfect -- some are just better prepared than others.

Sounds like you've got a lot of decent (descent? ;-] ) advice on this thread with a few notable exceptions. Take those granulars of knowledge, apply, prepare, and you'll get the job next time. I remember blowing a Coex interview because I blew a simple IFR question and defended my answer to the professional death -- on a positive note they admired my ability to stick to my guns despite being positively, absolutely wrong and they paid for my ticket home!

Good luck.

Thank you for the kind words and advice. You are spot on that my biggest mistake was not getting some FRASCA time before the interview. I have access to a FRASCA sim and will have the time to get reaquainted with it should Horizon be kind enough to agree to interview me again. I am honostly not worried about my stick and rudder skills the next time around, I just want to make sure that I don't make any procedural errors. My questions have been answered, and aside from a few sour apples, this thread has been fairly cordial. I knew that I vistited this sight for some reason.

FlyingFerris said:
Here so you can read your own god dang writing you idiot. You said a 180 degree turn followed by a 30 degree turn to intercept. THAT's A TEARDROP YOU TARD CART. Which is exactly what drew blows said in hind site he should have done, and what you argued over.
Try again, but this time quote the entire passage word for word. Not what only makes you look good on the internet.

DrewBlows said:
Thank you for the kind words and advice. You are spot on that my biggest mistake was not getting some FRASCA time before the interview. I have access to a FRASCA sim and will have the time to get reaquainted with it should Horizon be kind enough to agree to interview me again. I am honostly not worried about my stick and rudder skills the next time around, I just want to make sure that I don't make any procedural errors. My questions have been answered, and aside from a few sour apples, this thread has been fairly cordial. I knew that I vistited this sight for some reason.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience J.Let me know if I can do anything on my side.

To all you smarta$$es, I have flown with DB and he does have considerable IFR skills but going from a 2 pilot 121 enviroment where someone else sets headings and speeds for you back to doing it yourself is a bit of a squeeze on the ol brain. I have instructed in the Frasca 142 and must say it is quite sensitive and unforgiving to the uninitiated(sp)

If this guy is telling the truth on his aircraft flown thingy, it doesn't look like he's got problems flying on the gauges. Looks to me like he's already gotten hired twice, furloughed once, and working on a second. Obviously had the skills to get and keep those jobs.

Those of you who blasted him can kiss MY a$$........ Most of us who've been flying with someone else in cockpit for the last few years would be lucky not to break a Frasca.

Latest resources

Back