• Watchers 22

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here, I'll show you how this is done.
At first I wasn't going to respond to this, because I normally don't converse with people who ask a question, then answer it themselves....but my eyes scrolled over some stuff below.

2) Encourage my peers in the industry to both a: educate the new pilots coming up in the ranks as to why accepting lower wages actually hurts them as well as the profession, and to b:resign their positions at their respective companies when management chooses to issue pay cuts. Of course it won't be difficult to accomplish this, seeing as their are no pilots out their willing to take these positions for less than what we get paid.

I just want to make sure this is your idea. You said something above about ALPA is working on this, but I'm pretty sure you meant the other stuff. Atleast I hope so.
Either way, you really expect pilots to resign when management suggest pay cuts? Am I reading that correctly? Because if I am, then I have to tell you. The guys who are serious about doing this, have already done that. They left for other careers or other flying jobs. The others who claim they're going to do it, are just talking.
The airline would like you to leave. You cost too much. They want some pimple faced kid who is "just happy to have a job flying a jet!", for $18k a year.
Also, this would be hard for ALPA to recommend. More pilots quitting, less dues to pay for Worthless's and Prater's retirements.

And I agree that ALPA has been woefully inadequate in this regarding education. ALPA should begin this education initiative in HIGH SCHOOL career days, and continue that program through college and beyond. And as far as item b, well a national seniority list might solve that, but how to implement that is beyond me.
Ever hang around a flight school on your days off? I mean since you've been a pilot, I'm sorry, a Profession ALPA Pilot? You ever hear what those students or instructors say? "Any job would be better than instructing. Even if it pays the same or less, it's much better there". But it's not just that. In one of my new hire classes, ALPA came in and talked to us. Gave us the "ALPA is good, Company is Bad" speech, told us how the company wants us to take concessions, or else we lose our jobs. I kid you not, people in my class, mainly guys who were first time airline pilots said they don't care if they have to take a pay cut. They just want a job flying! We even had a female instructor tell us that she's going to vote yes on the pay cuts, because she doesn't want to go look for a new job.
I guess what I am trying to say, no matter what you tell them, how much you scare them. When it comes down to them getting a flying job, they are too friggin star gazed, and don't mind if they lose pay, just as long they're flying! Yeah, it sucks. But it's true. That's the type of mentality that is ruining this industry. Look at the guys who write a check to advance their careers as far and as fast as they can. You want to fly with a guy like that? He's paid for a job, in turn putting a paid pilot out of a job. Has he done more good for the industry or more bad? Personally, no amount of time he puts into working in the union can make up for the way he made his way there. He paid to put a pilot out of a job, now he thinks he knows about brotherhood and unity? He's a sham. He's a really bad, no talent, wannabe politician only looking out for his own good....while wearing sheep clothing, claiming to work for you.

Mainline has a right to protect what is theirs, but when they give it away to the regionals, then it is pretty much gone.
I agree, but ALPA has mainlines interest in mind first. Still amazes me that ALPA is primarily regionals, yet mainline has the control. Maybe it's because mainline pay hire dues. Or that President is always a mainline guy...how about get a regional pilot in there as President?

See, I'm not the same as any old ALPA cheerleader, and I don't personally believe that PCL and REZ are either
I never claimed you to be.
Rez tries and claim he's not. But he has a problem contradicting himself from thread to thread.
PCL on the other hand, that guy is so lost. I think his spaceship ran out of gas, and he will never return to earth.

You would gain far more credibility by being constructive, rather than destructive.
I'm not here on FI to gain credibility. I originally just came on here to peek around, until I saw a thread where Rez and PFT128 were throwing a hissy fit because someone said something bad about ALPA.
I'm like a dog. I smell the weak and keep on biting their ankles. Oh, or I'm like a train engineer, I keep shoveling feeding the coal into the fire.
I'm also like a gardener, I keep shoveling the manure.

speaking of manure, I have to go change my kids diaper. He's been loading his diapers with some big, stinky ALPAs today. .

Last edited:
Whatever. You prove my point again and again. But thanks for playing.

No, it's not that I proved your point. It's because for some reason you want me to sit here and have a deep, thoughtful, heart to heart, "professional" conversation with you. Sorry, not going to happen.
If you want that, then log off FI and go down to the local coffee shop and talk to the chick in the corner reading the book titled "My Parents Didn't Love Me".
She can get all theosophical with you.

Sounds like your problem with with pilots with free market ideals that are willing to take pay cuts to keep a job.... not ALPA...

So how do you expect these pilots NOT take a paycut when we live in a free market, individualistic society of 'I got mine'?

No, it's not that I proved your point. It's because for some reason you want me to sit here and have a deep, thoughtful, heart to heart, "professional" conversation with you. Sorry, not going to happen.
Is that because you are not a professional?

If you want that, then log off FI and go down to the local coffee shop and talk to the chick in the corner reading the book titled "My Parents Didn't Love Me".
She can get all theosophical with you.
She is not spreading lies, misinformation and being childish.... Are you sure its your childs diaper that needs changing? :) I kid, I kid... I know you don't wear a diaper...

Sounds like your problem with with pilots with free market ideals that are willing to take pay cuts to keep a job.... not ALPA...

So how do you expect these pilots NOT take a paycut when we live in a free market, individualistic society of 'I got mine'?

You're partially correct. But those pilots wouldn't have taken that pay cut if ALPA reps weren't telling them that they would be furloughed, lose more flying or "thing could be worse". Those guys who buy into that crap are the ones who don't know any better and are easily impressionable. Like the politicians you strive to be, you prey on the weak, because others can see through your BS.

Pay cuts wouldn't be an issue if there weren't 50 different regionals flying for the same 6 mainline carriers. Also, if the one common union got together, came up with one level of pay across the board, then it would be harder for management to whipsaw.
But, the politicians at ALPA don't think that's how a union operates. Although truckers, heavy machinery and railroad unions work that way.
I know, Rez. I've heard it before, no real union operates like that. You know everything Rez, I forgot.

Is that because you are not a professional?
Your right, I'm not. Since I'm not an ALPA member, I am no longer a professional pilot in your eyes.
Being a non ALPA member sucks. Because when I chose to leave the crappy airline industry, I had to go find a new flying job. I also had to discuss my own salary, since I don't have a union to negotiate one for me. These bastards told me they were going to pay me based on experience and years I have flown previously. I know, it was dreadful, long grueling work, but in the end it got accomplished. Probably not as fast as ALPA would have gotten it done, but in the end it took about 2 weeks from start to finish. Doesn't it take you reps about 48 hours to complete salary negotiation? I thought so, it's because you guys know what you're doing and are good at it.
Let's not even discuss scheduling, that sucks! 14 min days off. I tell ya, they're trying to break me! You know these guys also told me they were paying for my type rating?! The nerve! Every real professional pilot pays his way to the top, just ask PFT128. He's a real man!

I must go now, but don't worry, I will be back later.

You're partially correct. But those pilots wouldn't have taken that pay cut if ALPA reps weren't telling them that they would be furloughed, lose more flying or "thing could be worse". Those guys who buy into that crap are the ones who don't know any better and are easily impressionable. Like the politicians you strive to be, you prey on the weak, because others can see through your BS.
How is it they would take a pay cut? On their own accord? Which airline and situation exactly?

Pay cuts wouldn't be an issue if there weren't 50 different regionals flying for the same 6 mainline carriers.
Just 50? Are you sure there aren't more?

Are you saying ALPA is responsible for the number of regionals?

Also, if the one common union got together, came up with one level of pay across the board, then it would be harder for management to whipsaw.
Easily said... difficult to actually do... which is what you've beeen told on this board.

But, the politicians at ALPA don't think that's how a union operates. Although truckers, heavy machinery and railroad unions work that way.
I know, Rez. I've heard it before, no real union operates like that. You know everything Rez, I forgot.
Do truckers operate via the RLA? Tell us how the railroads do it? How does the RR industry work? Does Amtrak go to FRA?

Your right, I'm not. Since I'm not an ALPA member, I am no longer a professional pilot in your eyes.
Have you demonstrated professionalism on this board? Why do you expect me to believe you are a professional on the flight deck?

Being a non ALPA member sucks. Because when I chose to leave the crappy airline industry, I had to go find a new flying job. I also had to discuss my own salary, since I don't have a union to negotiate one for me. These bastards told me they were going to pay me based on experience and years I have flown previously. I know, it was dreadful, long grueling work, but in the end it got accomplished. Probably not as fast as ALPA would have gotten it done, but in the end it took about 2 weeks from start to finish. Doesn't it take you reps about 48 hours to complete salary negotiation? I thought so, it's because you guys know what you're doing and are good at it.
Cool... what about scheduling? Did you tell them what the work rules are? Retirement, did you get that in 48 hours? Furlough benefits? Force majeure? COLA increases? Health benefits?

Let's not even discuss scheduling, that sucks! 14 min days off. I tell ya, they're trying to break me! You know these guys also told me they were paying for my type rating?! The nerve! Every real professional pilot pays his way to the top, just ask PFT128. He's a real man!
Is that codified?

I must go now, but don't worry, I will be back later.
Why? If you are glad you are rid of ALPA and you have no dog in this fight, why do you spend the time? What do you have to gain by being immature and unprofessional on this message board?

Have you demonstrated professionalism on this board? Why do you expect me to believe you are a professional on the flight deck?

Rez, when I first started reading all your treads I thought you were just asking questions because you really wanted to know the answer, along with making that person think about what they're saying. Very educational in you.

Then after a while I realized you were just asking all those question because you were like that guy in recurrent who had to question every thing, causing class to get out later than scheduled.

But now I have figured it out. You slipped up and released your real identity.
You're wife of a pilot. Your husband is on the road, and since you have no one else to nag to death with all your questions and complaining, you come on here and make our lives miserable. Good work, I applaud you for your good work.

Rez, you've made your point. I see and understand it. Since I still get my ALPA magazine, and haven't paid dues in years, I guess that make me a Semi-Professional pilot. Since I get to read about all the good work you guys are doing and it makes me safer, I guess. So now that I am feeling better about being a Semi Professional pilot, I will do my best to be as professional as possible.
From here on out I will talk and discuss thing professional pilots do.
That being said here are my first professional pilot questions :

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison? and last but not least, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Take your time, I want serious/honest answers.
Thanks,
Semi-Professional Pilot

Rez, when I first started reading all your treads I thought you were just asking questions because you really wanted to know the answer, along with making that person think about what they're saying. Very educational in you.

He does it because that is what he's been taught to do to stymie opposition. He's basically a Commie masquerading an individual with a message. You sling mud for responses. What is the difference? Both of your are full of poop.

So you are saying that you're a Semi...?

It must still bother you when industry outsiders ask if you are building your hours to go work for the airlines.... and what do you think of Sully.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back