• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quiting smoking for pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One thing is for certain, you have to want to quit with every fiber in your body, you can not do it for anybody but yourself.

I have been quit for 6 Days, 11 hours, 58 minutes and 10 seconds (6 days). I have saved $50.03 by not smoking 259 cigarettes. I have saved 21 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 10/13/2005 9:19 AM

^ I love that program, thanks to the poster for linking that. Great motivator.

The first 72 hours were not as bad as you might think, I used a lot of candy, snacks what ever was around. Exercise, ahh the air! Just think, you know your bud that is always ragging on you because you will NOT bike the 10 mile trail with him, now you can beat him. REHAB those lungs chief!

If ya cant lay off nicotine, at least try to convert over to the smokeless kind. Overall its less (in)evasive, and you can still be active and work on your fitness.

I have already saved enough to buy a new video game OR;take the girl to dinner, pay my cell phone bill, pay my internet bill, buy 1 hour in a C150, fill up my car with premium gas and buy a 12 pack, pay someone to clean my gutters....

Last edited:
Good luck guys, watch out for the triggers. These are evil moments in the months to come that make you want to use nicotine. In my case (buying the "gum" to purely abuse) it was trying to grocery shop with two sick and screaming kids. Bars and social settings are notorious. Any significant stress. You'll need to come up with a mental or physical mechanism to cope with the sudden brutal cravings that in reality last only a few minutes.

Almost 24 hours now. I have done this once before, only lasted about a year though.

Last edited:
48 hours, now. I wish there was a good way not to be not so grouchy when I get a craving.

Last edited:
smoked for 10+ years.
quit cold turkey last year, I still want to smoke when in a bar or drinking, but have only slipped a couple times when drinking.

my wife quit at the same time, which has helped in the long run, but at the time it was brutal for both of us!

Smoking and other Tobacco products

Good Luck to you and anyone trying to quit. I went "Cold Turkey" 15 yrs ago on cigarettes. I quit All tobacco product finally about 8 years ago. I still get tempted evey now and again, but will power keeps me "Clean". Good luck, it will be one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Latest resources

Back