QX -400 News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Southbound,

You hit the nail on the head. They will threaten to outsource your flying to Mesa and whom ever else. There is a lot of excess capacity in the regional markets. Those companies will be looking to place those a/c somewhere. It is a threat to you and me.

Southbound said:
I think the threat would be to outsource our flying to Mesa or some other LCC regional. If they stoop to that, you can have this place.

If mgt. does that they shoot themselves in the foot. The best thing Horizon has going for it is the customer loyalty through our superior customer service. If mgt. loses sight of that and we walk and they try to outsource to sh!thole operation like Mesa the company will definately be hurt worse than giving us what we negotiate. We just need to stay united and call all bluffs.

Sioux115 said:
Does anyone that is familiar with our CBA know what kind of scope clause we have? It seems to be the current mantra in the regional level to add another certificate of a/c to whipsaw the pilots against each other (ie. freedumb, republic, GJs). I don't know if it is really worth the Air Group's time to do that for our upcoming negotiations but its a possibility.

As I understand it, we have the same vulnerability in our contract as TSA (for example) has in its contract. Our contract is with Horizon Air Industries, not Alaska Air Group, and prevents Horizon Air Industries from doing a bunch of nasty alter ego and/or subcontracting stuff, but does not prevent AAG from forming an alter ego to transfer flying to, ala GJ's. Horizon is free to dispose of assets in any way it pleases, so long as Horizon doesn't benefit from that asset's operation elsewhere. It doesn't say the Air Group can't benefit.

Having said that, except for the F9 flying, it's hard to imagine the Air Group wanting to do it, or thinking it would be worthwhile. We're not like Mesa/Freedom or TSA/GJ's in the sense that we are still our own, branded, majority native network airline-in-a-box. Customers would notice if some brand new alter ego ("Cheesehole Express") started providing service to ALW, OTH, RDM, YLW, etc., instead of Horizon. The flying public is probably pretty oblivious when some other airline (i.e. Freedom/GJ's) starts taking over Mesa's/TSA's contract flying for Delta or whoever. The Air Group is so protective of its brand identity, that it's hard to imagine them wanting to muddy the waters with an alter ego, just to get around our scope.

I for one think that if the QX pilot group can display a little solidarity, we are holding a lot of cards in the upcoming negotiations. Our Exco seems pretty sharp and pretty determined, and I support them and intend to help them frame this debate on our terms, not management's terms.

Jeez, by the time I finish one of my long-winded posts, the debate has already moved on.

Last edited:
flx757 said:
I think all mach none is trying to say is that the Air Group is and has been, with all employee groups, adamant about getting "market based" compensation.

Hmm, I wonder where this reverence for "market-based compensation" was when their F-28 pilots were making less than virtually all 50 seat CRJ pilots out there?

tomdav said:
Looks like all the fun will start just as soon as the contract expires.

I've been seeing a lot of these statements being made recently, referring to the contract "expiring." It's important to all QX pilots (and everyone else for that matter) that we understand from the get go, especially before negotiations begin, that under the Railway Labor act, contracts do not "expire" as in become null and void, they become amendable on their amendable dates. Meaning, upon reaching the amendable date, the current contract remains in force until a new one is ratified. This results in no rush for the union to begin talks with the company ASAP. This is in fact, another ball in our court.

I've come across individuals who don't understand this and the company will use it to their advantage if they catch on.

turbodriver said:
This results in no rush for the union to begin talks with the company ASAP. This is in fact, another ball in our court.

Amen. We will negotiate in good faith, but very carefully and deliberately, in order to clear up all the so-called grey areas subject to management interpretation in the current CBA, you know, confusing concepts like the definition of a "day."

Dear Art,
Your name was so similar to Art Thomas I had to laugh out loud. If you know who Art Thomas is, however, you would not be asking. Yes, the DHC8 is one type rating, just like a 737, CL65, which covers all -series aircraft.

PumpkinPony said:
I don't think anyone in DEN wants paycuts either. Who does?

Re: the meeting - did you know that they changed that meeting date like the day before the meeting and rescheduled it for two days later? They didn't advertise the date change very well either. For anyone who had planned to go that made it nearly impossible to do so.

*Sigh* Somehow that doesn't surprise me. We really need to get our sh!t together to go into negotiations strong. Incidently, I'm glad to see all the Horizon pilots here are dead set against any "concessions for growth," etc. You see it on the union message board but you'd kinda expect those active in the union to take that stance.

So...kinda nice that Gene is gonna give us all sorts of tips on how to save money for fuel....or NOT, if the company plays hardball in negotiations! :D

Our fuel policy is very interesting, I went through SkyWest training before I got here and almost every taxi was single engine. I was just surprised the attitude when I got here was it really won't save us that much gas.

Latest resources

Back