Quickest way Airline/Corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyingboricua

I'm a 30 year old student currently working on my Private, and was wondering if anyone had some input on what the quickest way was to get in line with the big dogs...Currently I'm obtaining my private from the local FBO but at one time considered doing the 4yr Aviation degree at several colleges. I inquired about Delta Connection, Spartan, Flight Safety, and Embry R. Not too long ago I heard about the Mesa Pilot developing program and got even more confused.
Now I'm considering just finishing all my ratings at the local FBO and getting a 4yr degree online to go along with the ratings.
At the same time, I've landed a job as a Flight Attendant with a good airline....

PLEASE HELP!!!!

The latter option is usually suggested as the best. Nobody cares where you got your ratings, or where/what your degree is. It's the experience, hours, and networking that counts.

(take that for what it's worth....I speak second hand knowledge only....)

I had a feeling that was going to be the answer....Many times I said that same thing to myself I just needed to hear that from someone in the business. Thank you.

Personally, I'd look for the best way and not the quickest.. But I suppose that depends on the kind of pilot you wish to become. Think about it.

taloft said:
Personally, I'd look for the best way and not the quickest.. But I suppose that depends on the kind of pilot you wish to become. Think about it.

Not surprised by your response, I'm not ruling out quality.

taloft said:

I'm just a bit concerned about my age and the time I have left to get a good career going as a pilot.

DO NOT GO TO AN ACADEMY!!! It's a complete waste of money. Why spend $100k for the same ratings that cost 30-40K elsewhere? How do you pay back $100k making $22k/yr at a regional?

Finish your ratings at your local mom & pop FBO. Get your CFI, II, MEI and instruct for 1,000 or so hours. Have a great attitude and be nice to EVERY person you meet. I got several good job offers just by going the extra mile and helping others around the airport: i.e. that old guy that comes in for the dreaded BFR just might be the CEO of a company with a big flight dept (seen it happen).

Once you get a year or two of CFI'ing under your belt you'll be able to choose from the usual entry-level jobs: Cargo, Charter, Regionals, etc. Your choice of going corp or airline will help decide which route to take.

IMHO- a good corp gig beats ANY airline job.

Great idea about finishing your degree.

GOOD LUCK!!!

HMR said:
DO NOT GO TO AN ACADEMY!!! It's a complete waste of money. Why spend $100k for the same ratings that cost 30-40K elsewhere? How do you pay back $100k making $22k/yr at a regional?

Finish your ratings at your local mom & pop FBO. Get your CFI, II, MEI and instruct for 1,000 or so hours. Have a great attitude and be nice to EVERY person you meet. I got several good job offers just by going the extra mile and helping others around the airport: i.e. that old guy that comes in for the dreaded BFR just might be the CEO of a company with a big flight dept (seen it happen).

Once you get a year or two of CFI'ing under your belt you'll be able to choose from the usual entry-level jobs: Cargo, Charter, Regionals, etc. Your choice of going corp or airline will help decide which route to take.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks dude!!

HMR said:

GOOD LUCK!!!

HMR is right on - could not agree more with the above! If one has some self discipline / motivation there is certainly NO reason to go to some dumba$$ "Aviation Academy".

and yes, I have also seen a Fortune 50 CEO wander into the flight school I worked at looking for BFR's. His company had 4 Falcons on theother side of the airport....never know where a networking opportunity comes us!

Latest resources

Back