Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bob Loblaw

Unimpressed User
OCTOBER 19, 2005 - 15:00 ET Horizon Air Signs for 12 Bombardier Q400 Airliners TORONTO, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - Oct. 19, 2005) -

Contract Converts Seven Existing CRJ700 Orders; Adds Five Additional Q400 Firm Orders.

Bombardier Aerospace announced today that Seattle, Washington-based Horizon Air has signed a contract to acquire 12 Q400 turboprop airliners. The transaction includes the conversion to Q400 aircraft of seven firm orders currently held by Horizon Air for the CRJ700 regional jet, plus five incremental orders for the Q400 turboprop.

The revised contract is valued at approximately $294 million US at list price. Deliveries of the Q400 aircraft from this order are scheduled to commence in the fourth quarter of 2006. Delivery of the one remaining CRJ700 from Horizon Air's previous order is scheduled for the first quarter of 2006.

Horizon Air currently operates 18 Q400 aircraft. The airline also operates 19 CRJ700 jets, of which nine are flying as Frontier JetExpress on behalf of Frontier Airlines.

"The Bombardier Q400 provides a fast, quiet and comfortable travel experience for our customers, while delivering optimal fuel efficiency and low operating costs," said Jeff Pinneo, President and CEO, Horizon Air.

"More and more, airlines are recognizing the unique qualities of the Q400 turboprop," said Steven Ridolfi, President, Bombardier Regional Aircraft. "No other regional aircraft can offer its combination of jet-like speed, passenger comfort and fuel economy. The Q400 aircraft is in a class of its own."

That should help with the long upgrade times at Horizon. And, both of those plane types are really nice. Will they be replacing any of the Q200s? Will the CR7s go to the Frontier side?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Great, more broken mega-whackers. Why don't we just keep the RJs on order because we substitue them for broken whackers anyways. Does anyone know what kind of delivery schedule they are on?

These new markets opportunities, do we have any competition there? I'm assuming we are going to expand out of LA finally after all of the rumors. And if so I assume it will be against RJs. Has the flying public gotten over their "fears" of props yet. I just don't see Mr. and Mrs. Smith getting on a 400 instead of a jet. But we do have free beer and wine with Starbucks, so I guess only time will tell.

Sioux115 said:
But we do have free beer and wine .

Speaking of free beer and wine. I know Alaska started serving Alaskan Amber; does anyone know if Horizon is doing the same?

JAC2LAS said:
Speaking of free beer and wine. I know Alaska started serving Alaskan Amber; does anyone know if Horizon is doing the same?

October's beer is Hale's Ales O'Brien's Harvest Ale.

JAC2LAS said:

Alaskan Amber is five bucks a bottle on Alaska.

It would be nice to know how many Q200 we are parking in the process, I would not get too excited about expansion just yet. Looks like all the fun will start just as soon as the contract expires.

tomdav said:
It would be nice to know how many Q200 we are parking in the process

I'll wager all of 'em eventually. But for now, this news is really only a planned net increase of 4 airframes (not including the potential Chinese -400's?), once the -200 replacements are netted out, according to the Q&A.

dispatcher121 said:
They don't need to serve an Alaskan beer. They serve better! The finest local beers and wines from the PNW....it doesn't get any better. :beer:

Awww come on...better than Alaskan? Like there's a such thing. But I guess if everyone drank Alaskan I'd run out....so keep on drinkin' the other stuff.

Latest resources

Back