• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quit flying job to go back to college?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to clarify the issue......WH, you said you're looking for options/back-ups as far as losing your medical, or other reasons that you might not continue flying? Seems like you would want to consider a degree in something else besides aviation, thus Riddle or UVU, etc. wouldn't be what you'd want. (Not putting them down, just suggesting major subjects other than aviation).

My 2 cents. your right in this economy you can't trust anything. here is what you do, 1.) keep your flying job till you get a better one or get layed off. 2.) take one or two classes at a time and before you know it you will have your degree. If by chance you do lose your job, then go balls to the wall full time and knock out the education.
as long as your working your paying your bills. If I would have done this I would have two masters by now. Also, don't worry about the kid. they don't do much for the first year or so any way, you will have lots of time to study.

What degree would you do?
Find a niche and you will make $$ in this economy.
PM me for details I was going the flying route got side tracked and now make six figs 3yrs after college in a steady secure job
. I can work almost anywhere in the US and get job offers weekly.

College thing

Do I see a bunch of FI pilots recommending he not go to college full time that you can actually get a degree and continue flying full time? Those airlines don't really care how you got your degree or what it is in? All kidding aside, if you want to fly airplanes, the first jobs in the next hiring boom will go to those pilots who are currently flying. The old adage of its easier to get a flying job when you have flying job still applies. My advice is do it part time or on line, you will get credit for your assoc. degree and may even get credit for life expenses.

Last edited:
I agree with those who say do it online, or night classes if you have a regular work schedule. If you want to continue to make a living as a pilot, I wouldn't recommend leaving a good job to shore up the "backup plan." But I do think it's a good idea to get the bachelors degree. It will be difficult for sure, but it will be over before you know it. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back