QX -400 News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sioux115 said:
We are completely different from Comair in the fact that we still have our own native route structure that makes us money instead of waiting for payments from a bankrupt carrier.
This reason alone is why Comair should never come up in negoiations. It needs to be repeated to Gene over and over and over and over.

We are our own standard.

Last edited:
FlyinScotsman said:
Well management is gauging the waters with the Golin Harris themed "Command Recognition" class. Trying to see where the weaknesses are which groups might be sympathetic to their ideas. We are at the very begining of the contract negotiations show...........stay tuned! We all know(and if ya don't.....listen UP) that the company wants concessions of some sort. They do NOT want to be at the top of the pay pile.

If the fleet plan shakes out the way they want it too, I agree there will not be much growth............WOW Big Suprise THERE! No growth at QX!!! So maybe no call for "concessions for growth", but don't worry they will think of something.

I'm glad I am not alone in thinking that the "command recognition" is a load of crap. Who would want to go and be a lab rat for managment. Maybe the Teamsters could hold a class for managment............Of course if they didn't want to go we could dock them a days pay, about 4.0 hrs.

Icelandair said:
We don't fly regional standard airplanes. Regional standard is 200' DA and 1/2 visibility, not 50' DA with 600 RVR.

If that was the case then fo's back in the metro days should have made more than captains. 100da(cpt monit) with 1800rvr RAW DATA.

DashTrash400 said:
Sioux115, are you still DEN-based? What's the general mood out there? I think the PDX/SEA pilot group is pretty unified against concessions; I worry about DEN being on board just because there are a lot of newer pilots, ya'll never have to put up with crap from Mr Hat & The Hammer, etc. Supposedly nobody (ie ZERO pilots) showed up to the last union meeting over there.

What've you been hearing?

I don't think anyone in DEN wants paycuts either. Who does?

Re: the meeting - did you know that they changed that meeting date like the day before the meeting and rescheduled it for two days later? They didn't advertise the date change very well either. For anyone who had planned to go that made it nearly impossible to do so.

captpetefam said:
No, I haven't lived in CA and never wish to. It's those pricks from CA who moved up to the PNW and drove up the cost of living on everyone else. Like the ol' billboard used to say down on I5 south of K-Falls, "CALIFORNIANS - you are welcome to visit our lovely state but please do not stay." Oregon - Keep it Green and Granola free!!

Cya,

CP

Nobody in cali wants to move up to this cloudy mil-dewed wonder land. Who do you think drove up the housing in CA? All those rain soaked peace love'rs who wanted to dry out.

turbodriver said:
All kidding aside, no way in hell are we getting a pay cut.

The mechanics just ratified their contract, they got a (slight, but better than a cut) raise, I'm sure that the dispatchers didn't get their ass handed to them either. (Can our local QX dispatcher here confirm this?)

Plus, the third quarter earings are out. We made money, like we have been the past couple of years.

If they come to us for concessions, I'm just going to scream.

"Market based wages" Plus the threat of outsourcing some of the flying. Mark my words.

It will be curious to see how you defend your pay especially when big brother is flying 140+ seats for 156/hour and your RJ Captains are making 115/hour flying 70 seats. I wish you luck! We will be facing the same battle in 07. Alaska will be one of the top paid carriers again.

Last edited:
There should be no need for Horizon pilots to defend pay in comparison to Alaska. Back when Alaska pilots were making a real living and QX was in contract negotiations 1997-2001 there was never a comparison between 737 wages in Seattle and F28/DHC8 wages in Portland. 2 different animals. QX pilots will have to defend it compared to the rest of the poorly paid regionals out there.

On an different note, what exactly does remarketing mean? Will these DHC8's be flying divers in Belize or will they fly QX/AS passengers in some capacity in our own network? I smell a rat but can't figure out where the smell comes from.

Another Tangent Note...

The PIC said:
Nobody in cali wants to move up to this cloudy mil-dewed wonder land. Who do you think drove up the housing in CA? All those rain soaked peace love'rs who wanted to dry out.

Ah... so that's why a Rambler costs $800,000... All those Rich Hippies coming down from OR. All the hippies I know live in the back of VW Van/Campers out in Florence and can barely afford their dubbies let alone a shack in LA.

Once again, California's problems come back to OR. "Uh... why are all the lights off... I bet we can steal some power from those pale-faced ducks up North."

Cya,

CP

Southbound said:
There should be no need for Horizon pilots to defend pay in comparison to Alaska. Back when Alaska pilots were making a real living and QX was in contract negotiations 1997-2001 there was never a comparison between 737 wages in Seattle and F28/DHC8 wages in Portland. 2 different animals. QX pilots will have to defend it compared to the rest of the poorly paid regionals out there.

On an different note, what exactly does re-marketing mean? Will these DHC8's be flying divers in Belize or will they fly QX/AS passengers in some capacity in our own network? I smell a rat but can't figure out where the smell comes from.

I think you will. You have to remember that we are all part of the air group and mainline pay is going down everywhere. It will be difficult to defend your position of high pay and work rules when the mainline pay is only 40/hr more for and a/c that is at least twice as large and your "regional" brothers are making a third less. Your pay will be way out on the tip of the spear and I would suggest giving up pay before work rules. You will never get work rules back once they are gone.

mach none said:
I think you will. You have to remember that we are all part of the air group and mainline pay is going down everywhere. It will be difficult to defend your position of high pay and work rules when the mainline pay is only 40/hr more for and a/c that is at least twice as large and your "regional" brothers are making a third less. Your pay will be way out on the tip of the spear and I would suggest giving up pay before work rules. You will never get work rules back once they are gone.

On the other hand, perhaps we should hold the line on OUR compensation and improve OUR work rules, so when you go back to the table, you can point to us and say, "see, we need to have pay at our end of the air group that is "X" percent better than lil' bro."

I won't mind you pointing to us and saying, "we need to make "X" much more than them." But I'd prefer you didn't point to us and say, "they're making too little less than us, so take some from them."

I imagine management likes your way of thinking, though.

Latest resources

Back