• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

QX -400 News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We are completely different from Comair in the fact that we still have our own native route structure that makes us money instead of waiting for payments from a bankrupt carrier. Of course the company will ask for paycuts and claim industry standard b.s. But the fact still remains we are not industry standard, we are making our own money and have been for the last few years. And as for the concessions for the growth crap will never happen because our pilots are way too senior to care about growth instead of pay.

We don't fly regional standard airplanes. Regional standard is 200' DA and 1/2 visibility, not 50' DA with 600 RVR.

Sioux115 said:
We are completely different from Comair in the fact that we still have our own native route structure that makes us money instead of waiting for payments from a bankrupt carrier. Of course the company will ask for paycuts and claim industry standard b.s. But the fact still remains we are not industry standard, we are making our own money and have been for the last few years. And as for the concessions for the growth crap will never happen because our pilots are way too senior to care about growth instead of pay.

It won't stop them from asking....Managment is a little out of touch you know!

Definitely not enough growth to take concessions.

Growth projection:

Worst case: 1 airframe

Somewhat best case: 4 airframes (plus perhaps the 2 Chinese -400's)

Maybe slightly more if we don't find homes and/or do find work for the -200's.

Why should we take any concessions for this kind of growth?

In Gene's own words:

"A little thing in the Bombardier agreement called Q200 "remarketing" muddies the waters a bit. Remarketing is contract-speak for subleasing some of our Q200s to other operators. One of our stated missions for the new Q400s is to replace Q200s on high load factor flights within our native network. In the event that we can't find a better use for these Q200s elsewhere, Bombardier has agreed to help us sublease up to 12 of our Q200s (one for each new Q400 we are taking).

At one extreme, the 13 aircraft in the order announcement (12 Q400s and one CRJ-700) minus 12 subleased Q200s would result in a net gain of only one more aircraft than we are operating today -- but it would, of course, still provide good promotional opportunities. In reality, our Planning guys think the Q200 remarketing number is probably closer to nine, for a net gain of four aircraft. Again, that's only if we can't find a better use for the Q200s elsewhere.

So, to give you a sense, here is how the crew numbers could break down if nine Q200s were subleased out of the existing system:
  • 56 new pilots
  • 106 new flight attendants
  • 28 first officer upgrades to captain
  • Opportunity created for 72 Q200 captains to move to the Q400
  • Opportunity created for six Q400 captains to move to the CRJ-700
Note that this is an approximation only -- actual results may vary.
Obviously, if we sublease less Q200s, the above numbers go up. Also, keep in mind that these hirings and upgrades are in addition to vacancies created by normal attrition and retirements, MLOAs, etc. And don't forget that we are still evaluating the opportunity to purchase two previously owned Q400s from China-based Hainan Airlines, and that we have 20 additional Q400 options available after the firm delivery stream in mid-2007.

Bob Loblaw said:
..........So, to give you a sense, here is how the crew numbers could break down if nine Q200s were subleased out of the existing system..........

......to "Horizon Dash Express," the new graduate studies program in the UND Aviation department. With pilots paying tuition to sit in the cockpit it would become economical to serve some of the currently marginal markets, even with the reduced payload capability of the aircraft.

Well management is gauging the waters with the Golin Harris themed "Command Recognition" class. Trying to see where the weaknesses are which groups might be sympathetic to their ideas. We are at the very begining of the contract negotiations show...........stay tuned! We all know(and if ya don't.....listen UP) that the company wants concessions of some sort. They do NOT want to be at the top of the pay pile.

If the fleet plan shakes out the way they want it too, I agree there will not be much growth............WOW Big Suprise THERE! No growth at QX!!! So maybe no call for "concessions for growth", but don't worry they will think of something.

Sioux115, are you still DEN-based? What's the general mood out there? I think the PDX/SEA pilot group is pretty unified against concessions; I worry about DEN being on board just because there are a lot of newer pilots, ya'll never have to put up with crap from Mr Hat & The Hammer, etc. Supposedly nobody (ie ZERO pilots) showed up to the last union meeting over there.

What've you been hearing?

All of the capts. I've flown with are extremely against any concessions and most of them already have lists of what they want changed. One capt in general is adamant that we are under payed and wants to go after pay increase. Don't know much of what the junior fos think, I don't get to see them much.

Lets not all forget how management prides themselves for having the most advanced technology of any regional in the world. That makes us INDUSTRY LEADING, so common sense would be we deserve industry leading pay. The fact that we do make our own money instead of being a Delta Connection or United Express and we make a profit doing it should be argued in our favor. I'm sure they will think of something, but we as a pilot group better stick together and not fall in to their hands. A pay increase would always be good, but who knows. I would be happy if the pay and min guaurantee stayed the same, but some of the work rules need to change.

You did miss something...

dispatcher121 said:
HUH? Did I miss something? :confused: I moved here FOR the inexpensive cost of living! (Obviously this guy hasn't lived in CA or the NE :nuts: )

No, I haven't lived in CA and never wish to. It's those pricks from CA who moved up to the PNW and drove up the cost of living on everyone else. Like the ol' billboard used to say down on I5 south of K-Falls, "CALIFORNIANS - you are welcome to visit our lovely state but please do not stay." Oregon - Keep it Green and Granola free!!

Cya,

CP

Latest resources

Back