Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Huggyu2

Live to fly; fly to live
For those that said adios to the Major Airline industry and went corporate/charter/frac, are you still glad you did it? Do you have a better QOL? How long did it take to equal the previous QOL?

do a thread search... I think you'll find that those of us that were fortunate enough to make it out of 121 have never and will never look back. I did it about 5 months ago and my life has never been better. No drama, no bitching, no management, etc. I work for a man who wants me to work for him and be happy with my job. Granted I fell(it fell on to me, actually) in to a dream job, but it was the best thing I ever did for myself. QOL improved right away. Your mileage may vary; Depends purely on the job. The primary difference in my opinion is that the corporate market is willing to compensate(by and large) to assure quality applicants/employees to handle their high dollar assets--passengers as well as equipment. Good luck and check the airline attitude @ the door. That stereotype will be the biggest obstacle to overcome in getting a job.

One of our guys is a furloughed US Airways B737 pilot. When we hired him several years ago we did not require that he forfeit his seniority number. When he was recalled this year, he didn't go back.

GV

For those that said adios to the Major Airline industry and went corporate/charter/frac, are you still glad you did it? Do you have a better QOL? How long did it take to equal the previous QOL?

Made it out to a corporate job, increased my pay twice what I was making and I usually go home every night. Our owner is great with the crew, we fly a two year old airframe and even stay at better hotels! And the best part, I fly out of my home town. For me, things improved from day one!

I miss the airlines in some respects (semi predictable schedule vs on-call), but this is a much better deal for my family! Best of luck to all trying to make the jump!

Last edited:
I resigned from DAL this spring. Pay was a slightly lower, but will be even or better within the next few months. QOL is definitely better, job is a lot more fun, great boss(es), better benefits, etc. The only thing I can think of that isn't as good is the location. Other than that, it's been a great move with no regrets.

Back in March of 2000 I was flying for NWA, quiting to go to DAL with a class date at JetBlue and an interview at AA.

I went from G5 captain, to sitting reserve in Detroit with 10 other guys sharing at a room at the airport Holiday Inn just so I could sit sideways on a 727. I have NEVER kicked myself so hard but, at least I got to wear the hat (LOL).

Jump ahead to 9/2006. I have never been happier and dread the day I would ever have to go back.

With that being said, I am still holding onto my AA number. I would love to stay at my current gig forever but the CEO has to retire someday(that's when my gravy train comes to an end).

By keeping the number it's an insurance policy to keep food on the table. One I would rather not have to use but the problem with corporate is for every descent job out there, their are 2 that are OK, and 3 that stink. Airline jobs IMHO, are just like really bad corporate jobs, only one step better because you get a schedule for the month.

I think there are an awful lot of us "airline" types trying to make the move. Unfortunately there seems to be quite a bias against us due to severe stereotypes. I think a lot of the jobs we would like to have are probably much better than airline jobs, and certainly some are worse.

One of the very few nibbles I've had resulted in a recent interview with the owner couple and the director of a new aviation department. Sounded like a pretty good deal and I'm very interested. Unfortunately, one of the first questions was about the airline stereotype and my feelings about the job since the airplane salesman had prejudiced the purchaser against airline types. One of them told me the salesman specifically mentioned being leary of airline types because they just wanna show up, fly and go home. It's very hard to convince someone otherwise that you're one of the few who's willing to actually work hard and take pride in being more involved in the operations if they have a pre-concieved attitude about you.

I suspect the hardest/most frustrating part of corporate is getting the job! If we can get past that it should be good.

Good luck.

I am happy for you guys who are in a good corp gig now. Unfortunately, I left the airlines several years ago and deeply regret it. I am on the road just as much as I was with the airlines (I was a commuter), but when I am home I have to go into the office. When on the road, we are the passengers servants...we carry golf bags and drive the pax around to bars while they drink (of course we don't get to). I feel it is degrading. On a positve note, they have never questioned an expense report.

I am happy for you guys who are in a good corp gig now. Unfortunately, I left the airlines several years ago and deeply regret it. I am on the road just as much as I was with the airlines (I was a commuter), but when I am home I have to go into the office. When on the road, we are the passengers servants...we carry golf bags and drive the pax around to bars while they drink (of course we don't get to). I feel it is degrading. On a positive note, they have never questioned an expense report.

Do you think there would be a way to negotiate up front to avoid that sort of treatment or would it cost you the job no matter how you try to approach it. I'm thinking you make a salary to fly the plane and if they want you to carry golf bags or shuttle them to the bar then a $60/hr rate applies.

I don't know of a tactfull way to bring this up into a job interview.

I left the airlines July 2005. Went from the A300 to a Cheyenne. I miss flying the big plane but thats pretty much about it. I was a little freaked out about the decision at first but I really hated commuting, working nights, and the winters where I was based. Now I wouldnt go back for anything. I sometimes comercial and have flashbacks of commuting....no thanks.

cf

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back