• Start date
  • Watchers 22

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Every story I have heard from those who have dealt with ALPA sounded similar. Alot of hype with nothing to back it up. If you openly disagree with ALPA, you're labled as a victim in a weak attempt to stifle your open discontent with ALPA. Don't forget, this is supposed to be a "professional" association too:rolleyes:

But hey, give it some time. ALPA will be like the radical Muslims. You make fun of ALPA and they will behead you.

So what do you to defend yourself?
1. work out and stay in shape. Therefore you will easily outrun the overweight ALPA types. Also, keeping lean on body fat, chances are they won't be as likely to eat you....unless they have some really good BBQ sauce in their flight bags.

2. Stay away from the local fishing spots and golf course. Because they're usually there spending your dues while on "Union Duty"....Instead of flying or working for the pilot group.

3. Stay out of local strip clubs. That's the only place they can see a naked woman. But even strippers think ALPA guys are creepy, because their drool gets stuck in their mustaches.

4. Grow a mustache. They will just think you're another ALPA cheerleader, and pat your tooshy...it's the new ALPA secret hand shake.

Are you cocksure or intelligent?

I'm sorry Rez, but you make me laugh with your "words of the day".
So after breakfast each morning, when your mommy changes you out of your PJ's into your pilot uniform for the day. Does she just think of the first word off the tip of her tongue, and have you look it up in the dictionary?

He's trying to get the most out of his word-of-the-day calender :D

You make yourself out to be a whiny ALPA victim.... its embarrassing. Why would you allow yourself to be so dependant on an organization you despise. You can do better...be a better person.... why don't you want to improve instead of settling?

Rez...If you only knew the damage you do to ALPA....

We would never allow ourselves to be dependant on ALPA....only an idiot would...

Those of us who don't drink the ALPA koolaid do want to improve our lots...ALPA can't deliver that, and only an idiot would believe they can...

Those of us who don't drink the ALPA koolaid do want to improve our lots...ALPA can't deliver that, and only an idiot would believe they can...

Joe, you know the only Kool-Aid drinkers are non-union, pro management types.

The Union guys are drinking the fine wine, and Dewers whiskey.....that they get served while hanging out with their management buddies.

We all know ALPA is just a stepping stone for guys who are wanting to be airline management. :)

Those of us who don't drink the ALPA koolaid do want to improve our lots...ALPA can't deliver that
Fantastic point, Joe. ALPA is part of the system which is resisting change. Until fundamental changes take place within ALPA, we can bank on more of the same.

Fantastic point, Joe. ALPA is part of the system which is resisting change. Until fundamental changes take place within ALPA, we can bank on more of the same.

ALPA is all about change. They even spent your dues on mass producing Pro-Obama stickers for flight bags.
"Pilots who want change".......But it could also mean "Pilots want change...but we're really appreciate dollar bills."

Aw, Rez! I see what you're doing here! You're trying to play the trick of avoiding the suckage of ALPA and making me out to be the bad guy.
You're a tricky one, but you're not going to get me!
There are two types of ALPA victims. First and foremost, the pilots who are forced to be ALPA members. Forced to pay the 2% a month for nothing.
And then the other victims are the ones who are star struck by the ALPA cheerleaders. Those are the guys who read the pamphlet and believe all the hype called ALPA. Those are also the guys who can't see through the fog, and are highly impressionable and shame on you for taking advantage of their stupidity!

I did work for the local when I was at an ALPA carrier, and I saw the BS from behind the scene. The man hiding behind the curtain, he had this saying it went like this : "Ok, this is what we're going to tell them...." and then it was followed by some BS twisted story. That story always contained some truth, but mainly filled with BS and fluff.
The other motto our local had was "I have a plan for your situation, but we're not able to discuss your personal situation with you at this time....". That really meant "hey, I was busy fishing the last week and haven't checked any of my emails or voice mails."

So before you come up with more assumptions about me, I ask you take the blinders off and see that great big steaming pile of ......for what it is.

You say there are two kinds of ALPA victims.....

which one are you?

How does ALPA force you to pay 2%? Be the tough guy that you profess to be and stop the insanity. Keep your tax deductible 2%!

Seems like you and so many create your own expectations and then try and change the world only to realize that there is a process..... part of the process is influence and collaboration. Many guys have great ideas but lack the skillset to work with others. Ideas are great, but the actual work needed to make ideas a reality should be left to those with maturity and patience.

Fact is... while change can be too slow at times in our American institutions, too much change or change too fast can also be ineffective. The organization will be constantly changing and not progressing forward.

It is obvious by your sophomoric posts of snide comments and boyish insults that in short time you'd become persona non grata, whereas real professionals who volunteer their time, despite the frustration of committee work, work to effect positive change.

Combine that with ego manics who use ALPA leadership positions to stroke themselves, you got a real recipe for disapointment. No one forced you to be an airline pilot, no one forced you to join ALPA and no one forced you NOT to volunteer... No one forced you NOT to run for office and NOT be the smart, intelligent, effective agent of change every professional deserves. Don't expect others to be what you can't or won't be.

Not unlike the RJDC. A reasonable idea these folks had, although it lacked inclusion of all and was really a windfall seniority grab but it could have gained traction. Yet when it came to bringing in effected parties, these clowns had the skillset of a pouty 14 year old girl who just lost her texting privileges.

As far as your personal situation..... no really cares until their neck is in the noose, then suddenly they act like welfare recipients and want to know what gubmint gonna do for them. That is not ALPA's fault. That is your fault and your fellow pilots fault for not creating an effective representation structure on your property. In other words, the tools and resources were provided... but build your own house. Quit blaming those who are not responsible.... In addition, your "personal situation" would not have mattered if any other union was on the property. There are nightmare representation stories from the Teamsters.

But don't fret too much... victimhood is a way of life for many in the US. In addition, misery's favorite guest, Joey Merchant is on this thread... he'll show you how to be the biggest, whiny, most pathetic victim in the professions history. The best the self appointed victims can ever be are cry babies. That is what they do and they do it well. Acting like Wayne and Garth, sneering and snickering is the top of 'self appointed victims' game. It just simply doesn't get any better than that.....

So press on... be the best you can.... populism and puerlie wit never needed you so bad!

How does ALPA force you to pay 2%? Be the tough guy that you profess to be and stop the insanity. Keep your tax deductible 2%!
ALPA will actively try to get you terminated if you don't pay your 2%.

Seems like you and so many create your own expectations and then try and change the world only to realize that there is a process..... part of the process is influence and collaboration. Many guys have great ideas but lack the skillset to work with others. Ideas are great, but the actual work needed to make ideas a reality should be left to those with maturity and patience.
Those "with the maturity and patience" have brought us to where we are today. The current system isn't working. How much longer do we continue down the same path? And where do you expect the change to come from, the current ALPA leadership? A) They Lack the creativity. and B) They have every incentive of not rocking the boat lest they want to be back on the line working for the S***y contracts they foisted upon the pilot groups.

Fact is... while change can be too slow at times in our American institutions, too much change or change too fast can also be ineffective. The organization will be constantly changing and not progressing forward.
We needn't worry about too much or too fast a change with ALPA. The leadership at the top is very opposed to change.

whereas real professionals who volunteer their time, despite the frustration of committee work, work to effect positive change.
And they've also ********************ed up quite a bit in an effort to effect positive change. I'll venture to say they've ********************ed up more than they've fixed.

Combine that with ego manics who use ALPA leadership positions to stroke themselves, you got a real recipe for disapointment.
This right here is where I'd have to guess 95% of disappointment in ALPA stems from. If the spokesmen for ALPA were a little more reserved in their communications, they wouldn't spike everyone's expectations (refer to Obama as an example). How could people be disappointed if something didn't work out in ALPA's favor then? None of this "Live to fight another day" hog******************** (there will be no fight!!!) or "We got management by the balls now!". ALPA has created their own Anti-ALPA mob by setting unattainable goals. Tone it down a bit and ALPA might have fewer detractors.

Rez, I'm not going to waste my time right now reading your long, dribble of a post. According to you, anyone who is opposed to ALPA in anyway or form, you try to belittle, insult and even try to scare. You look like a clown and you do a lot of damage to ALPA on FI.com. I have thick skin and nothing of what you say bothers me, but you show how typical ALPA reps are towards pilots who have issues with the Union.
There are even current ALPA reps who come on this forum and insult pilots for opposing ALPA.
One issue I will address. You constantly "do something to change the union"....well first off, I'm not with an ALPA carrier, but now that I know how many people have problem with ALPA and the fact that the AAA guys were able to vote you off the property, I would head up a petition to vote out ALPA. But I'm not at the airlines, so therefore I cannot.
I know others who would like to dump ALPA, but they just don't have the brass to put together a rally to vote out ALPA. The only thing ALPA can push around are it's current members, and they do this because they know they have no power against the management, so they have to flex there muscle on someone.
Pilots know that if they start to rally against ALPA, the ALPA reps/cheerleaders will do everything in their power to make their day to day lines as miserable as possible. They will threaten them, saying that they will make sure they're blacklisted if they want to move on to another carrier. They use the jumpseat as well, because it's one of their very few leverages.

How do I know? Because I know people at USAir who told me this stuff was going on. Also, I worked for a non-ALPA carrier and during a drive to vote on ALPA, reps were telling guys to force ALPA upon the others. It went as far as pushing and shoving on the ramp, in a threat if you didn't vote on ALPA. They also threatened the people opposed with blacklisting their careers.

In the end, the actions of ALPA reps/cheerleaders are highly immature and childish.

Latest resources

Back