• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

QX sim ride - What would you have done

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only time that a specedic procedure is required for a procedure turn is if it is published as a hold. If it's a barb you can use any type of procedure turn you want to.

turbodriver said:
You're making this a LOT more difficult than it has to be. If you're already inbound on the LOC but not yet at the FAF/Outer marker when cleared for the approach, pass the OM and do a 180 (on the protected side) and reintercept the LOC at a 30 degree angle for the outbound. Fly for a minute or so and fly the 45 degree procedure turn as depecticed on the plate. Then you should be able to intercept the GS without having to dive for it.
Wrong That's not a 180 now is it?

You're trying to make sound simple in text what is actually more difficult in practice.Why would you do something more difficult in an interview just because it may "look" that way on the plate? K.I.S.S. principle. If you're already established in the hold continue with how you're doing it, don't change it up just because it might look pretty.....

turbodriver said:
You're making this a LOT more difficult than it has to be. If you're already inbound on the LOC but not yet at the FAF/Outer marker when cleared for the approach, pass the OM and do a 180 (on the protected side) and reintercept the LOC at a 30 degree angle for the outbound. Fly for a minute or so and fly the 45 degree procedure turn as depecticed on the plate. Then you should be able to intercept the GS without having to dive for it.

Wow, a 180 degree turn followed by a 30 degree turns sounds exactly like the teardrop reversal he talked about. Did the reading/comprehend unit fail, or just trying to be a internet tough guy?

Thanks for the responses guys. It took a while, but I finally got some negative responses, that might be a new flight info record.

I'm NOT try to point the finger at anyone but myself, I just wanted some feedback. I'll freely admit to anyone who asks that I can't fly a FRASCA worth a damn. I haven't flown a FRASCA (or a single pilot) in many years, and didn't have time to get any time in one before my interview, that was a mistake. Since I'm being furloughed in January that won't be a problem again.

Please don't insult me by saying I can't fly instruments. You don't know me, you haven't flown with me, it was rude, and unnecessary.

If I'm fortunate enough to get another interview opportunity, I know what I will do. Believe it or not, some of your opinions helped, which is actually more than I hoped for.

DrewBlows said:
Thanks for the responses guys. It took a while, but I finally got some negative responses, that might be a new flight info record.

I'm NOT try to point the finger at anyone but myself, I just wanted some feedback. I'll freely admit to anyone who asks that I can't fly a FRASCA worth a dang. I haven't flown a FRASCA (or a single pilot) in many years, and didn't have time to get any time in one before my interview, that was a mistake. Since I'm being furloughed in January that won't be a problem again.

Please don't insult me by saying I can't fly instruments. You don't know me, you haven't flown with me, it was rude, and unnecessary.

If I'm fortunate enough to get another interview opportunity, I know what I will do. Believe it or not, some of your opinions helped, which is actually more than I hoped for.

I am sorry you did not get the job. The sim ride is probably the most important part of the interview (as you probably have found out). If you are able to get yourself another interview, I would recommend going to Boing field in Seattle, and getting a couple hours in the sim there, and I believe they have the profile. The Frasca is not like flying a normal airplane, it is more like taming a wild animal. Keep sending your resume, they like persistence, and good luck next time.

Rotate140 said:
...I'm still amazed you didn't know where the VOR was located in Walla Walla. That part of the sim eval should have been a no-brainer. Additionally, you should have better prepared for the interview. If you really want a job with Horizon then spending some money/time would have paid off during your sim eval. Quit pointing your finger at the person who did your sim eval and whether they were right or wrong about flying the approach. Nobody is going to be holding your hand when your flying that exact approach into Pendleton at night, IMC with 37 people on board.

From what I've read you fell short of the 'bar' that horizon has set for potential pilot candidates. Learn from YOUR mistakes.......

You must be the tool that called the FAA over a fish box. Go back on leave.

DrewBlows said:
I had a hard time holding a precise heading and altitude, missed a few radio calls, and was generally uncomfortable with the single pilot IFR situation.

Remind me to never put my family on any plane that you are piloting.

Burger King in New Orleans is handing out $1,500.00 signing bonuses to handle their meat. Perhaps you should try a different career?

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Ben Franklin said:
Remind me to never put my family on any plane that you are piloting.

Burger King in New Orleans is handing out $1,500.00 signing bonuses to handle their meat. Perhaps you should try a different career?

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Really classy, pal. You feel better?

Latest resources

Back