• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quit Airline; now Corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
8.33 is the reduction of VHF frequency spacing from 25 kHz to 8.33 kHz, which alleviates frequency congestion. I think enhanced flight ID uses Mode S transponders for interrogation (I believe the interrogation methods fall within the Geneva Convention;)).

I'm sure I'll be excoriated by someone here for asking, but what is enhanced flight ID and 8.33 spacing? If you don't feel like typing, a link or two would be sufficient. Amazingly, I am familiar with RVSM.
Thanks

8.33 is the reduction of VHF frequency spacing from 25 kHz to 8.33 kHz, which alleviates frequency congestion. I think enhanced flight ID uses Mode S transponders for interrogation (I believe the interrogation methods fall within the Geneva Convention;)).
Thanks, I guess I'm familiar with the 8.33, I just didn't know what it was called.:blush:
Not too sure about the interrogation. Last time, ATC made me wear a dog leash and form a naked human pyramid...:bawling:
Thanks for the help!

I'm sure I'll be excoriated by someone here for asking, but what is enhanced flight ID and 8.33 spacing? If you don't feel like typing, a link or two would be sufficient. Amazingly, I am familiar with RVSM.
Thanks

It's a transponder capable of nailing you butt to a wall.

This takes a transponders capabilities far beyond mode A,C or S. It was started by ICAO and is going to be mandated in certain European countries by 3/31/07

http://www.eurocontrol.int/msa/public/faq/faq.html

The enhanced flight ID is a derivitive of the first generation or elementary flight ID. Your current transmitter code gets replaced with a new code know as Flight ID, (our radio remote tuning units had to be modified along with other components)

The new code has the capability to transmit altitude within 25 feet, not only the altitude that you are flying but the one that you have pre-selected in your altitude window, Magnetic heading, IAS/Mach number, & VSI just to mention a few (and yes their are more).

Certain aircraft do not have the capability to transmit all of the data required and the JAA understands this BUT an exemption form must be filled out.

8.33 spacing came out of the need for more radio frequencies in Europe, too much congestion.

http://www.eurocontrol.int/vhf833/public/subsite_homepage/homepage.html

It's a transponder capable of nailing you butt to a wall.

This takes a transponders capabilities far beyond mode A,C or S. It was started by ICAO and is going to be mandated in certain European countries by 3/31/07

http://www.eurocontrol.int/msa/public/faq/faq.html

The enhanced flight ID is a derivitive of the first generation or elementary flight ID. Your current transmitter code gets replaced with a new code know as Flight ID, (our radio remote tuning units had to be modified along with other components)

The new code has the capability to transmit altitude within 25 feet, not only the altitude that you are flying but the one that you have pre-selected in your altitude window, Magnetic heading, IAS/Mach number, & VSI just to mention a few (and yes their are more).

Certain aircraft do not have the capability to transmit all of the data required and the JAA understands this BUT an exemption form must be filled out.

8.33 spacing came out of the need for more radio frequencies in Europe, too much congestion.

http://www.eurocontrol.int/vhf833/public/subsite_homepage/homepage.html
Thank you.

NGT...that was an Excellent post..Someday if I'm lucky I'll be able to buy you a cuppa Joe and listen to you talk about your passion of flying...
Sometimes it seems that my fellow pilots forget why they started flying
PC12

It's funny to hear this from so many! I started this major airline job 4 years ago, after flying corporate for several years.... It's definately not what I had in mind when I started, and not a day goes by that I don't doubt my decision. Now that another merger is in the works, I'm loking even harder for a good corporate gig....

not to accept a Dalton departure from KTEB unless your wife is giving birth

Interesting comment. I've only done it 2 or 3 times, and have been pleasantly surprised how well it works. Any horror stories you want to share? Seems like it's better than sitting on the ground for 1 1/2hr waiting for the EWR overflights to end, but I'm all ears.

Interesting comment. I've only done it 2 or 3 times, and have been pleasantly surprised how well it works. Any horror stories you want to share? Seems like it's better than sitting on the ground for 1 1/2hr waiting for the EWR overflights to end, but I'm all ears.

When it works, it works great! When it doesn't work you are at 190kts, 1000-1200(AGL), VFR in New York airspace. Helicopters to MMU. GA between TEB/EWR/MMU/& CDW. Day or Night with visibility as low as 3 miles. Expect IFR means exactly that and on some occasions you can make it half way to MMU before they call you back. Do you carry VFR charts handy? Find the LOST COMM portion for Dalton Departure, if you do please post it. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying I've done it enough times to not except unless it is an emergency for me!

You can takeoff Runway 15 at Aspen(with written permission from the airport manager) to get you out quicker. I don't recommend that one either!

Good Luck!!
http://www.teb.com/CommutingTravel/airports/pdfs/TEBDaltonDepartureRoute.pdf

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back